Sponsored by:

'23 Road King Gear numbers missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 01:21 PM
JimRunningLizard
Intermediate
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Question '23 Road King Gear numbers missing

I'm having a problem with my 2023 Road King Special.

I had a 34 tooth front belt pulley installed last week (6.5% RPM Drop at speed). Since then, the gear numbers in the Gear/RPM display are blank'sh. When I picked it up from the shop there where no gear numbers shown. After riding it during the week, the 1st gear number shows up most of the time. The 2nd gear number shows up some of the time. For 3 through 6, nothing shows. Also, the Cruse Control will engage in 2nd gear if the number is showing, but it will not engage in higher gears(because of the gear #'s are missing?). The cruse control button turns on the yellow icon, but the cruse control does not engage to keep the bike at speed in gears 3 through 6. I haven't found any other items that don't function. Could be because everything else is working or I haven't found it yet. Thanks in advances for your responses.

I've looked over the bike and didn't see any loose or disconnected wiring. The bike starts in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. The brake lights function correctly and only when the lever/peddle are activated. The neutral light is only on when the trans is in neutral. The clutch is adjusted to engage at an acceptable place in the lever travel. Also, YES everything functioned normally prior to the pulley install.

Also, the Pulley was professionally installed. I didn't have the special tools and the clutch pack buildup is kind of intimidating to me. Maybe next time.

What I'm looking for is what the corrective action(s) would be for the 34 tooth pulley install upsetting the gear/cruse/ECM function.

Also, how can I correct for the HD speedo reading fast? The HD speed shows 77/78 at 75 GPS mph . For the last 2 Harleys I did the 34 tooth pulley change to, the MPH came out of the trans, and the HD speedo self corrected because of the 6.5% RPM change. This one gets the MPH from the front wheel, correct? So, I've got to adjust something to correct the Speedo reading.

This is a 2023 Road King Special, 114CI, 15,500'sh miles, and drivetrain is bone stock, so far (lifetime warranty &#128513.

Stay Safe - I'll see you in the wind.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:15 AM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 512 Posts

Had same issue. You might have bad transmission sensor but I doubt it. in my case it was left handlebar switch that was bad. I had 2022 RKS exactly same issues as you described. I was told lighted switches are better as I was told water can cause this handlebar switch to go bad.

Last edited by Burbur2; 06-28-2024 at 01:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimRunningLizard (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:11 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,460 Likes on 961 Posts

Playing with my M8 Heritage, I've learned I can fake it out to show a gear while I hold in the clutch. The module (whichever one) is using engine RPM and something of the bike speed (probably the ABS signal) to identify gear selection.

So, if that's the case, particularly the use of the ABS signal for vehicle speed, the pulley change will prevent it from identifying the gear you're in, because it won't match the oem specs.

I do believe you will have to get the software updated to correct for this. Hopefully Harley does have this ability.

JimRunningLizard (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:46 AM
JimRunningLizard
Intermediate
Default Investigating vs Troubleshooting

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Had same issue. You might have bad transmission sensor but I doubt it. in my case it was left handlebar switch that was bad. I had 2022 RKS exactly same issues as you described. I was told lighted switches are better as I was told water can cause this handlebar switch to go bad.
Thanks for the info. I've fought the switch monster on both my FatBob and FatBoy (Florida humidity).

Since the Cruise engages while in 2nd, when the gear number is present, I've kind of eliminated looking at the control grip switches. For now.

After reading about the trans sensor, I'm thinking about checking/cleaning it just so I can rule it out. I could have been bumped or jostled.

I'm leaning toward the ECM is not happy with the RMP vs speed it's seeing after the pulley change. I'm investigating to see if the ECM setting is as simple as changing a parameter from 32 to 34. Wouldn't that be awesome!

I'm worried that HD has a speed vs RPM table in there that will require much "adjustment" to make the gear number re-appear. Wish me luck

Thanks again for responding.

Jim

Old 06-28-2024, 08:56 AM
JimRunningLizard
Intermediate
Default Hair pulling in my future?

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Playing with my M8 Heritage, I've learned I can fake it out to show a gear while I hold in the clutch. The module (whichever one) is using engine RPM and something of the bike speed (probably the ABS signal) to identify gear selection.

So, if that's the case, particularly the use of the ABS signal for vehicle speed, the pulley change will prevent it from identifying the gear you're in, because it won't match the oem specs.

I do believe you will have to get the software updated to correct for this. Hopefully Harley does have this ability.
I'm thinking you're right about reprograming or settings needing to be updated.

Right now I'm trying to find out what the settings are that need "changing".

Is it as simple as updating the belt pulley tooth count setting? This would be great!

Or am I in for a RPM vs speed vs gear data table reconfigure? This one would cause more hair pulling that I want to get involved in. But we'll do what we must to make it right.

I posted this on here with the hope that someone has done this already and I don't have to "reinvent the wheel" as the saying goes.

Thanks for responding

Jim

Old 06-28-2024, 09:04 AM
JimRunningLizard
Intermediate

As an update to this problem, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For when I get there.

I contacted Fuel Moto (the sponsor for these threads) and they said they could get me a "tune" for this. Just make sure I include the pulley change numbers with any other changes I've made to the RKS.

I'm going to see if I can get this solved without goin the "tuner" route, because of warranty. But, the pull to just tune it and be done is strong. I'm just a filter away from stage 1.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this saga plays out.

Wish me luck

Jim

Last edited by JimRunningLizard; 06-28-2024 at 09:06 AM.
foxtrapper (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:42 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 535 Posts

You mentioned "professionally installed" as opposed to a dealer, so I assume it was done by your local shop? Certainly sounds like a table needs updated in the ECM and you should be good to go. I would have thought the shop would be aware of the fix (whatever it is) and made the correction as part of the install. If you're worried about warranty a tune is definitely going to kill it and if you ever have a problem just having the pulley changed may be enough for the dealer to bust your chops on anything powertrain related in the future. I'm not saying it's right, just depends on the dealer. If the shop that installed the pulley can't correct it I'd start by calling your local dealer and ask them about updating your tables.

JimRunningLizard (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:26 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,570 Posts

This video demonstrates using the DynoJet PowerVision to calibrate the speedometer without altering the factory tune. The only thing that is changed is the pulses from the VSS. Whether or not this change will void the warranty is subject to debate.

Old 06-29-2024, 03:25 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 209 Posts

A tuning device will have the ability to change primary ratio.

Old 06-30-2024, 12:28 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,573 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRunningLizard
As an update to this problem, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For when I get there.

I contacted Fuel Moto (the sponsor for these threads) and they said they could get me a "tune" for this. Just make sure I include the pulley change numbers with any other changes I've made to the RKS.

I'm going to see if I can get this solved without goin the "tuner" route, because of warranty. But, the pull to just tune it and be done is strong. I'm just a filter away from stage 1.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this saga plays out.

Wish me luck

Jim
The Only way to solve this will be to reprogram the ECM which will void the warranty. The issue is your pulley change, and your Gear indicator, Speedo along with your Cruise Control will not work properly until it is corrected.

JimRunningLizard (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: '23 Road King Gear numbers missing