Sponsored by:

Shocks for a Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 03:09 PM
WartHoggy
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Shocks for a Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low

I have a 2016 FLHTCUL and the stock suspension (especially the rear) could use some upgrading as the ride quality is a bit harsh

Any recommendations for a reasonable priced shock that is better than stock?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2024, 03:45 PM
SSG_B
Cruiser

Received 163 Likes on 84 Posts

Ohlins HD044 is what I run, there are other options out there, depends highly on your budget. Good luck with your search.

The following users liked this post:
bklynbob (07-21-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 04:03 PM
HD676
Advanced
Received 57 Likes on 20 Posts

I just added Legends Revo to my 2015 FLHTCUL and could not be happier. I did upgrade to 13” from the stock 12”.

Old 07-11-2024, 03:10 PM
Badgersnake
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running DKCustoms Nexgen rear shocks,Racetech fork springs with DKCustoms drop in Intimidator 3 stage valving on my 2018 Ultra Limited. No more front end dive when on the front brake and an awesome ride now that the front and rear actually work together.

Old 07-12-2024, 03:35 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 525 Posts

IMO, Ohlins HD044 are the best money can buy.
They REALLY shine if you ride two up and/or loaded down.
Other good options out there? Yep.
I’ve tried:
Stock air (2004) after the oil was changed and I removed the air lines, putting Shraeder valves on each shock.
Progressive (forgot which number)
Pro Action (George and DJ are really great guys to deal with)
Russ Wernimont RWDs (very good, but still need to adjust preload despite what is advertised when going 1-2 up)

I have HD357 rev 4, which is the same as HD044 with a slightly shorter hose for the reservoir.
You’ll hear this from others, hopefully… Once you go better in the back, it is painfully obvious how poor the fronts are.
I have legend cartridges in the front of mine. Not a fan. better than stock. But still harsh…. I just don’t’ feel like ponying up the money to replace them, yet…
When I do, if I don’t trade my 19 in for a new one, I’ll swap out the front for Ohlins cartridges.

Good luck, it really depends upon your budget.

The following 2 users liked this post by dajogejr:
bklynbob (07-21-2024), rauchman (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 01:22 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,631 Likes on 1,369 Posts

First off, whatever shock set you get, I'd highly recommend a 13" shock. For most aftermarket options, this will only add about a half inch in overall height when you're on the bike. The additional 1" allows for more travel within the shock giving the shock more time to do it's thing. If you want a cheap alternative, pickup a set of HD Road King, Ultra or Limited shocks, which are 13", and they add about 1" to the travel of the HD 12" shocks, which suck, which is what my bike came with. These are far from great, but they are decent and you can probably pick up a set cheap. Compared to a mono shock design, like a current Softail, which has up to 4.5" of travel, or something like a BMW GS, which gets to 8+", even the 13" HD shocks with 3" of travel is pretty measly, but again, still way better than the 2.1" of travel in the 12" shock.

I've really focused on suspension upgrades from my current HD (22 RG 107), as well as my previous bike (2013 Dyna Switchback) and my wife's bike (also a 2013 Dyna Switchback). Upgrading the suspension on a twin shock HD is about the best upgrade you can do. As you go up in price, you'll get more adjustability ...preload, damping, or....preload, compression and rebound. Most aftermarket options will also increase the travel in the shock, which is so critical to these shocks working well. If you want an aftermarket 12" shock, I think you can get to something like 2.7" of travel in some offerings. However, if you go for a 13" shock, you'll see up to 4" of travel within the shock, with most offerings around 3.5'ish". I'd highly recommend an aftermarket 13" shock, and at minimum, preload and damping adjustment.

My Switchback had 13" Hagon Nitro shocks from Britain, and were adjustable for preload and damping. At the time of purchase in 2014 or so, they were about $525. Terrific shocks for the price, but I'm not sure if these are still available in the US.

Somewhere along the way, I convinced my wife to try some aftermarket shocks, and we went with the Bitubo Twin Adjustables, which run under $600 currently. Right away she noticed the difference, and after setting SAG and fiddling with the damping, it's a truly different riding experience for the better.

On my current bike, I first went with RWD RS-1 shocks. I believe they have the longest travel available in a 13" shock at 4". Way better than the performance of the stock 12" shocks, but couldn't find the plushness I was seeking. I understand they now have a RS-2 version, but not sure how they compare to the RS-1's.

If you want arguably the best shocks available, ...Ohlins HD 044's. I currently run these, but they are very pricey at over $1,500. They offer preload, compression, rebound and overall length adjustment with remote reservoirs, and are simply fantastic. The price is very steep, however, when I'm slogging on a long day, I'm very thankful for these shocks.

There are a lot of options out there. I'd recommend at least the Bitubo Twin Adjustables as your start point, and go from there.

From my own experience, and reading the reviews of others on this site and elsewhere, I'd look at....

Bitubo Twin Adjustables
Ohlins (various price points and options)
ProAction (these shocks get a lot of love, and the company has a stellar reputation)
Legends
Fox
SuperShocks
RWD

Of course, once you have shocks, you will notice how atrocious the front end is. I'd highly recommend budgeting at $500 for fork improvements as well.

dajogejr (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:14 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,133 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Badgersnake
I'm running DKCustoms Nexgen rear shocks,Racetech fork springs with DKCustoms drop in Intimidator 3 stage valving on my 2018 Ultra Limited. No more front end dive when on the front brake and an awesome ride now that the front and rear actually work together.
I read about the Nexgens, but what would worry me is the only adjustment is for preload.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2024, 06:57 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 896 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
On my current bike, I first went with RWD RS-1 shocks. I believe they have the longest travel available in a 13" shock at 4". Way better than the performance of the stock 12" shocks, but couldn't find the plushness I was seeking. I understand they now have a RS-2 version, but not sure how they compare to the RS-1's.
I echo this completely. RW was great to work with, very responsive, but despite trying different settings, from dampener settings to preload, couldn’t get them as plush as Ohlins.
This was magnified by going two up. I was initially drawn to them for two reasons.
1. The ability to adjust them while bags are on for one to two up (this didn’t turn out to be the case)
2. Russ worked with Walker Evans, off road legend, on these.

I’m weary of trying any other brand nor do I have any need to. At the end of the day.. a typical 800 to 900 plus motocycle with 3 to 4” of travel is never going to be plush over everything. When hitting a frost heave or other road irregularity, often higher/lower than 2 inches… suspension can only do so much.
Some just do it better.

rauchman (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 09:24 PM
grinner
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Pro Action 12" have the same travel as stock 13" and are exceptionally adjustable.

Cosmic Razorback (07-18-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:55 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Pro Action on my 15 Ultra Low and Super Shocks on my 15 CVO Street Glide. I could not be happier with both. Brian at Super Shocks was very helpful on selection for the CVO and had them to me in 3weeks after ordering so I could get them on before leaving for a 3 week trip to Sturgis back in June. The Super Shocks lowered the CVO by about an inch, but gave me another inch or more of overall travel than the stockers. Very easy to dial in for solo or 2-up.

The Pro Action on my Ultra are amazing as well. Very easily dialed in provided you give them the correct info when ordering. I am going to swap them out with each other this fall and take a 1000 mile trip on both just to see how they feel. I don't foresee any difference, but I like to tinker and want to know

Quick Reply: Shocks for a Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low