2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 06:52 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 651 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?

So after a couple years of the Low Rider ST being out and many now owning it for some time is the new wearing off? Is the hype dying down and being overshadowed by living with the bike everyday and realizing that it's not totally what you thought it would be and are left wanting more?

If so are any of you thinking about making the switch to the new 2024+ Road Glide? More balanced, lighter, liquid cooled, more tech then the out going 23 RG and older model and better for traveling then the ST?

Or is your ST exactly what you've always wanted still and fits the bill for local riding and long distance?

I'm asking because I'm still looking to get a bike with bags and a fairing and was set on the FXLRST to be in my future next to my Crossbones. But then the new 2024 Road Glide came out. I fell like for the money compared to the $24k Lowrider it may be the better option for what you get. $24K seems steep for a Softail. Or is the ST that dam awesome its worth it?

I do still like the idea of the ST being middle weight and good at many things type of bike. Performance, local riding, touring, slow maneuvering ease. But at the same time I would still have to dump even more money into it for comfort. Forward controls ,foot boards, better seat, pasenger pegs, and handle bars. And exhaust. Buy the time I'm done it's probably the same price as the dam new Road Glide.

The Road Glide is already set up perfectly for my comfort even the frigging stock handle bars feel perfect. Only thing I would need is exhaust. But then again it's heavier. It is more balanced then the previous year RG. It's noticeable right off the kickstand.

Are any of you current ST owners thinking of making the switch to the new RG?

Old 06-28-2024, 08:03 PM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 662 Likes on 301 Posts

I traded my bagger for the Low Rider ST because I wasn't doing the long trips I had envisioned. I grabbed the ST and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. The ST is lighter, faster, quicker, more nimble and just more fun than my bagger was. I'm doing a 4 day ride next month that will determine if I do any more long trips on it but for the majority of my riding the ST can't be beat.

The following 2 users liked this post by luckiestiff:
natural gasser (06-29-2024), Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 09:19 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
I traded my bagger for the Low Rider ST because I wasn't doing the long trips I had envisioned. I grabbed the ST and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. The ST is lighter, faster, quicker, more nimble and just more fun than my bagger was. I'm doing a 4 day ride next month that will determine if I do any more long trips on it but for the majority of my riding the ST can't be beat.
Nice. Yeah that's the tempting part of the ST for me. In theory it sounds like the perfect bike. Ive always been a fan of the Softail models. They're not small but they're not massive either. And they've always had a low center of gravity in the weight department. Like my Crossbones for example. It's 737 lbs but it's super well balanced with a low center of gravity which makes it feel like a much lighter motorcycle. My 2018 RK was a little bit heavier at 810lbs but felt extremely top heavy to the point that I sold it. The new RG felt better balanced coming off the stand and sitting on it

I'm just worried since I already have a Softail that getting another would be pointless. I guess technically I can get bags and a big ole windshield for my Crossbones. And it already has the comfortable forward footboards and perfect handlebars. So would the ST be light years better with its fairing and bags and newer suspension for medium touring to the point of wanting to spend $25k+?

That's where the new 24 RG comes in for me since I already have a Softail. There will be no question it would be a comfortable longer ride mileage eating machine and with a lot more tech for the money. Just not sure if it's exactly as well balanced as I think it is. I don't want a bike that's not fun. I always hear the ST is more fun from guys coming off touring bikes. Even though the bagger was more comfortable on longer rides they weren't as fun when they road locally. I dont know if the new 24 RG will be better.

Good luck on your 4 day trip. Let me know how it goes with your ST. I'll be interested so hear if it was comfortable and aslo stable on the highway that distance. And how good the wind protection was.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:03 PM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Sold my Street Glide and have zero regrets. The ST is my first new bike purchase, always bought used to save a buck. As stated, the “ST is lighter, faster, quicker, more nimble and just more fun than my bagger was”. The ST or S fits my riding style as a weekend warrior zipping around. Road Glide for long trips will beat the ST so YOU need to consider how you will use it.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 687 Likes on 379 Posts

Nope. Don’t want all that extra weight. My FXLRST is working fine for me. Light, nimble, and very powerful.

The following 2 users liked this post by Redlegvzv:
luckiestiff (06-29-2024), Zakk13 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 01:38 AM
Powermankw
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

If you want a tourer, get a tourer. If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser. I dint want a bagger. The ST is a sport tourer softail. Ex CVO 117, proper inverted forks, mid controls as any sporty bike should have... And no tech is a pro, not a con. Better steering angle, lighter, nimble.

I did 1500 miles in a weekend trip. The wind protection was all I needed. I would have easily strapped a bag on, but didn't need to cause I had a mule. I bought it in October and already have 6500 miles on it. The bags are all I need for commuting and running errands. Pack all I need for rides. It's the perfect bike for me. Zero regrets.

Look, all the money you talk about having to spend is to turn a Lowrider into a road glide. You can do that if you want, but you will never turn a RG into a softail. And I really do love the looks of the RG... And I strongly considered. The RG ST... Cause I don't need a tourer. But I wanted a softail. The baddest softail they make. Zero regrets.

The following 2 users liked this post by Powermankw:
Redlegvzv (06-29-2024), Zakk13 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 05:25 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Powermankw
If you want a tourer, get a tourer. If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser. I dint want a bagger. The ST is a sport tourer softail. Ex CVO 117, proper inverted forks, mid controls as any sporty bike should have... And no tech is a pro, not a con. Better steering angle, lighter, nimble.

I did 1500 miles in a weekend trip. The wind protection was all I needed. I would have easily strapped a bag on, but didn't need to cause I had a mule. I bought it in October and already have 6500 miles on it. The bags are all I need for commuting and running errands. Pack all I need for rides. It's the perfect bike for me. Zero regrets.

