Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wants to start when the bike is off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Mr Myk
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bike wants to start when the bike is off.

Okay, this one is a little hard to understand. Every one thinks it's a relay. But the problem with this theory is the bike is in the off position so the wire to the relay wouldn't be getting any power. Let me start for the beginning. I have a 2014 Ultra Limited. Had a low battery after winter, tried to start it, turned over, then got the usual click click click. When I turned off the bike, (the main key ****, not the engine turn off) the bike continued to click for a while. (weird) I had the battery charged and went to put it in, (bike completely off) I went to attach the ground and the bike immediately started to turn over. Every one says a stuck relay, but I think the solenoid doesn't have a relay on the newer bikes, I believe the solenoid is controlled by the ECM. Even still, if it was a stuck relay it wouldn't be getting power if the key was turned off, even if the relay was welded together. Anyway if I disconnect the Solenoid the bikes functions work correctly (obviously I can't start the bike the solenoid is disconnected) If connect the solenoid after I attach the battery, the bike will immediately start to turn over even if the bike is off completely. I am thinking it might be the ECM. Try to confirm this or see if anyone else has had this issue.

Old 07-01-2024, 10:55 AM
Ohio HD
Road Master
Received 716 Likes on 400 Posts

More than likely the starter solenoid in the starter is stuck in the engaged position. Worn or broken return spring, damaged plunger, etc. Take it off and bench test and disassemble.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:10 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

A weak or bad battery can damage parts for sure. I think you have a stuck solenoid, the only thing that is hot when the key is off is the starter. Try giving it some taps with a hammer, maybe it will come loose. Seen this on autos alot. Stare drive can be stuck in.

The following users liked this post:
Fireball Jack (07-02-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:24 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Hard to follow as written..
Perhaps you are using a phone instead of computer.
You have:
2014 Ultra Limited.
Bike is of unknown miles.
It is unknown if there are any changes from factory stock.
History of ownership is unknown.
You had a low battery after winter, tried to start it, turned over, then got the usual click click click.
Then you turned off the bike, (the main key ****, not the engine turn off) the bike continued to click for a while. Was the click from starter or relay???
*Reads like the starter solenoid/plunger got stuck.
The new battery caused starter to engage and get stuck due to bad solenoid.
*From a distance it reads like issue is at starter
A simple rebuild kit should get it going correctly.
Review Harley starter solenoid repair kit..Under $40 USA dollars and your labor.
Remember to disconnect the battery.
*If diagnosis is correct then damage should be easy to see when you take off the back cover to starter solenoid at the starter ( held by 3 bolts) and remove the plunger.

Not unusual if bike has a lot of miles or if someone was always repeatedly trying to get another start from a dead or sick battery.
You can go on you tube and see a few video to understand how it basically welds together.
The starter gets power directly from battery.
The starter has a trigger but in your case the trigger is not really the problem since the plunger is stuck/welded and completing the circuit.
I would also change the relay AFTER repair kit is installed.
There is the possibility that someone changed handlebars, grips or hand controls and damaged the starter switch or wires to starter switch.
That starter switch damage caused then initiated the damage to plunger but either way the starter plunger requires review.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Sounds like a shorted transistor in the BCM. Check the system fuse first..

I'd disconnect the solenoid wire from the BCM.. I assume that is what you are doing, turn the ignition on and see if everything functions OK except the starter. Turn signals, whatever.. turn the ignition off and try to plug in the solenoid wire.. If in this case the motor wants to start, ether you have something shorting the solenoid wire high or the BCM is bad.. If it don't turn over until you turn the ignition on then I'd disconnect the right hand switch.. This will throw codes but if the bike don't start, you have a stuck starter button..

You can check codes at each step. That might help. It wouldn't surprise me if you get an error referencing solenoid wire shorted high..

It sounds like which the low battery, somehow the processor in the BCM got hung up and left the solenoid wire connected. It may have overheated the transistor in the BCM and shorted it out..

Old 07-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

I should add that if you disconnect the solenoid wire from the starter solenoid and the starter does not try to turn over the motor, it's not the solenoid.. It could be if when you press the start but it does engage and not stop it could be a sticking solenoid or stucky button..

Old 07-01-2024, 11:54 AM
Mr Myk
Novice

If that was the case, it wouldn't start turning till you turned the key on.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:55 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

It only engages when he hooks the battery up. That's why i said it could be the starter drive stuck engaged. Maybe pull the outer primary cover and take a look and he could try and push the starter drive back in if it's out. Do this with the battery unhooked from the bike.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:56 AM
Mr Myk
Novice

It starts when the key is off. Even if the Silenoid was stuck it wouldn't turn over till I turn the key.

Old 07-01-2024, 12:09 PM
Mr Myk
Novice

Originally Posted by im
Hard to follow as written..
Perhaps you are using a phone instead of computer.
You have:
2014 Ultra Limited.
Bike is of unknown miles. 33K
It is unknown if there are any changes from factory stock. No
History of ownership is unknown. Original Owner
You had a low battery after winter, tried to start it, turned over, then got the usual click click click.
Then you turned off the bike, (the main key ****, not the engine turn off) the bike continued to click for a while. Was the click from starter or relay??? The Click click click probably came from the solenoid at the time. Once the battery was recharge the starter will turn over just fine, if I disconnect the solenoid (not the starter) Connect the battery, Here is the thing. If I turn the key on, and temporarily touch the solenoid connect it will start the bike, but I have to pull the solenoid cable after it starts. Now if I turn the bike off (everything the starter button, the key, the kill with, everything) and I attach the solenoid cable, remember the bike is off off. The bike will start to turn over, not start, just turn over, It won't start because the key is off.
*Reads like the starter solenoid/plunger got stuck. I check the solenoid, it works fine.
The new battery caused starter to engage and get stuck due to bad solenoid. Not stuck. The solenoid is getting power when the bike is off.
*From a distance it reads like issue is at starter
A simple rebuild kit should get it going correctly.
Review Harley starter solenoid repair kit..Under $40 USA dollars and your labor.
Remember to disconnect the battery.
*If diagnosis is correct then damage should be easy to see when you take off the back cover to starter solenoid at the starter ( held by 3 bolts) and remove the plunger.
Not unusual if bike has a lot of miles or if someone was always repeatedly trying to get another start from a dead or sick battery.
You can go on you tube and see a few video to understand how it basically welds together.
The starter gets power directly from battery. The starter gets power directly from the battery, but the Solenoid doesn't.
The starter has a trigger but in your case the trigger is not really the problem since the plunger is stuck/welded and completing the circuit.
I would also change the relay AFTER repair kit is installed.
There is the possibility that someone changed handlebars, grips or hand controls and damaged the starter switch or wires to starter switch.
That starter switch damage caused then initiated the damage to plunger but either way the starter plunger requires review.
Thanks for all the info, but it started to start once I turned the key, I would agree with you, but it turns over when the key is off. and I opened the solenoid and it's fine.

Quick Reply: Bike wants to start when the bike is off.