Sponsored by:

Correct and upgraded Screaming Eagle oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024 | 12:03 PM
Rickr01
|
Club Member
Default Correct and upgraded Screaming Eagle oil pump

Im getting ready to tear into my 2018 Softail Slim to replace the oil pump. I attempted to get the post 2020 but they are back ordered apparently so my dealer is selling me the complete Screaming Eagle pump kit which includeds the o-rings and gaskets to pull the rocker covers. Someone just told me that some Screaming Eagle pumps had a machining defect and missing plug? There was apparently a TSB but when I try to pull it up is no longer there? Can anyone validate this and also does anyone have the corrected kit part number? The motor is pretty much stock so the pricier Screaming Eagle seems over kill but thats whats available. Thanks for any insight on this? Im also assuming that the Screaming Eagle will be a direct bolt on like the stock pump? No different spacers or shims required?

Old 01-21-2024 | 12:09 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Im getting ready to tear into my 2018 Softail Slim to replace the oil pump. I attempted to get the post 2020 but they are back ordered apparently so my dealer is selling me the complete Screaming Eagle pump kit which includeds the o-rings and gaskets to pull the rocker covers. Someone just told me that some Screaming Eagle pumps had a machining defect and missing plug? There was apparently a TSB but when I try to pull it up is no longer there? Can anyone validate this and also does anyone have the corrected kit part number? The motor is pretty much stock so the pricier Screaming Eagle seems over kill but thats whats available. Thanks for any insight on this? Im also assuming that the Screaming Eagle will be a direct bolt on like the stock pump? No different spacers or shims required?
Just had the SE oil pump and cam plate installed in my ‘21 - 131 build. Not aware of any issues or additional parts needed. I’m selling the OEM oil pump and cam plate out of my ‘21 touring bike, but not sure it will fit a softail.

Old 01-21-2024 | 01:45 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

What is better about the SE plate/pump over the newer 8 lobe pump/plate?

Last edited by 702; 01-21-2024 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (01-24-2024)
Old 01-21-2024 | 01:55 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by 702
What is better about the SE/plate pump over the newer 8 lobe pump/plate?
I assume the SE pump has the same stringent requirements related to crank runout as the other high-end plates? I looked at the instruction sheet that comes with it, but saw no instructions related to checking crank runout

Old 01-21-2024 | 03:23 PM
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I assume the SE pump has the same stringent requirements related to crank runout as the other high-end plates? I looked at the instruction sheet that comes with it, but saw no instructions related to checking crank runout
I still can't get my head wrapped around how it's better. Same goes for the aftermarket, like S&S, it doesn't seem better to me. Maybe I'm just dense 🤣

Fireball Jack (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024 | 04:24 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member

I’m not sure all of the differences or what all of the advantages are but below is from the HD site and in bold is what I think advantages are. Interesting, when I was planning my current build I talked/interviewed 4 different shops. 1 shop, the one doing the build, said they always upgrade the oil pump on all builds over stage 2. 2 shops including FM said no need to upgrade and 1 said they leave it up to the customer.

There are so many options out there not sure what is best, I just went with the shop I felt best about and took their recommendations.

A high-performance Milwaukee-Eight® engine deserves high-performance oiling. This new kit includes a Super Sucker oil pump to improve the oil flow rate to critical engine components, and a CNC machined billet aluminum cam plate for precise alignment of high-performance cam and chain. It’s the ideal component combination for a tuned-up Milwaukee Eight engine. Install and ride hard with confidence.
• Heat-treated 6061 billet aluminum cam support plate with an orange anodized finish is strong and rigid to provide superior strength, rigidity, and durability
• Pressed-in 660 bronze cam bushings provide enhanced wear resistance under increased loads from high-performance cams for miles of worry-free riding
• CNC-precision machining ensures precise dimensions and constant material thickness across the plate, enabling perfect alignment of cams and chains
• Oil pump features a 9% larger gerotor for increased flow at idle and 33% more scavenge capacity compared to a 2020-Later Original Equipment oil pump, for increased performance, efficiency and engine durability
• The hub-and-spoke oil passage design improves oil flow rate to critical engine components
• Upgraded filter protection promotes engine durability: Two screens mounted in both pickups and a magnet in between the pickups provide extra oil filtering to remove contaminants before they can reach critical upper end components

talkingrock (10-07-2024)
Old 01-21-2024 | 05:25 PM
Grand HDF Member

I guess it's just going to be whatever makes you feel good.

HD's word salad doesn't convince it's better. Or that it's necessary in a splash system.

I'm trying to be open minded about this, but I see it as an unnecessary expense since the current OEM product is just fine.

Sorry for sidetracking your thread OP, I know you probably need this for your model year.

Last edited by 702; 01-21-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2024 | 05:57 PM
cobra23
Road Captain

I would go with a S&S or Feuling pump. No issues with them

Old 01-21-2024 | 08:56 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior

There’s zero issues with the HD billet plate and pump I used it in my 131 CVO S/G with no problems

Old 01-21-2024 | 09:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

There are no issues with the latest OEM pump...

Quick Reply: Correct and upgraded Screaming Eagle oil pump