Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay - Single-DIN Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024, 11:05 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay - Single-DIN Head Unit

SO. I was going down the 'rabbit hole' of researching adding a CarPlay Head Unit to a 2004 Ultra Classic.

Everything was pointing me towards the Metra Double-DIN Inner Fairing...and a Sony Head Unit to fit it.

But. Thru a crazy-amount of time using The Googles, I stumbled across the Power Acoustik CP-71W...a single-DIN, Wired-Wireless CarPlay radio.
This is apparently a radio that hit the market about 2-years ago...and got a lot of traction in the Honda S2000 car community due to the unique layout of the dashboard & dash controls.
There are a few random posts/videos from a couple of (older model) BMW drivers...and some (limited) chat on a Lotus & Ferrari Forum.
​​​​​​​I really couldn't find anyone that's used it on a Harley.

Anyway - I did as much research as I could...and end ended-up grabbing one of the CP-71W Head Units.
​​​​​​​I already had a Single-DIN mounting Kit...and a Scosche Handlebar Control Interface for a previous swap from the OEM H-D radio to a JVC - so it was a pretty easy upgrade.

All said. It seems to be a properly good setup
Operation/boot time is responsive & quick
Wireless CarPlay is awesome
Map Screen is a bit small, but usable
Has a USB-C port on the face for charging a phone
Screen is a bit difficult to see when the sun is causing reflection, but I expected that to be a problem.

All-in-all. I'm pretty happy with this - and not having to do a replacement of the entire Inner Fairing to get CarPlay capability.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jumpman:
aharleyrider (08-16-2024), BrandonSmith (08-08-2024), cycle7447 (08-04-2024), pgreer (08-06-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 03:15 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I am always excited to see the kinds of things that folks here come up with.

OP, thanks - this will certainly help someone. Looks good.

Old 08-05-2024, 11:11 AM
ultraglide12
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice it's good to see something for our bikes I just wonder how it will hold up

Old 08-05-2024, 01:21 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior
Received 539 Likes on 436 Posts

Dude, that's bad ***! Nice find man. A little more reasonable than the $1000 Sound Stream.

Old 08-05-2024, 01:54 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member

Received 6,053 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Will it allow you to send the audio to a Cardo or Sena, etc. to have music and GPS info in your ear, rather than just outside the helmet where they cannot be heard?

That seems to be the missing component for every aftermarket radio upgrade that I've seen so far, the Rockford Fosgate model (which I have) included.
I don't even turn it on, I just stream from my phone to the Cardo.

Old 08-06-2024, 07:21 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
Will it allow you to send the audio to a Cardo or Sena, etc. to have music and GPS info in your ear, rather than just outside the helmet where they cannot be heard?

That seems to be the missing component for every aftermarket radio upgrade that I've seen so far, the Rockford Fosgate model (which I have) included.
I don't even turn it on, I just stream from my phone to the Cardo.

Sorry. Not sure. I'm unfamiliar with those products and don't know what communication method they use/require.

Old 08-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

@cshocker Agreed.

I'm curious. Any chance you've posed an overview of your Audio System here (or YouTube)? I'm curious to see what the Boom/RF Stage 7, noted in your signature, consists of...

Old 08-08-2024, 09:40 AM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jumpman
@cshocker Agreed.

I'm curious. Any chance you've posed an overview of your Audio System here (or YouTube)? I'm curious to see what the Boom/RF Stage 7, noted in your signature, consists of...
LOL, top secret!

Yeah man, I have 2 bikes with audio. My Harley is a mutt and has older equipment.

My 2009 Street has regular single din Sony HU, Faital 6HX150's in fairing, Cicada CH 8's in lowers, Ground Zero *8" Neo black basket in lids with Bema buckets, DD horns in lids, Euphoria EX10NMB in ported, non-sealed Top Shop bags. Running SD amps: 2400 and 400 in fairing and 3K in tour pack and a Dayton DSP in fairing.

My 2021 Indian Challenger is running (2) SD 800.4 in fairing with ARC PSM Pro DSP. GZ red basket coax in fairing and Euphoria EX6NCD-CF in the lids. I have a set of 8" lids coming this weekend and will be trying some Mmats Neo8FCcx and Euphoria EX8NMB-CF. I already know I will love the Euphorias for the midbass in the lids, but might miss some volume and vocals back there. Will just have to see...

The following users liked this post:
Jumpman (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 12:41 PM
tankthebiker
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

I am curious about the weather proofing in this unit. I daily drive my ride and it gets wet alot.

Old 08-08-2024, 12:44 PM
cshocker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tankthebiker
I am curious about the weather proofing in this unit. I daily drive my ride and it gets wet alot.
Easy fix:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003HDK...Kit-Black.html

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay - Single-DIN Head Unit