Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning Questions for 2006 CVO Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 01:59 PM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tuning Questions for 2006 CVO Fat Boy

This is a new to me bike. Just looking at it, the only aftermarket part is a Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 exhaust. It is fuel injected, but there are no O2 sensors on the pipes. I have read that they didn't have those until 07. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it does have compression releases but they are not automatic. It has decel popping that I would like to reduce or get rid of. Is there a tuner that I can get for that or will I have to get it dynoed? I don't want to have to cut holes in the pipes and weld bungs to it. If I have to get it dynoed, will I have to buy a tuner in addition? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2024, 03:23 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 759 Likes on 593 Posts

you have options.
you an buy a tuning product, the only 2 to consider are the PowerVision and the TTS Mastertune units.
once you have one of these you can go to your local reputable dyno tuning shop and have it tuned.
or
you can go to your local reputable tuning shop and see if you can get a tune liense with their sho powervision and then get it tuned. you will have a license that allows tuning in the future should you need it.
depending on the shop, they will get the exhaust sample either by sniffer tubes up the exhaust, or with the more current Stealth extraction ssystem/herco block assembly.
a small hole is drilled in your pipe( with the heatshields removed of course) and a rivnut installed. this allows the wideband sensor access to the exhaust sample, after tuning, these holes are filled with a small plug bolt then the heat shield re-installed and you'd never know it was there!!
becuase the bike has manual compression releases installed i would bet there is some motor work done to the bike. Find a reputable tuning shop and take it in and have a conversation. if you're not happy with the first shop or you dont get a good vibe, keep oooking till you do!
m

Old 06-26-2024, 04:41 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 282 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857
This is a new to me bike. Just looking at it, the only aftermarket part is a Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 exhaust. It is fuel injected, but there are no O2 sensors on the pipes. I have read that they didn't have those until 07. I don't know if it makes any difference, but it does have compression releases but they are not automatic. It has decel popping that I would like to reduce or get rid of. Is there a tuner that I can get for that or will I have to get it dynoed? I don't want to have to cut holes in the pipes and weld bungs to it. If I have to get it dynoed, will I have to buy a tuner in addition? Thanks.

I would question why a “stock” engine has compression releases added. May very well be modified to some extent. Your tuner will have a good guess as to what has been done to it.

Old 06-26-2024, 05:02 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Tuning

Originally Posted by tpb857
If fuel injected ...it should have some kind of tuner on it already ..!! PV, PC-V ,PC ..etc ...if it has the older PC or PC-V ...easy to download a new map and try it ...then ez to make any changes alos !!!
Take the seat off and .....look !!!

Last edited by springers4ever; 06-26-2024 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:51 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Thanks for the responses. I don't know anything about the bike's history and there is no way that I can find out. I don't know of any good tuners around me. I'll look into that. What I was able to find out was that there were two years for these bikes, 05 and 06. People tuned them with a power commander. For the 05s, it went under the seat. No room on the 06s because the larger rear wheel took up the empty space. On those, they put it under the mud flap. I don't know what that is, but I'm assuming somewhere under the rear fender. I don't see anything there. There is no tuner under the seat and what I think is the diagnostic port has nothing plugged into it. I have attached a photo.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:34 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 282 Likes on 200 Posts

Definitely no Power Commander as that is the factory harness plugged into the ECM.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:53 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Time to hook it up to an H-D Digital Tech, Mastertune TTS, Dynojet PV, or Techno Research Centurion vehicle interface, and see what map is in the ECM. That should give a clue as to what tuner/tune was done when the mods were accomplished. No way to contact the previous owner and inquire as to mods/info?

Old 06-27-2024, 10:48 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

I talked to Fuel Moto about buy a simple tuner that does not autotune (no O2 sensors). The only problem is that I don't know what engine is in the bike and they would be guessing in sending me the right map. I'm saying this because the bike has manual compression releases. I'm thinking that someone jumped the bike up a bit, but I don't know. I'm going to check for intake and exhaust leaks first and see if that helps the popping.

Old 06-27-2024, 01:16 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 759 Likes on 593 Posts

there was a reason that i gave you such a detailed reply, once.
it could have been tuned with the old SE Race Tuner, maybe not, but most people back in those days didn't alter any of the info so plugging it into a scan tool may or may not tell you anything.
Again, pick one TTS Master Tune or Powervision, then take it to the dyno shop and tune it.
you're gonna get a lot of other talk, but in the end this is what you're gonna need to do......
if you want to get real crazy, pull the cams out so you can see what you have so that you IVO and IVC stuff can be intergrated into your tune,,,,,,
m

The following users liked this post:
Lonewolf176 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:43 PM
tpb857
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marcodarq
there was a reason that i gave you such a detailed reply, once.
it could have been tuned with the old SE Race Tuner, maybe not, but most people back in those days didn't alter any of the info so plugging it into a scan tool may or may not tell you anything.
Again, pick one TTS Master Tune or Powervision, then take it to the dyno shop and tune it.
you're gonna get a lot of other talk, but in the end this is what you're gonna need to do......
if you want to get real crazy, pull the cams out so you can see what you have so that you IVO and IVC stuff can be intergrated into your tune,,,,,,
m
I appreciate your help. There is a place in Uniontown, PA, about 1 3/4 hours from me. I explained the whole situation to him. He was very knowledgeable. He can tune the bike and I won't have to get a tuner. I will have to get a license for whatever he uses. Thanks again for your help, and that goes for the rest of you as well.

Quick Reply: Tuning Questions for 2006 CVO Fat Boy