Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Performance Fork Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 11:00 AM
bassolotto
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Performance Fork Oil

Hey All

I am on a '23 RGST. I am considering changing the stock fork oil for a heavy/performance fork oil. I understand the denser viscosity slows the rebound of the fork. This decrease in "sag" translates to better responsiveness and an increase in "effective torque". I also understand that the front end is not as soft and perhaps not as comfortable.

My question for the forum here is if there are other considerations I am not aware of? How does the heavy fork oil affect the slow speed dynamics of the bike? Or, perhaps the performance of the bike under heavy load while touring with luggage or a passenger?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2024, 12:46 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master
Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Sag and rebound are not the same thing.

Old 06-28-2024, 02:01 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,769 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A change in ride height, which is affected by your change in sag, will affect the rake angle. This will affect how your bike reacts to swerving and weaving. If your front end is taller than stock, the front end will feel light, and the bike will be more prone to wobble at higher speeds.

If your luggage is located at or behind the rear axle, you'll continue to increase the height of the front end, effectively lightening it more.

Sag/ride height can be adjusted with the amount of fork oil, but your rebound and compression will change as well.

P.S. I thought there was some fancy forks on the RGST?

Old 06-28-2024, 05:35 PM
Dseago1969
Road Master
Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

@Brandon Smith most of what you said I believe to be true. I don’t think sag is changed by fork oil, viscocity or level. Those would change dampening and rebound. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Mechanics control sag measured with weight on the bike. Oil controls rebound and dampening based on viscocity and flowing through ports/valves.

Old 06-28-2024, 08:56 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 166 Posts

I always change my fork oil to SE Performance Oil. It has worked great on multiple Dynas and Touring bikes. I think it improves handling and brake dive with very little fuss.

The following 2 users liked this post by Two Lane Tramp:
Dseago1969 (06-28-2024), harpwrench (Yesterday)
Old 06-28-2024, 11:24 PM
Dano523
HDF Community Team
Received 480 Likes on 331 Posts

Rebound and dampening speeds are manly dusted by fork oil weight if not adjusters.

Ride height sag is adjusted by spring tension or spacers, or in the case of air shocks, air pressure.

So yes, thicker fork oil in the front forks will make them stiffer, and if you need to reduce the amount of rider height sage in the front forks, then can double or tripple up on the washer 2, or just change out front fork springs to something stiffer.

As for rear shock, yes, could pull them apart to rebuild them with thicker fluid, and nitro recharge using Racetech spnV0512 add on charging ports, but just better off going with shock that are adjustable the same both sides. Hence with only one side begin adjustable, least just say not the best way to begin with.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,795 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Abitheavier oil will change, well just fresh fluids will make a difference but increased viscosity will change the nose dive. On my 07 I experimented with different weights until I put progressive cartridges. On my 14 tri glide I went with heavier fluids and it helped, on my current 21 tri glide I went with Ricor Intiminators and 10wt fluid. I like it a lot. The feel is different but compliant and smoother

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 300 Posts

FWIW.
Suspension set up has "personal" desires/ rider feeling.
It may take multiple attempts / disassembly to get it right.

Best advice I can give: start with start and set your sag.
(Oil weight will make no difference to sag "tuning"/ set up.)
Typically one can make different length PCV pipe spaces (low cost) to attain a proper sag.

Heavier fork oil indeed slows rebound and compression.
Not so sure about how to answer the passenger or luggage question.
I guess I would say that front suspension feel and setup choice could have a major difference when traveling solo or 2-up, so one single set up may not fit all riding desires.

Therefore:
Once sag is set, knowing that fork oils are sold in weights at 2.5 weight intervals, you could start experimenting with weights (but stay with the same brand so weights are stable).
Without research, I believe the stock HD oil is 10 weight and Screaming Eagle is 20 weight.
Oil level (air gap) can also "stiffen" a fork, but do raise the oil more than a 1/4 inch.
There is no harm with your original plan to just change to the heavier weight oil.
PS I also find a fork oil level measurement tool (@$30.) is well worth the cost to purchase.

Fork springs are a good step also, especially if you are telling us the forks feel too soft.

With all that said, have fun.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,005 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Here is a report on how front suspension works, and a comparison of different options.

Front Suspension Report #1

Front Suspension Report #2.(info on sag, damping, fork oils & more)

For most, the Intiminators give the best quality ride for the $$$ spent.

July 4th Patriotic Biker Bundle - Get Yours HERE

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com