EVO All Evo Model Discussion

fuel in crank case, diagnose help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 07:47 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default fuel in crank case, diagnose help?

hi.
1995 wideglide cv carb
went to take her for a ride for the first time in about 3 months. i checked the oil before i started like always and the case was full of gas mixed in the oil,
the pepcock was on ,i always leave it on, but i pulled the carb with the pepcock open no fuel comes out so the diaphram in the pepcock is good..
i pulled the carb then the carb bowl took out the float it is not cracked, i blew out the jets but the carb appears to be fine.

could the carb need a rebuild?
\
thanks

Old 08-03-2024, 07:55 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,695 Likes on 7,544 Posts

The petcock is there for a reason, use it to shut off the gas when you are not running the motorcycle.

May be a slow leak past the petcock diaphragm and your float not adjusted just right not shutting off the flow with the needle seat.

Pulling the carb may have loosened a stuck float.

Use the petcock shut-off for piece of mind.

The following 7 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
86glider (08-04-2024), Architect (08-07-2024), Goose_NC (08-06-2024), Ohio HD (08-03-2024), Paintslinger16 (08-03-2024), Racepres (08-04-2024), Sportfisher23 (08-06-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-03-2024, 07:56 PM
Ohio HD
Road Captain
Received 673 Likes on 377 Posts

Define how much fuel is "full of fuel".

The carburetor only holds about a 1/2 a cup of fuel. If it was more than that, the petcock was letting fuel past.

Last edited by Ohio HD; 08-03-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ohio HD
Define how much fuel is "full of fuel".

The carburetor only holds about a 1/2 a cup of fuel. If it was more than that, the petcock was letting fuel past.
seems like enough the dilute the oild to change the color and it drips off the stick looks thin and smells of gas.

carb off pepcock open no fuel comes out, maybe i will go back out to the garage and leave the pepcock open all night with a bucket under the hose and see if it leaks.

Old 08-03-2024, 08:21 PM
Ohio HD
Road Captain
Received 673 Likes on 377 Posts

It's also possible that you've had fuel leaking in there all the while you rode it before it was parked. In that case the carburetor would be at fault. But it should have been running poorly.

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 06:14 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Your bike is 29 years old so if the following parts mentioned have not been replaced in the past couple of years, then do so!

Get a new non vacuum operated petcock and get in the habit of turning it off when you stop riding for any length of time. Replace fuel line from petcock to carb and replace vacuum line from carb to VOES if either of the hoses is more than a few years old. Don't forget the 3/16" bottom of the tank crossover fuel line (line that goes from one side of tank to the other).

Give the carb a good once over cleaning, replace the float needle. Make sure you get the correct (duplicate needle) float needle. Should be a 4 sided float needle. Get a OEM float needle if you can find, CV Performance if you can't. Consider new carb to manifold and intake seals just because of age. Could probably wait on the intake manifold seals till winter if not familiar with changing them. (do some homework on how to)

Clean the seat the float needle sits in. Use some polishing compound on a Q-tip to clean up the seat as it is not replaceable. Spin Q-tip with fingers and make sure it's shiny and clean. Use carb spray to clean the residual polishing compound. Check float height-this is tricky and there is a specific way of doing it.

https://cv-performance.com/carburetor-parts

Your bike will not sump oil into the crankcase because the oil tank is lower than the oil pump and oil pump check valve. So the amount of oil in your crankcase is minimal at best. Your oil is getting fuel diluted by either an overly rich condition or the float/needle is leaking fuel into the engine. Check your spark plugs for an overly rich condition and change your oil/filter to get the diluted fuel out.

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 08-04-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Ohio HD (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 08:35 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I guess My first question is...Who/Why check oil Before Starting??? RTFM
Then, I do Not see how anything could get into Oil Tank without bike Running.. Please explain How you check your Crankcase...
Good lesson to Use the Petcock!!! regardless

Last edited by Racepres; 08-04-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Yankee Dog (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 08:55 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
seems like enough the dilute the oild to change the color and it drips off the stick looks thin and smells of gas.

carb off pepcock open no fuel comes out, maybe i will go back out to the garage and leave the pepcock open all night with a bucket under the hose and see if it leaks.
When you do, run a hose off the vacuum side of the petcock to a separate bucket with a paper towel in the bottom, see if it leaks out that side overnight.

Leaking thru the vacuum side over time will put it straight into the manifold past he rings into the crankcase. It's happened more a few times on newer bikes than that.

The following 3 users liked this post by t150vej:
Max Headflow (08-04-2024), Ohio HD (08-04-2024), Yankee Dog (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Racepres
Then, I do Not see how anything could get into Oil Tank without bike Running.. Please explain How you check your Crankcase...
the petcock is vacuum actuated, even if its on gas will not flow unless the motor is running, that is the purpose if it.

thanks

Old 08-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master

Originally Posted by Racepres
don't you check your oil?

Quick Reply: fuel in crank case, diagnose help?