Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running the HPI Shorty Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 04:18 PM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Is anyone running the HPI Shorty Exhaust?

Just wondering if they're too loud. Also wondering if anyone else has heard they were going to make a shorter version of the "Full Length."

Thanks for any input, like I said, just wondering since they are on back order.

Old 06-30-2024, 08:38 AM
FXLRyan
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Hpi shorty is definitely loud. I personally love the sound but if you want something quieter you might not like it

I have to wear ear plugs on longer rides or I will hear the exhaust until I wake up the next morning lol , that is with a cam upgrade though

The following users liked this post:
Beartooth Rider (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:59 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts

Why you going with a shorty? Better performance from the full length. Sounds great too. Quality wise, you know the deal. They’re artwork. I love mine.

Beartooth Rider (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jlb2782
Why you going with a shorty? Better performance from the full length. Sounds great too. Quality wise, you know the deal. They’re artwork. I love mine.
I haven't decided yet! I am still keeping an open mind, that's why I am soliciting the forum and I really appreciate your input!

I am aware with the performance advantages of the full length over the shorty (about 5 ft lbs.), and that is part of what I am struggling with. I don't see any performance advantage of the shorty over full length, not even in peak horsepower at higher RPM.

That's surprising me because I'm one of those guys that thinks choosing a cam for the "Lope at Idle" is kind of vane, but I get it and here I am choosing a pipe based on sound and looks. Go figure!

I totally understand that torque equals acceleration, and I do like the way torque curve comes in early and carries out flat across to higher RPM with both the shorty and the full length. That may have more to do with the cam choice on the dyno charts I looked at.

I might be leaning toward the shorty because I'll be installing it on a CVO Road Glide ST and in my opinion, the shorty looks a little sportier and I already have a good ride for two-up touring on longer distances.

I always wear molded ear plugs for hearing protection, so unless the shorty is just ridiculously loud, I may go with them.

Either way, I agree the HPI quality is artwork and thank you again for your response.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 565 Posts

Numbers, that term is so overplayed! I don't give two ***** what the net numbers are, tell me what it makes at 2500-3000-3500. 90% of the guys ride in that range.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,496 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Beartooth Rider
I haven't decided yet! I am still keeping an open mind, that's why I am soliciting the forum and I really appreciate your input!

I am aware with the performance advantages of the full length over the shorty (about 5 ft lbs.), and that is part of what I am struggling with. I don't see any performance advantage of the shorty over full length, not even in peak horsepower at higher RPM.

That's surprising me because I'm one of those guys that thinks choosing a cam for the "Lope at Idle" is kind of vane, but I get it and here I am choosing a pipe based on sound and looks. Go figure!

I totally understand that torque equals acceleration, and I do like the way torque curve comes in early and carries out flat across to higher RPM with both the shorty and the full length. That may have more to do with the cam choice on the dyno charts I looked at.

I might be leaning toward the shorty because I'll be installing it on a CVO Road Glide ST and in my opinion, the shorty looks a little sportier and I already have a good ride for two-up touring on longer distances.

I always wear molded ear plugs for hearing protection, so unless the shorty is just ridiculously loud, I may go with them.

Either way, I agree the HPI quality is artwork and thank you again for your response.
I mean, the same could be said of ANY non stock part we put on our bikes. People customize their bikes according to their own tastes, whether it's exhaust, cams, or trinkets and do dads. Buy what you like and enjoy it without concern of performance gains or aesthetics.

Beartooth Rider (Yesterday)
Old Today, 03:50 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,918 Likes on 756 Posts

Regarding short pipe vs full length as it pertains to numbers/torque dip, I can say this..

My dyno graph on my stage 2 Low Rider S had a massive torque dip due to my short exhaust. It was kind of disappointing to look at, but I can say that after 5k miles of riding it, I NEVER, not a single time, could feel any sort of dip or loss of power.

I think people spend way too much time focusing on the numbers (because it's fun to share, brag, chat about such things), but if we're honest with ourselves, none of us are MotoGP riders and I bet 99% of us couldn't tell the difference between 120hp/120tq and 125hp/125tq if we rode them back to back. And certainly not on an 800lb+ machine like most of are riding.

If you like how the shorty pipe looks, get it.

The following 2 users liked this post by RGS88:
Beartooth Rider (Today), NZLowrider (Today)
Old Today, 07:06 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
If you like how the shorty pipe looks, get it.
Exactly what I did - I got it.

When you get older you just want what you want and at least for me, I'm not worried about being fast or the fastest anymore. 1st bike I've had a shorty pipe on it and I like the way it looks. I'm also diggin' the clean rear look with no pipe sticking out.

I remember when the pipe was delivered, went to pick up the box thinking it was going to take some strength (I mean it is exhaust) and couldn't believe how light is was.

Had a turbo'ed liter bike before...those days are over for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Msquad:
Beartooth Rider (Today), RGS88 (Today)
Old Today, 05:34 PM
Beartooth Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Msquad
Exactly what I did - I got it.

When you get older you just want what you want and at least for me, I'm not worried about being fast or the fastest anymore. 1st bike I've had a shorty pipe on it and I like the way it looks. I'm also diggin' the clean rear look with no pipe sticking out.

I remember when the pipe was delivered, went to pick up the box thinking it was going to take some strength (I mean it is exhaust) and couldn't believe how light is was.

Had a turbo'ed liter bike before...those days are over for me.
Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm still regretting not putting Fox Air Shox on my 1978 Honda Elsinore CR250R back in my MX racing days, that should give you an idea of how old I am.

I think I will go with the shorty; my parts guy says they are back ordered until September anyway.