Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

2024 Street/Road Glide Rear Brake issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 07:51 AM
srms411
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2024 Street/Road Glide Rear Brake issue ?

Hello all,

I have a 2024 Street Glide and it is a great motorcycle. I am very happy with it and must say it is definitely a step up from the previous touring generation. This being my 5th touring Harley, I am very familiar with the dynamics of the bike and what is not typical.

I have about 1000 miles on it and I am starting to get feedback on the rear brake sporadically. When I depress the rear brake pedal independently or simultaneously with the front brake, it pulsates and does not depress gradually downward as rear brakes traditionally do. This occurs at high speeds and slow speeds. I have not changed my braking habits from the previous bikes I have had and none of those had to have their brakes charged due to excessive wear or improper use.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, if it is one, with their 2024 Street/Road glide?

Old 07-12-2024, 08:00 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 4,769 Posts

Originally Posted by srms411
Hello all,

I have a 2024 Street Glide and it is a great motorcycle. I am very happy with it and must say it is definitely a step up from the previous touring generation. This being my 5th touring Harley, I am very familiar with the dynamics of the bike and what is not typical.

I have about 1000 miles on it and I am starting to get feedback on the rear brake sporadically. When I depress the rear brake pedal independently or simultaneously with the front brake, it pulsates and does not depress gradually downward as rear brakes traditionally do. This occurs at high speeds and slow speeds. I have not changed my braking habits from the previous bikes I have had and none of those had to have their brakes charged due to excessive wear or improper use.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, if it is one, with their 2024 Street/Road glide?
not normal.., maybe air, get master cylinder flushed under warranty if service tech can replicate / validate on a test ride

Old 07-12-2024, 08:06 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

the new tourings are equipped with a combined brakes system. This means that when you use the lever OR the pedal, both brakes work.

the pulses you feel are due to the activation of the abs, which intervenes (probably) because of the excessive braking force required by acting on the lever and pedal at the same time, or ABS sensor fault

the pedal works for rear brake only, when speed is lower than 15mph (if i'm not wrong) ore lean angle is more than X° according to what the bike system sensors detect

Last edited by Hedonism; 07-12-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:11 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hedonism
the new tourings are equipped with a combined brakes system. This means that when you use the lever OR the pedal, both brakes work.

the pulses you feel are due to the activation of the abs, which intervenes because of the excessive braking force required by acting on the lever and pedal at the same time.

to avoid this, use only the front lever.

the pedal works for rear brake only, when speed is lower than 15mph (if i'm not wrong) ore lean angle is more than X° according to what the bike system sensors detect
new? the reflex linked ABS system began during Rushmore era ~ a decade ago .. I have had 4 during this era from inception until now with nearly 150,000 miles of riding them and can't relate to OPs observation on their behavior

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-12-2024 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
klammer76 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 08:16 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 141 Posts

I feel a “buzz” in mine occasionally but only in the front brake lever. I use the front brake over the rear 80% of the time. I wonder if it is feedback to tell us we are engaging the linked braking.

I can’t find anything about it in the owners manual but I’ve either read something about that in the manual, forums or I imagined it.

Old 07-12-2024, 08:17 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
new? the reflex linked ABS system began during Rushmore era ~ a decade ago .. I have had 4 during this era from inception until now with nearly 150,000 miles of riding them and can't relate to OPs observation on their behavior
forgive me

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 08:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hedonism
forgive me
no bigee

I always use both front and rear brakes simultaneously all the time and always have and they work smoothly with no drama..if his are behaving weird as it sounds like based on his statement ...

"When I depress the rear brake pedal independently or simultaneously with the front brake, it pulsates and does not depress gradually downward as rear brakes traditionally do. This occurs at high speeds and slow speeds. "

then he and the tech can discuss and arrange to test and even compare to another new one to see if it exhibits identical behavior, which I suspect it shouldn't

Old 07-12-2024, 08:37 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 141 Posts

I will throw this in for opinions but, I think just about everything on this new platform is potentially different from previous bikes, Rushmore included. Much more techy and I would not be surprised if they actually have a feedback in the braking.

I am feeling something in mine. It isn’t unnerving or unsafe but it’s noticeable, to me anyway. Not at every stop but occasionally. The bike stops straight and smooth from speed and at slow speeds.

Old 07-12-2024, 10:13 AM
lowbar
Cruiser
Received 203 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by srms411
Hello all,

Not normal. Get it checked out.

Old 07-12-2024, 05:34 PM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Doesn’t sound normal. My braking is very smooth. Occasionally I notice the reflex linked braking kicking in if I stop fairly aggressively using the front brake, then the rear brake pedal will be firmer. I could see an occasionally pulsation due to abs kicking in in special situations, but not every time.

Quick Reply: 2024 Street/Road Glide Rear Brake issue ?