Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Rear Brake Pad Pin Bolt Stuck on Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 08:58 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Stripped Rear Brake Pad Pin Bolt Stuck on Caliper

Wow - was removing the rear pad pin bolts on my 2003 FLSTC and one stripped on the way out - my guess is that this beauty was headed that way before I JUST BOUGHT it - anyway - I fully comprehend how these pins work - this pin seems to be caught in the inside caliper half - I can feel it wiggling in and out but I cant get enough leverage to pull the stripped pin out - when I pull this caliper off I am also concerned about splitting the caliper and finding a way to get that pin out without damaging the mating surfaces on the caliper - not sure I like this design as this scenario does not seem to have a clear fix that does not involve a big hammer at some point in time - does anyone know of any tricks to get the pin out of that blind hole without really having to wack it? I have a big shop that is setup for engine building so I have the equipment but this little pin has me baffled - I could try welding on a rod to get some leverage but the pin is not well exposed and I'm going to really generate some heat....just cant get leverage with vice grips or other tools. I have an older caliper setup as shown below - would that bolt up to my 2003? Here you can see the pin bolt and the head is marred due to me trying to grip it and pull it with a slide hammer.

Here is the older caliper I have - I think it is for a softail - it was left in my shop years ago -

Old 07-01-2024, 02:16 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

Have you checked to see if there is a retaining ring on the inside?

The following users liked this post:
Hawg Runner (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 02:39 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,300 Likes on 1,851 Posts

If you can't pull it out, just try to split the caliper. Shouldn't be a big deal. It uses o-rings to seal the Two Halves crossover passages.

As far as the other caliper/bracket, it's Newer and it's from a Dyna ... Softail version uses a Different bracket.

EDIT: I guess I should have said that I would like to get it off and on to a bench first ... If I had given up on removing pins with caliper in place.

Last edited by multihdrdr; 07-01-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:14 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 619 Posts

Consider removal of rear wheel.
Compress pads into caliper. Remember to open cap on master cylinder.
Then see of you can remove pads.
From a distance it looks like pin might be stuck on a pad?

Old 07-01-2024, 03:53 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

Pads are out - the problem is that the threads are stripped and the head of the pin is locked in what I assume is some sort of internal clip-ring in the blind hole. The design relies on the force of unscrewing the pin to pull the head out of the locking clip in the blind hole - NOT A FAN OF THIS SAFETY MECHANISM - I can hear the head clicking out of the blind hole when I unscrew the other pin - I can tell you that I was able to grab that nub pretty good with a vice grip and I could not get it out of the blind locking O-ring in there - I will split the caliper but my 40 years of machining makes me believe that getting it to separate without damaging the machined surfaces of the caliper halfs will be a challenge. You can see the groove in the pin in the photo that the internal ring must grab......I guess I could always throw the caliper on my overhead mill and and back bore the inner half so I can wack the pin out from the back

Old 07-01-2024, 04:58 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 348 Likes on 260 Posts

I'm sure you have tried, but could the shoulder of the pin be getting stuck in the hole in the brake pad? Wiggle the pad and see if it frees the pin?

Had this happen on another brand bike with a different pin and anti rattle plate style. The shoulder of the pin was getting hung up in the hole for the anti rattle plate. Pushed the plate a bit, pin slid right out.

Just a thought, best of luck!
Tom

Old 07-01-2024, 05:02 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 619 Posts

What happens if you screw pin the other direction...IN-Right tight ?
The picture makes pin look angled..as if is out of its bore but edge is stuck someplace else

Last edited by im; 07-01-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:15 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 557 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by fergerburger
Pads are out - the problem is that the threads are stripped and the head of the pin is locked in what I assume is some sort of internal clip-ring in the blind hole.
Wait what?
If you've removed the pads, how could the pin still be in the blind hole?

And again, as far as the machine surfaces go, there's only a small critical area that the 2 O-rings do the sealing as multihdrdr mentioned above

Last edited by Harley_ish; 07-01-2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:20 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

brake pads are out - I've wiggled - I can pull it straight out and in about 1/8" so I know it is catching on a lock ring in the blind hole - there is some sort of lock ring in that blind hole - it just takes force to get it out - only option is to pull the caliper and take it down to the parts - like all modern things - gotta remove exhaust, belt guards, etc etc - wheel - bike will be down for a while as well since I know I'll need seals and parts - and I will need to helicoil that caliper screw hole for the pin - it is stripped - it should take the helicoil okay but ya never know - may need a new caliper assembly as well. These days - **** is made to be replaced - not remanufactured - I cant count the number of shovelheads I've built from buckets of busted parts - just aint gonna happen with these newer bikes - probably should stick with my shovels and pans

Old 07-01-2024, 10:08 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
Wait what?
If you've removed the pads, how could the pin still be in the blind hole?

And again, as far as the machine surfaces go, there's only a small critical area that the 2 O-rings do the sealing as multihdrdr mentioned above
I agree, how did you get the pads out with pin still in? Can you go with a long skinny punch from back side and hammer it out?

Quick Reply: Stripped Rear Brake Pad Pin Bolt Stuck on Caliper