Sponsored by:

GT Nav vs GTS Nav

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 09:10 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts
Default GT Nav vs GTS Nav

I'm an avid user of Harley Ride Planner. I had a 2014 Street Glide Special & 2015 Ultra Limited. Between the two of them, probably 120K miles & I used the Boom GT a lot. (I've never had any real issues with it). I totaled my 2015 back in April. Found a steal on a 2020 Road Glide Limited. Of course it has the GTS. I think I actually liked the GT Nav better. If I'm missing a setting, let me know. Case in point: the current time & time to destination tabs are smaller & harder to see. Checking ambient temp on GT required one push of a button. It's three moves on the GTS. The GT would tell me how far to the next turn. The GTS doesn't show anything until less than two miles. The bottom of the GT would show what song I was playing. Ain't figured out how to get the GTS to do that. There are things I like about the GTS. I like being able to "Send To Bike" from HD app instead of loading it on a stick. I being able expand with my finger. Also, on my route yesterday, It had all kind weird ways it wanted me to go, and I put plenty of waypoints in it. Possible a Ride Planner glitch. I copied the route below. But I think I'd be happier the GT. Guys that use them regular & know what I'm talking about, chime in & let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/cTA-FvHo3

Old 08-05-2024, 09:30 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
I'm an avid user of Harley Ride Planner. I had a 2014 Street Glide Special & 2015 Ultra Limited. Between the two of them, probably 120K miles & I used the Boom GT a lot. (I've never had any real issues with it). I totaled my 2015 back in April. Found a steal on a 2020 Road Glide Limited. Of course it has the GTS. I think I actually liked the GT Nav better. If I'm missing a setting, let me know. Case in point: the current time & time to destination tabs are smaller & harder to see. Checking ambient temp on GT required one push of a button. It's three moves on the GTS. The GT would tell me how far to the next turn. The GTS doesn't show anything until less than two miles. The bottom of the GT would show what song I was playing. Ain't figured out how to get the GTS to do that. There are things I like about the GTS. I like being able to "Send To Bike" from HD app instead of loading it on a stick. I being able expand with my finger. Also, on my route yesterday, It had all kind weird ways it wanted me to go, and I put plenty of waypoints in it. Possible a Ride Planner glitch. I copied the route below. But I think I'd be happier the GT. Guys that use them regular & know what I'm talking about, chime in & let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/cTA-FvHo3
I love the GTS - much better than the GT. Stay here and we can help you with a few things. First, let's fix the song being shown.

Go into your setting and click audio info. This will now show your song. Once you have that done, come back and let's talk about google maps. Are you apple or android auto?

The following 3 users liked this post by cycle7447:
BigDawgQC (08-06-2024), H-D_Doug (08-06-2024), smitty901 (09-03-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 04:47 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

In the NAV Settings, it you have alternate routes clicked on, it will show you alternates, upper right corner is the place to click to get your programed route.

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 05:41 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I tried really hard to like the GTS Nav. I can't. It just doesn't work, and Harley's vendor has not been able to make it not suck. I even purchased the new 2024 maps for a big trip I did this year, and had to quit using on the first day because it was so inaccurate. Now I only use it if I have no cell service to use Apple/Google maps, which is very rare. Good luck to you.

BigDawgQC (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 05:47 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,177 Posts

OP - I opened your map. Curious, why all of the waypoints on the Blue Ridge Parkway - this is a continuous road and I am not certain why you added the waypoints.

BigDawgQC (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 06:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,065 Likes on 3,631 Posts

I gave up and just use a Garmin on a RAM mount. I have free lifetime maps a the screen is way bigger. I tried a few times but to me the HD Nav is not user friendly and doesn’t seem too accurate. Plus I’m not paying for an upgrade that is out of date.
The only time I use it is if it’s raining so bad and i need to put my Garmin away. If it would ever die on the road on a trip I would pull in a Walmart or Bestbuy and buy a new one.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 08-06-2024 at 06:23 AM.
BigDawgQC (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:55 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 577 Posts

I use Google maps for the live traffic. It will steer you around backs and let you know about speed traps.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fireball Jack:
BigDawgQC (08-06-2024), cycle7447 (08-06-2024), Stopit (09-03-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 10:30 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I love the GTS - much better than the GT. Stay here and we can help you with a few things. First, let's fix the song being shown.

Go into your setting and click audio info. This will now show your song. Once you have that done, come back and let's talk about google maps. Are you apple or android auto?
I will check on this when I get home. I have an iPhone. I use Google Maps with CarPlay sometimes. But I prefer the GTS. Again, I don't like the small lettering on the bottom two tabs telling me the current time & time at destination. And the Shark is even worse because the distance from me is farther than the Batwing was.

Old 08-06-2024, 10:31 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
In the NAV Settings, it you have alternate routes clicked on, it will show you alternates, upper right corner is the place to click to get your programed route.
This could be my issue. I'll check on it when I get home. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2024, 10:32 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 702
I tried really hard to like the GTS Nav. I can't. It just doesn't work, and Harley's vendor has not been able to make it not suck. I even purchased the new 2024 maps for a big trip I did this year, and had to quit using on the first day because it was so inaccurate. Now I only use it if I have no cell service to use Apple/Google maps, which is very rare. Good luck to you.
I still like it & have never had that much of an issue with it, including accuracy & functioning.

GaJayhawk (08-06-2024)

Quick Reply: GT Nav vs GTS Nav