2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Throttle issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 08:34 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Throttle issues...

I encountered a strange behavior of the throttle control, traveling down a downhill pass, the road being particularly crowded I often held first gear and in the hairpin bends, modulating the clutch, I noticed several times that the control unit was giving gas strokes... 2 or 3 each time... now the bizarre thing is that by modulating the clutch, if the gas stroke given in atunomy by the bike occurs while I am releasing the clutch, the bike obviously jumps forward... this thing of the gas strokes I had already noticed in downshifting, especially 3rd/2nd by releasing the clutch at the correct times, that is, immediately after engaging the gear, the bike would jump forward. .. I had convinced myself that I was touching the throttle control, which, being very sensitive, sensed an opening... instead it didn't... I will have to report this because in some cases (downshifting / clutch pulled downhill) the bike accelerates by itself...

to understand, it's like when you hold the bike in neutral on the stand and you feel those rpm changes, due to the warm-up phase... but here we are talking about the bike in motion and after hours of riding, so largely in temperature... very strange, it's the first time it happens to me.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:29 AM
MarkSG
Cruiser
Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

Thinking out loud here.
These things have adjustable engine braking.
I have not played with it much yet but in Custom mode the engine braking level can be set.
I would figure the only way to change the level is with adding or removing throttle.
Seems odd that it would be enough or abrupt enough for your issue but maybe.

Maybe if you build a Custom Mode equal to the one you always use but change the engine braking to see if that changes your issue.

The following users liked this post:
Hedonism (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 01:36 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser

this has sense!

will try

Old 07-02-2024, 09:19 AM
jwt873
Road Warrior
Received 4,571 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Have you tried rain mode? This mode 'softens' the throttle response and engine braking parameters making things less twitchy. If your problem remains you might need to drop by your dealership.

Old 07-02-2024, 08:06 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 478 Posts

Just curious, what is a "gas stroke"?

The following users liked this post:
Ducman82 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:25 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,113 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Kind of like a quiff, but not as funny

Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser

Originally Posted by btsom
throttle openings

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
tomato
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hedonism
I encountered a strange behavior of the throttle control, traveling down a downhill pass, the road being particularly crowded I often held first gear and in the hairpin bends, modulating the clutch, I noticed several times that the control unit was giving gas strokes... 2 or 3 each time... now the bizarre thing is that by modulating the clutch, if the gas stroke given in atunomy by the bike occurs while I am releasing the clutch, the bike obviously jumps forward... this thing of the gas strokes I had already noticed in downshifting, especially 3rd/2nd by releasing the clutch at the correct times, that is, immediately after engaging the gear, the bike would jump forward. .. I had convinced myself that I was touching the throttle control, which, being very sensitive, sensed an opening... instead it didn't... I will have to report this because in some cases (downshifting / clutch pulled downhill) the bike accelerates by itself...

to understand, it's like when you hold the bike in neutral on the stand and you feel those rpm changes, due to the warm-up phase... but here we are talking about the bike in motion and after hours of riding, so largely in temperature... very strange, it's the first time it happens to me.
I have definitely noticed the same thing, especially in sport and my custom mode. As someone noted, I think it is the engine braking trying to match revs on the downshift. It does not do it when I blip the throttle and match revs on my own, but it definitely does on slow speed downshifts when you least expect or want it to...

The other annoying as Hell thing my bike does is with the brake proportioning. When it initially kicks in, it is abrupt and grabs too hard in the front, then it eases off.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Hedonism
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tomato
I have definitely noticed the same thing, especially in sport and my custom mode.
ops... which value of Engine breaking you have on Custom mode?

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hedonism
ops... which value of Engine breaking you have on Custom mode?
I had moved it down to “base,” but I just changed it to -1. I’ll see if it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Throttle issues...