Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Best diaphragm clutch conversion kit 1972

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 10:19 PM
WearyOne
Cruiser
Received 167 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Best diaphragm clutch conversion kit 1972

Does anyone have any suggestions for a a good diaphragm kit for a 1972 shovel. I have the usual pulling with the clutch in and the bike in first at a stop. Motor is a 95CI S&S with some pretty hefty cams but the stock clutch pack seems to hold the power just fine. I run the baker 6/4 box and clutch and I really like that but it is overkill for this bike but will pull the trigger if that is what I need to do.

I remember that Sifton was the go to a while back but is there anything else better out there. I distantly remember it had no instructions. Not looking at a Tamer.

Old 07-04-2024, 02:25 AM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 363 Likes on 217 Posts

any diaphragm out there EXCEPT Sifton !!!!!!
SIFTON IS OWNED BY V-TWIN & TIAWAN TED AND LIKE EVERYTHING HE HAS MADE, HIS ARE **** QUALITY AND DO NOT FIT OR WORK WELL.
HIS ARE MADE IN CHIWAN FROM MONKEY METAL IN GUTTERS BY 12 YEAR OLD'S **********AVOID V-TWIN, TIAWAN TED, SIFTON *********

Old 07-04-2024, 09:08 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,186 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I would Not consider any an Upgrade...Learn to set up the Shovelhead Clutch Correctly..Problem Solved!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Racepres:
pgreer (07-09-2024), Spanners39 (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:47 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 361 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
I would Not consider any an Upgrade...Learn to set up the Shovelhead Clutch Correctly..Problem Solved!!
my hd mech agrees with you so does my mate whos a mc mech

Old 07-05-2024, 10:14 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,303 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Evolution diaphragm clutch, tremendous upgrade. Lightest clutch of any bike I own including the hydraulic unit.

The following 3 users liked this post by Architect:
eighteight (07-08-2024), hellonewman (07-09-2024), TwiZted Biker (07-09-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:18 PM
LowriderFXS
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes go to www.evolution-industries.com, very well made in America product. Very nice people call them if you can't get an answer they will get back with you. I have one of their units in a 1978 FXS with a Sputhe 5 in 4 and wish I knew about them sooner!

Old 07-08-2024, 05:32 AM
Fritz Franz
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

After a satisfactory 1.5" primary belt install in my '73 4 spd, I later on wanted to go to a 2" open primary, bobber style. After alignment details, clutch adjustments, etc. I was ready for first kick and she fired right off. I pulled in the clutch, kicked her down into first.........! WHAM, right into the utility shed door on the carport. Holy poop, wtf? Pressure plate separation? Check. Belt tension? trial trial trial. Pully alignment? check and check again. Changed out Friction discs with new Barnett pack. NADA.(this was about 8 yrs ago, didn't know much you tube) I let the project gather dust, moving her around out of the way, riding an acquired 06 RoadKing Police(my new disaster). Then only recently a year ago or so I decided to peruse Pacific Mike videos that addressed old iron clutch issues. After combing through multitude comments section I came across the clutch dragging issue similar to WearyOne post. Per Pacific Mike, the friction disc finger holes are punched rather than drilled and this will warp the plate, making separation sketchy. The FIX is drill out those holes 25/64 (.015" over 3/8). Thank You Pacific Mike! The '73 is once again the fun ride I had always enjoyed .

The following users liked this post:
Spanners39 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 04:26 PM
WearyOne
Cruiser
Received 167 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LowriderFXS
Yes go to www.evolution-industries.com, very well made in America product. Very nice people call them if you can't get an answer they will get back with you. I have one of their units in a 1978 FXS with a Sputhe 5 in 4 and wish I knew about them sooner!
That looks like exactly what I want. I will give them a call and talk with their tech and order what I need.

Originally Posted by Fritz Franz
After a satisfactory 1.5" primary belt install in my '73 4 spd, I later on wanted to go to a 2" open primary, bobber style. After alignment details, clutch adjustments, etc. I was ready for first kick and she fired right off. I pulled in the clutch, kicked her down into first.........! WHAM, right into the utility shed door on the carport. Holy poop, wtf? Pressure plate separation? Check. Belt tension? trial trial trial. Pully alignment? check and check again. Changed out Friction discs with new Barnett pack. NADA.(this was about 8 yrs ago, didn't know much you tube) I let the project gather dust, moving her around out of the way, riding an acquired 06 RoadKing Police(my new disaster). Then only recently a year ago or so I decided to peruse Pacific Mike videos that addressed old iron clutch issues. After combing through multitude comments section I came across the clutch dragging issue similar to WearyOne post. Per Pacific Mike, the friction disc finger holes are punched rather than drilled and this will warp the plate, making separation sketchy. The FIX is drill out those holes 25/64 (.015" over 3/8). Thank You Pacific Mike! The '73 is once again the fun ride I had always enjoyed .
I drilled the holes on this one when I installed it originally, way way to tight, I was worried they would damage the mounting studs being that tight and well it was what I was taught to do as well. .

Last edited by WearyOne; 07-08-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:47 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,733 Likes on 17,794 Posts

Well, not understanding the **** on Sifton flowing in here, simple stupid to install & adjust and solid as it gets under hard use, survived my 88" and now the 93" and I abused that thing in my younger days. The hub that comes in the kits are junk, studs are soft, wear very fast and easy to strip the threads. Need instructions I'll post pictures. Can't get a simpler easy pull clutch on the old girls, I do suggest new plates and steels and make sure the plates move easy over the studs on the hub.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Architect (07-09-2024), hellonewman (07-09-2024), Racepres (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:56 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 361 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Well, not understanding the **** on Sifton flowing in here, simple stupid to install & adjust and solid as it gets under hard use, survived my 88" and now the 93" and I abused that thing in my younger days. The hub that comes in the kits are junk, studs are soft, wear very fast and easy to strip the threads. Need instructions I'll post pictures. Can't get a simpler easy pull clutch on the old girls, I do suggest new plates and steels and make sure the plates move easy over the studs on the hub.

what hub bearings do you run ?stock? i found loosening the adjuster nuts 1 turn gave me a better feel at the lever without slipage i also had to hone out the clutch shell to fit the 52 roller bearings

Last edited by john lee; 07-09-2024 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Best diaphragm clutch conversion kit 1972