2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 06:57 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 654 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

I'm curious to hear others opinions on the new 2024 Road Glide and if the moco made enough changes for the better that the Low Rider ST doesn't need to be the only option for some? Does it now fit the bill for those looking for bike with a fairing and bags but less cumbersome?

The 2023 and older Road Glides felt top heavy and cumbersome even just sitting on them and the inner face of the fairing seemed like it was far out front and awkward. The new 2024 Road Glide seems just from sitting on it a lot more balanced and the weight is a lower center of gravity. The inner fairing also is much nicer and is closer to the rider. Almost old street glide like in a sense. And I see they upgraded the suspension big time. Which generally makes a huge difference as well.

For those that have ridden the new 2024+ Road Glide(I haven't had the chance yet) do you feel that it is a much more balanced and easier to handle at slow speeds then the previous touring models? And is it noticeable enough that the Lowrider ST no longer needs to be an option for those looking for a lighter easier to handle and nimble tourer?

I feel like the Lowrider ST is pretty expensive for what you don't get at $23,339 to start compared to the new Road Glide. Although both are over priced IMO. But that's a different topic. The new Road Glide at least has RDRS and a while bunch more tech, a bigger fairing, stereo system, hill stop assist, more comfort for longer distance and 2 up, full led lighting, big touch screen display, bigger bags. ect ect....

I've always been a Softail fan especially the pre 2018 Softails because of how low center of gravity they are and easy to ride. I would love that in a touring package with a fairing and bags. Until now the Lowrider ST was the answer. And maybe it still is?? Might be deciding between the two in the future. Obviously test riding the 2 back to back will be the ultimate deciding factor when I'm eventually ready to pull the trigger.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:02 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 126 Posts

I went from a 2012 Road Glide special to a 2024 Road Glide and the difference is huge. The bike is much more nimble and lighter feeling. Not as heavy feeling as the previous bike.
I can’t speak for the ST, I haven’t ridden one but I’m very impressed by the new RG/SG changes.

My advice unless you want a deep hole in your pocket is to stay off of a new Road Glide. I took a ride just to satisfy a pleasingly persistent sales guy and within two miles was ready to buy one. It was that impressive to me.

The following 3 users liked this post by bill from tn:
bigal51 (06-27-2024), Magneto Man (06-23-2024), Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:11 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by bill from tn
I went from a 2012 Road Glide special to a 2024 Road Glide and the difference is huge. The bike is much more nimble and lighter feeling. Not as heavy feeling as the previous bike.
I can’t speak for the ST, I haven’t ridden one but I’m very impressed by the new RG/SG changes.

My advice unless you want a deep hole in your pocket is to stay off of a new Road Glide. I took a ride just to satisfy a pleasingly persistent sales guy and within two miles was ready to buy one. It was that impressive to me.
I don't doubt what your saying at all. I noticed the difference just sitting on one. Im afraid that if I actually take one for a ride and the slow maneuvering handling is light years better then even my 2018 Road King was with no fairing ill be sucked into buying one. And I already have a deep hole in my pocket due to life circumstances.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:15 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Coming off a 19 RGU, the 24 is much more nimble. The wife gets on the back a lot easier as well.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:25 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,957 Likes on 4,620 Posts

coming off a 2020 RGS going with with 24 RG it feels better in many ways, specifically rear shocks, engine power and handlebars..was a definite worthwhile upgrade for me ..and while it is also 16 pounds lighter, nobody would ever use the word 'nimble' when describing these 800 + lb motorcycles, albeit for their weight they handle pretty well overall .. where it shines is touring open highways, as its primarily designed and intended to be used for

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bigal51 (06-27-2024), smitty901 (06-27-2024), Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:40 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
coming off a 2020 RGS going with with 24 RG it feels better in many ways, specifically rear shocks, engine power and handlebars..was a definite worthwhile upgrade for me ..and while it is also 16 pounds lighter, nobody would ever use the word 'nimble' when describing these 800 + lb motorcycles, albeit for their weight they handle pretty well overall .. where it shines is touring open highways, as its primarily designed and intended to be used for
Yes but it depends on where the moco put the 800lbs of weight. In the past the touring bikes were top heavy. If they redesign and most of the weight is lower in the bike it makes a big difference in the slow maneuvering. I sat on an Indian Challenger which is 855 lbs and it felt light as hell compared to the 2023 and older Road Glides and well balanced. The new 2024 RG is similar feeling.