Look, all the money you talk about having to spend is to turn a Lowrider into a road glide. You can do that if you want, but you will never turn a RG into a softail. And I really do love the looks of the RG... And I strongly considered. The RG ST... Cause I don't need a tourer. But I wanted a softail. The baddest softail they make. Zero regrets.
It's tough because I already have a cruiser the Crossbones which in my opinion is the coolest Harley ever made. And its super comfortable with its big half-moon foot boards, mini ape handle bars and wide tractor seat and super fun to ride. And they do make a windshield and bags for the Crossbones. With that said I don't want to jack up the look. Might just get one of those left side bags. My issue with the Crossbones is anything above 65 doesn't feel confidence inspiring. No Softail ever did to me. Can they got much faster of course. But they don't feel as stable doing it. I guarantee the new 24 RG would do 70+ and you wouldn't even tell you're going that fast. Don't know about the Low Rider ST. Maybe the fairing makes a difference? I heard from others it has vibration and because it's lighter not as stable as a touring model at fast highway speeds. And when I hear that I think yep sounds like a typical Softail. So I don't know.

If I did go FXLRST I wouldn't be trying to turn it into a RG. It would more just trying to make it comfortable. Would definitely need new bars and that isn't cheap. As far as the foot controls I dont know if I would absolutely need to go with forwards or would just getting sone type of foot boards for the mids be good? That would be something id have to figure out. The RG is just already done in those departments.

Aslo a side note. I freaking hate the wrinkle black all over the Lowrider ST. Thats one thing that kills it for me. I wish they would do one in chrome with cool paint and the other with gloss black accents. Not wrinkle black aka rhino lining truck bed. I think a FXLRST with Chrome trim and red big flake paint would look killer. And then a gloss black blacked out version with dark blue paint. Sick.

Last edited by Zakk13; 06-29-2024 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:52 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 161 Posts

I want a motorcycle with gauges, not a screen shot. Why I'm keeping my 2020 Lowrider S, that has a fairing, lowers, and bags. Excellent sport/tourer IMO.

The following 3 users liked this post by natural gasser:
heavymetalthunder (06-29-2024), luckiestiff (06-29-2024), snake_eyes (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 09:31 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by natural gasser
I want a motorcycle with gauges, not a screen shot. Why I'm keeping my 2020 Lowrider S, that has a fairing, lowers, and bags. Excellent sport/tourer IMO.
How's that S&S pipe sound on the M8? Looks good. 👍

Old 06-29-2024, 12:00 PM
Powermankw
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
It's tough because I already have a cruiser the Crossbones which in my opinion is the coolest Harley ever made. And its super comfortable with its big half-moon foot boards, mini ape handle bars and wide tractor seat and super fun to ride. And they do make a windshield and bags for the Crossbones. With that said I don't want to jack up the look. Might just get one of those left side bags. My issue with the Crossbones is anything above 65 doesn't feel confidence inspiring. No Softail ever did to me. Can they got much faster of course. But they don't feel as stable doing it. I guarantee the new 24 RG would do 70+ and you wouldn't even tell you're going that fast. Don't know about the Low Rider ST. Maybe the fairing makes a difference? I heard from others it has vibration and because it's lighter not as stable as a touring model at fast highway speeds. And when I hear that I think yep sounds like a typical Softail. So I don't know.

If I did go FXLRST I wouldn't be trying to turn it into a RG. It would more just trying to make it comfortable. Would definitely need new bars and that isn't cheap. As far as the foot controls I dont know if I would absolutely need to go with forwards or would just getting sone type of foot boards for the mids be good? That would be something id have to figure out. The RG is just already done in those departments.

Aslo a side note. I freaking hate the wrinkle black all over the Lowrider ST. Thats one thing that kills it for me. I wish they would do one in chrome with cool paint and the other with gloss black accents. Not wrinkle black aka rhino lining truck bed. I think a FXLRST with Chrome trim and red big flake paint would look killer. And then a gloss black blacked out version with dark blue paint. Sick.
So first, the Crossbones is what it is, which is not a new Lowrider. So you can cruise around, but...

The fairing on the ST gets raves. I need a fairing... Nerve damage, long story, who cares... But the fairing is very very good. I have no problem thinking the RG is even better, but the ST is all I need. I don't get pushed around by trucks at all.

I have no idea what vibrations it has... Other than being a Harley. Meaning it's not a BMW or Gold wing. It's the same drive train as the RG so that is no different. I'm regularly at 70-90. I hit a 100, but admit I don't much care for more on a bike not like a car. And I'm a new rider, older, not young and crazy anymore... But the ST is a confident ride. It's still a heavy cruiser... Not a sport bike, not a big bagger.

As far as comfort... I'm 5'10... A 6.5 riser was all I needed. I could go taller, but didn't want to extend stuff. Much better, all I need. If I went taller, I don't care for the looks of tall risers even if that's a fad now... But risers are way easier than bars. I don't care for apes. I don't know how tall you want, but I wouldn't need much taller if I had my way. I did put mini floorboards on which made a big difference. I know I can put heritage forward boards on... I haven't made that decision yet. I like the mids, but they are too high... That is real and a problem. Or seat is too low. I wanted more time. The mid/minis are good, I can go taller or forward/backward with a seat. That will change where I'm at with bars... But right now I don't have a strong opinion where to go and I have gotten used to what I have. So I'm not sure if I will make another move, or get heritage boards. I have crash bars and on my long trip can stretch my legs like highway pags and even hanging my feet on rear bars was really comfortable and straightened my hips. So plenty of positions to move around.

Sounds like you really need to get out on a couple of test drives.

Quick Reply: Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?