Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cooling for FW RIDER, not passenger

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024 | 03:12 PM
joebedford
|
Cruiser
Default Cooling for FW RIDER, not passenger

My wife has a lot of problem with heat on her right thigh when she's riding her Freewheeler. She even has a heat shield she can tie on over her jeans.

No we're not going to remove the cat.

I've been looking at the CoolFlow fan from H-D. It's kinda pricey so I'd like to know if it helps cool the rider?? Someone says the dealer has to do a reflash

Old 06-15-2024 | 03:58 PM
ajtwin
Cruiser

CoolFlow fan in addition to the Mid-Frame Air Deflectors help a lot.
The dealer does have to program the ECM for it.

At the end of the day, you're sitting on top of two fireballs... yet the CoolFlow fan will help aleviate it.

Old 06-15-2024 | 05:16 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Check us out we have a lot of happy freewheeler customers that use our heat shields .. If you have any questions at all please contact us .. Thank you ..

The following 2 users liked this post by Captain Itch:
Paintslinger16 (06-19-2024), ShovelEd (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024 | 05:25 PM
joebedford
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Check us out we have a lot of happy freewheeler customers that use our heat shields .. If you have any questions at all please contact us .. Thank you ..
I did. Do you have any that protect the rider's legs? Looks to me that your products are more to protect passengers.

Old 06-15-2024 | 05:43 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by joebedford
I did. Do you have any that protect the rider's legs? Looks to me that your products are more to protect passengers.
I can attest to Captain Itch products, been using mine for about 10 years now and it REALLY works for the driver!!!

EDIT, all those fans push air from the left side though the fins to the right side, making that thigh cook even worse, for me, thats where the Captain Itch heat shield really shines!!

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 06-15-2024 at 06:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MURPHCC1:
Captain Itch (06-17-2024), ShovelEd (06-15-2024), Udawg (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024 | 08:33 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Riders Club Member

They’re designed to insulate the driver’s thighs from the heat.

Old 06-15-2024 | 08:34 PM
joebedford
|
Cruiser

I don't understand how the CoolFlow pushes air to the right. Seems like fans that mount on the horn would, but the Coolflow would seem to direct air down and to the rear.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-16-2024 | 05:34 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You're right on that.........I was thinking of all the others.

Old 06-16-2024 | 05:54 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

My wife has a lot of problem with heat on her right thigh when she's riding her Freewheeler.
The first thing to add to combat a leg/thigh heat issue is a Capt. Itch “Heat Shield” or as most of us know it; “Crotch Cooler”.
The Crotch Cooler is for the driver to combat exactly the issue your Wife is experiencing.

Sure the Capt. Itch Heat Shield/Crotch Cooler may seem a tad pricey but this is one item where-as you actually get what you pay for.

Order your Wife a Capt. Itch Heat Shield/Crotch Cooler of her desired design and then re-evaluate the heat issue after that’s installed for a few rides.
Don’t get sucked into buying one of the cheap e-Bay versions as they are no way the quality of the Capt. Itch version.

And no I’m not sponsored by Capt. Itch.
I’m just a fan of their products.

Lastly in the picture below you might notice the Love Jugs Mighty Mites.
Those are not for heat relief for the rider but rather heat relief for the cylinder heads so don’t add those for comfort reasons.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-16-2024 at 06:31 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluraven:
Captain Itch (06-17-2024), MURPHCC1 (06-17-2024), talkingrock (Yesterday)
Old 06-16-2024 | 12:53 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

My wife has a lot of problem with heat on her right thigh when she's riding her Freewheeler. She even has a heat shield she can tie on over her jeans.

No we're not going to remove the cat.

I've been looking at the CoolFlow fan from H-D. It's kinda pricey so I'd like to know if it helps cool the rider?? Someone says the dealer has to do a reflash
To answer your question regarding the CoolFlow...while it does not cool the engine, it does reduce the amount of heat radiating to the passengers legs. Last I checked, it did require a flash to activate it.

The best solution is to reduce the heat being generated. Here is a LINK to a written report on things that can be done to reduce the heat, rather than cover it up.

Below is a video on how to make a Trike more Comfortable for the passenger.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Cooling for FW RIDER, not passenger