My Harley Softail Crossbones is not technically light at 737lbs but the way the previous Softail frame and bike was designed all the weight is down low which makes the bike feel way lighter and extremely easy to handle at slow speed.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,957 Likes on 4,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Yes but it depends on where the moco put the 800lbs of weight. In the past the touring bikes were top heavy. If they redesign and most of the weight is lower in the bike it makes a big difference in the slow maneuvering. I sat on an Indian Challenger which is 855 lbs and it felt light as hell compared to the 2023 and older Road Glides and well balanced. The new 2024 RG is similar feeling.

My Harley Softail Crossbones is not technically light at 737lbs but the way the previous Softail frame and bike was designed all the weight is down low which makes the bike feel way lighter and extremely easy to handle at slow speed.
I don't 'feel' they redesigned the RG to move weight lower. I'm 6'3" and can manage / handle the the things well so no dramatic differences for me anyway

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bigal51 (06-27-2024), Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:48 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 182 Likes on 112 Posts

I will preface my comments with the fact that I have had a Rushmore Road Glide since they came out (actually both a Twin Cam and M8), and I now have a 24. I also have a 22 Lowrider ST I bought the day they were announced. I have travelled extensively on all the mentioned bikes.

I don't notice any difference at all in the weight, the 24 is still heavy. You would probably shave the same amount of weight by going to a lithium battery in the old Road Glide. I did do that, and couldn't feel any difference there either. I think it's a placebo effect from them telling everyone it's soooo much lighter; again, I feel no difference in the real world.

The Low Rider ST is a great bike for what it is. What it is not, is a long distance touring bike. It's much more nimble that the FL, and feels that way. When I got the ST, I was hoping it was going to be the ultimate solo touring bike for the trips without a passenger. After one cross country vacation, I knew it was not going to ever be as good at that as a real touring class bike.

The Road Glide is more comfortable, and can haul much more gear. For a guy that rides 2 up, it's not even a debate; I don't even have rear pegs on my ST.

Is the new Road Glide some super bike, gap bridger, do it all now? No. It's just a better version of what it was before. I really can't notice any difference in low speed handling, high speed freeway riding, or anything else for that matter. Not trying to deter anyone from buying one, I do think it's a nice upgrade. I did feel the late M8 Road Glide was a nicely refined, better version of the 2015 version and a great machine though. I prefer the new screen, the bar setup, the hand controls, and can tell the wind protection is definitely better than the old version. My only complaints are minor. The navigation sucks because you can't zoom out or control it from the handlebars and there is no elevation display within the system at all. That's about the only things I don't like. (could be fixed with a software update if they wanted)

If a person can't handle a touring bike due to size or strength, then the FXLRST is probably the smart choice. But if I could only have 1 bike, I would pick the road glide.

The following 4 users liked this post by mrlexus:
Chad1200 (06-28-2024), jockotwin (06-24-2024), johnnynitro (06-25-2024), mjwebb (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:54 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 182 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I don't doubt what your saying at all. I noticed the difference just sitting on one. Im afraid that if I actually take one for a ride and the slow maneuvering handling is light years better then even my 2018 Road King was with no fairing ill be sucked into buying one. And I already have a deep hole in my pocket due to life circumstances.
The handling is not light years better. Somebody said 16 pounds lighter? A detachable tour pack weighs over 50 lbs. 2.5 gallons of gas weights more than that. I think my leather jacket weights 5 lbs. The battery itself is like 30 lbs. Keep in mind, they didn't change the frame at all, just some plastic cosmetics.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:16 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus
The handling is not light years better. Somebody said 16 pounds lighter? A detachable tour pack weighs over 50 lbs. 2.5 gallons of gas weights more than that. I think my leather jacket weights 5 lbs. The battery itself is like 30 lbs. Keep in mind, they didn't change the frame at all, just some plastic cosmetics.
From what they said though the 16lbs that they shaved was all at the top of the bike. For example the gas tank. Also the fairing design is better to me. The old one always felt awkward and far away to me. Which is why i always like the old street glide better then the RG. Now I like the new RG because the inner fairing is closer. Also the suspension is light years better from the specs I've seen and heard from other people. That also makes a difference in handling. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud. People that have experience in both have the real knowledge and opinion.

Quick Reply: Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?