2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Full Size Engine Guard on 2024

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 07:02 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 305 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Full Size Engine Guard on 2024

I know this has been discussed in different forms on here but this is what I found yesterday.

I have been setting up my new 2024 Road Glide. Yesterday, I test fit my full size engine engine guard from my former 2021 Road Glide. Space is very tight with the new cooling system. In order to get the top engine guard mount into the area behind the upper frame tab, it appears that the radiator assembly will have to be dropped down a bit. The problem is the engine guards width and manipulating the lower guard mounts past the radiator and hoses. the main thing I found was when connected to the lower frame, the left side lower guard mount slightly compresses the rubber hose going to the pump. I personally don't think this would be an issue however, this being a new bike, if anything did happen it would be considered my fault. I may remount the full size guard after the 1000 mile service. I have never had a bike back to the dealer for a service or work as I do my own but a free, 1000 mile service was part of the deal and with some of the update issues I want it checked. The tech would no doubt see the full size guard and the lower boss making contact with the left side hose.

I did not get the to guard boss to mount behind the frame tab. I may give this another shot when I have the front end off to install my Wilbers springs and chrome lowers when they become available. The stock chopped bars lower, left side mounting boss is contoured to not contact the hose. I personally hate the chopped bar. I run a +2 Soft Brake pedal and it is very close to the chopped bar. Will have to do for now as I need the space to stretch my feet and legs forward (which the chopped bar hinders). I would "assume" HD will come out with a full size guard for these models at some point. Don't know if the Flat Out bar would work with my +2 brake lever any better or not.

Anyone in this group actually installed a full size guard and if so, did you have contact with the left side hose also?

Klammer

Old 07-27-2024, 07:21 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Dealer did a test for me when I was purchasing. They said everything fit fine (other than the lowers without modification) and there was no issue with the radiator or hoses.

Old 07-27-2024, 11:37 AM
klammer76
Road Master

Originally Posted by dawg

Dealer did a test for me when I was purchasing. They said everything fit fine (other than the lowers without modification) and there was no issue with the radiator or hoses.
I actually used your picture and info as an example when I decided to go forward with the swap. I recall you posting it back a few months ago. If you could check with them sometime as to how they got the top boss into place under the frame cross over on top. Did they have to unbolt and lower the radiator? I’m flying blindright now as service manual hasn’t come in. On mine, all hoses and wiring are very tight.

Old 07-27-2024, 11:55 AM
klammer76
Road Master

Naturally, I didn't take a picture yesterday of the full size guard boss pushing slightly on the hose (tired, hot and frustrated). This is the chopped guard and the pencil points to area that the full size boss was touching slightly. A small amount of time on my friends fab shop belt sander would probably remedy the issue. Interested to hear how they got the top guard boss under and then the lower bosses into place. Way to much in the way on mine but, I was working solo and it's impossible to see both sides.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-29-2024)
Old Today, 02:22 AM
RoadGlideRyanYT
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am following this thread due to, I am also wanting to add lowers to my bike and make them work. Is there a solution? I have a 2024 Road Glide