General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key code

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 08:44 AM
ricurt
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key code

Can a key code be looked up by me or a dealer using the vin. number? I have a Evo Dyna with barrel keys that work in the inition but not the fork lock. I think maybe the ignition was changed with new keys. I know I could remove the fork lock , but I'm not into removeing the front end at this time to get the lock out to check. I also can just suck it up and order keys from a dealer, that might end up being the same as the ignition and the fork lock is just jammed or broken. See a lot of keys for sale but I need the key code. any imput out tere?

Old 08-01-2023, 09:00 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 4,201 Posts

I can look at my barrel keys and see they are the same? Can you?

A little bit of filing can make a lock fit your barrel. May loose a pin or so but as long as you have an alarm, no biggie. There 6. A locksmith probably has some. I think they are the same size as most common passage poor lock. Just vertical rather then perpendicular .

My tank switch is so worn, know two pins got out and were sitting on top. I saved thim in my lock pin drawer. I have matched many door locks in all the homes we have lived in over the last 50 years. Never know what one might need.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-01-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:30 AM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 554 Likes on 262 Posts

No, the Dealer can't get a Key Code from the VIN. Best bet for the Fork Lock would be a Locksmith.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:41 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 353 Posts

^^^For personal satisfaction and "closure" I would agree. And if you would ever sell the bike, it is absolutely essential to know.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:40 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by ricurt
Can a key code be looked up by me or a dealer using the vin. number? I have a Evo Dyna with barrel keys that work in the inition but not the fork lock. I think maybe the ignition was changed with new keys. I know I could remove the fork lock , but I'm not into removeing the front end at this time to get the lock out to check. I also can just suck it up and order keys from a dealer, that might end up being the same as the ignition and the fork lock is just jammed or broken. See a lot of keys for sale but I need the key code. any imput out tere?
It reads like it would be easier to have a locksmith code the fork lock..that should be rather quick (under 2 minutes) if he/she has the simple tool.
Then the locksmith makes the key from code tool. NOTE: Not every locksmith makes barrel keys... Cheap but you end-up with one key for fork lock and another for ignition.
This assumes that fork lock pin was not destroyed during a theft attempt.
The code tool will work to unlock and lock fork lock if it is functional so you will know not to make key if lock does not work.
Alternatively...and more expensive, Can be done as a second visit or same visit but you have to be ready....
Once the locksmith has the key code, function of fork lock was confirmed with key code tool, remove your ignition lock yourself while they grind new keys and have them rekey the ignition lock to match the fork lock.
A few phone calls should isolate who decodes & re-pins barrel keys in your area.
If you make an appointment and take the bike to them and remove the ignition lock yourself it is likely to save the off site visit charge and extra labor fee's.
Again, this assumes that fork lock pin (part that locks fork to frame) was not destroyed during a theft attempt.
A time saving step would be confirming that no visible damage appears at fork lock area...like happens with a theft.

Old 07-03-2024, 07:29 PM
Nightside13
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's not true. the company registers the key code with the vin in their system.

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 07:30 PM
Nightside13
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgrchaplain
No, the Dealer can't get a Key Code from the VIN. Best bet for the Fork Lock would be a Locksmith.
thats not true, the company registers the key code with with the vin in their system

Old 07-03-2024, 07:44 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,210 Likes on 2,244 Posts

I just ordered replacement keys using my registration and VIN through my local dealer.
Don't bother trying to get replacements without having your registration in-hand.

Cost for (2) factory keys for my 2007 Ultra Classic was about $40.

They won't be able to help you if the ignition, fork lock, or bag locks have been changed.

The following 2 users liked this post by 07UltraGuy:
Jackie Paper (07-04-2024), Nightside13 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 03:00 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,374 Likes on 673 Posts

You could purchase a tubular key pick and have a key made. The pick determines the key configuration and then the locksmith can grind a duplicate.

Link here: Tubular Key Pick

Last edited by Evo-Wes; 07-04-2024 at 03:08 PM.