General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership taking their time sending damage assessment to insurer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 08:19 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 207 Likes on 90 Posts
Unhappy Dealership taking their time sending damage assessment to insurer

Just venting - I towed my bike to the dealership (which will remain nameless - I don't wanna get sued) on 31/5/2024 and they still haven't sent the insurance company a damage assessment.
I phoned today and was told in might be done sometime this week or next week. Surely this shouldn't take that long? I'm missing my bike!

Old 06-17-2024, 08:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

So your insurance company doesn't send out their own appraiser?

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:33 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
So your insurance company doesn't send out their own appraiser?
In this instance the dealership is an approved repairer so I think the insurance company goes on their estimate without sending an appraiser.

Old 06-17-2024, 09:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 859 Likes on 649 Posts

Reviewing bike damage for insurance takes time.
It really depends on how busy the shop is at that moment.
Not every tech knows how to check every little line item.
They need to document every little screw that is scratched with a part number and labor.
Then insurance takes a look and they come to an agreement with the shop.
Sometimes a shop will take the opportunity to make you a deal on a new bike if that was your plan anyways.

The following 4 users liked this post by im:
clackavosticus (06-17-2024), gonemad (06-17-2024), Goose_NC (06-18-2024), luckiestiff (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 09:23 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master

Originally Posted by im
Reviewing bike damage for insurance takes time.
It really depends on how busy the shop is at that moment.
Not every tech knows how to check every little line item.
They need to document every little screw that is scratched with a part number and labor.
Then insurance takes a look and they come to an agreement with the shop.
Sometimes a shop will take the opportunity to make you a deal on a new bike if that was your plan anyways.
As per my thread "I've made the decision to upgrade" I am interested in getting a replacement bike with RDRS but I want to hold off till next year when I am confident the FLHTK model will be revised with the trickle down fairing from the 2023 CVO street glide.
If my bet is correct it should also come with the bump in displacement to 117 ci.
I'm happy to take the bus to work in the meantime but I miss my bike.
The ideal outcome would be that my bike is not a write off and repairable - if that is the case I plan to ride her till next year then trade her in for a new model.

Old 06-18-2024, 06:59 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Hey - good luck. Repairs and replacements parts for a bike can indeed take a bit of time.

My bike was tapped by another rider a few days ago - insurance company has already looked at the bike and settled. I talked with a repair shop - repair will take about 3 days - but with this great weather, I am not sure I want to tie it up that long. It is such a small job that he is doing it "in between" - my concern is "in between" may take much longer.

Back to your bike - my bet is someone at the dealership can probably tell you the chances of the bike being totaled. This might provide some extra guidance on what or when you might purchase your new bike.

One final thought - some time ago, I wrote an article on the best time to buy a car (or bike). The best time is "before you need it". If your dealer knows you need a new bike because your last one was totaled, you might pay more that you intend to pay for the new bike. So, please be careful.

clackavosticus (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:26 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,906 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Doesnt the insurance company send the appraiser / adjuster to the dealer? I bet theres more at play than meets the eye..

Old 06-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Grouser62
Road Master
Received 564 Likes on 265 Posts

You might be surprised how little damage creates a write off. And I believe it’s because repair shops get carried away with detailed estimates to the point a good bike gets written off and then wears the salvage title the rest of its life.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grouser62:
clackavosticus (06-18-2024), Goose_NC (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 09:11 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
You might be surprised how little damage creates a write off. And I believe it’s because repair shops get carried away with detailed estimates to the point a good bike gets written off and then wears the salvage title the rest of its life.

I had an incident with me and my bike loosing all power. I was coasting over I was trying to bump start the bike, and didn't see my buddy had stopped on the shoulder. My front tire hit his rear end, mostly tire to tire. I had not for damage, just a mushed fender. mushed the rear fender on my buddies bike. He took it to the HD dealer and the bike was totaled. The body shop that repainted my new front fender told me that if they see a wrinkle in the paint on the frame, they will total a bike because of the labor hours to strip down a bike to the frame to check for straightness and possible repair. And no one wants to risk issues because of frame damage. So my buddy got a new bike because of that wrinkle.

Old 06-18-2024, 12:35 PM
GOGOBECK
Road Warrior
Received 788 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by clackavosticus
Just venting - I towed my bike to the dealership (which will remain nameless - I don't wanna get sued) on 31/5/2024 and they still haven't sent the insurance company a damage assessment.
I phoned today and was told in might be done sometime this week or next week. Surely this shouldn't take that long? I'm missing my bike!

I’m with you… 3 1/2 months for a repair estimate is nuts.
I’d be on top of the insurer, it’s what you pay for!

Quick Reply: Dealership taking their time sending damage assessment to insurer