Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary setup / Conversion Question HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 12:54 PM
HumanJukeBox
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary setup / Conversion Question HELP

Bought this bike 'brand new' last October 2023 with 203 miles on it. It had been a show bike this whole time and not ridden very much. On June 14th on a ride home from work, the primary belt was shredded internally. After getting the bike home and the primary case opened, I noted that a few pieces of metal fell out with the shredded belt. Both pulleys were damaged to the point that they need to be replaced. I have no idea where these pieces of metal came from or what they are but I am sure that they had a part in the damage that occurred. Everything was tight and in place upon inspection of the setup. The rear case was cracked, both pulleys damaged and belt is toast. The Primary is a Primo Belt Drives Brute III system. The Bike has a chain final drive.
Seeing that I will have to replace the entire system including case, I have been thinking of doing a primary chain conversion but do not know what to get that will work with my setup. Or, if a chain conversion is recommended. Please any and all advice would be helpful. I will be doing this work myself, I just need to know what parts (spec wise) to get but more importantly where to get the parts from. I currently have the bike up on jack-stands and all the damaged parts have been removed. It is ready for assembly once I get the right parts or, replace the parts that already were on the bike.
HELP!!!

Note the shredded belt on the ground

Pully and case damaged in this photo

Clutch basket damaged

These are the little pieces of metal that fell out when I opened up the primary

All damaged parts removed and ready to be assembled

Current system on the bike. I can get this same setup, I should say the upgraded product if a chain conversion will not work.

This is a company called Zodiac that looks like this would be the exact replacement/conversion that would work for my bike. But, I can not find an American dealer or order from them direct as they are over seas and do not distribute to the USA

Would be willing to do something like this with a single or double chain.

Last edited by HumanJukeBox; 07-05-2024 at 01:15 PM. Reason: needed to add signature
Old 07-05-2024, 01:01 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,353 Likes on 7,717 Posts

Great first post, the official HDF greeter will be along soon to welcome you and provide useful information for your signature page.

In the mean time Year and Model of your motorcycle would be useful if you want to know what parts are needed.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 07-05-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 01:16 PM
HumanJukeBox
Stage III

edited my post, added the information in my signature

Old 07-05-2024, 01:32 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,353 Likes on 7,717 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanJukeBox
edited my post, added the information in my signature
2005 Aggressor Nightmare Custom Chopper (Softail Frame), 103" Overall length
96" S&S Motor
6 Speed Rivera Transmission
250MM rear tire, 90/90-21" front tire
Single downtube softail frame 40 deg rake 8" Backbone stretch and 0" Downtube Stretch
Seeing the information and as you have a custom motorcycle that is not a Harley, I have no help to provide.

Probably be better to visit a custom bike build forum or the manufacturer of your bike to get better information.

Any Harley parts that could be looked up probably will not fit.

Good luck with your repairs; hope it works out for you.

Old 07-05-2024, 02:36 PM
HumanJukeBox
Stage III

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Seeing the information and as you have a custom motorcycle that is not a Harley, I have no help to provide.

Probably be better to visit a custom bike build forum or the manufacturer of your bike to get better information.

Any Harley parts that could be looked up probably will not fit.

Good luck with your repairs; hope it works out for you.
The reason I am here is because although it is a custom build, the builder used Harley parts to make this bike. I have had to replace other parts on the bike already and the only parts that work/fit for my bike are Harley parts.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:15 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I would run the HD inner and outer primary and all the internals too. Pretty much bullet proof. Works well with the evo engines.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,029 Likes on 4,069 Posts

I would say that later evo dyna or softail stuff should fit but I'd try to buy a use inner primary first to make sure..

The motor has an offset spacer for the tranny probably due to a fat rear tire.. I'd suspect what killed the belt setup was improper belt alignment..

If you go to chain make sure that the front spacer seals up well. Also do a primary chain alignment..

Also it looks like your alternator rotor splines are stripped out.