Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 12:36 PM
timbo1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android

Bought my bike late last year and quickly added some generic slip on exhaust and then recently added a SE Extreme Billet Ventilator high flow breather. From everything I read I was supposed to be able to have the HD dealer connect it to their Digital Technician and just update the calibration of the ECM however the two dealers I spoke with said they couldn't do that any longer on my 2014 FLHTCU and I would need to purchase a tune license or tuner to get the ECM calibrated.

So after researching, talking to dealers and comparing prices I decided on the PV4 since I didn't plan on any other modifications and think the path forward with the PV4 platform could expand significantly with new features and it was roughly the cost of what the dealer wanted for a tune license and their labor.

The problem is I've had consistent problems with the Android app.
With the first version app which is now called "Legacy" on Google Play Store I had constant connect failures. About 50% of the time I'd have to close the app and reopen it to connect.
I was also seeing an intermittent ABS warning that appeared to only occur while having Live Gauges active with this ver. Not 100% sure on this because I couldn't replicate the warning and I'm no longer seeing it.
I also felt the UI was lacking and outdated and needed a revamp.

With the new app "Generation 2" ver. 1.26 I was anxious to update to hopefully fix the connect problems and immediately found it reporting DTC's but no information regarding what the DTC's were.
Dynojet released a fix for the DTC's a few days later with ver. 1.29

With ver. 1.29 the erroneous DTC's appear to no longer be reported but when it returns 0 Codes I may get multiple responses, as many as 5 at one time saying 0 Codes.
Additionally the new 1.29 ver. allows the screen to sleep so Live Gauges disappear when the screen sleeps requiring me to unlock the phone while driving if I want to see the Live Gauges.
While Datalog does generate .wp8 files I'm unable to open them in WinPEP 8 Data Center as there is an error stating "File Open Error: The magic number in GZip header is not correct. Make sure you are passing in a GZip stream."

The new version has been more consistently connecting to the PV4 however not 100% of the time and they have made some modifications to Live Gauges screens which add additional screens that allow swiping to which is an improvement over the old ver.

But not being able to view the Datalog results or see Live Gauges persistently and the ongoing issues I'm seeing has me questioning my decision to go with the PV4. The issues I've stated have been communicated to Dynojet and they say they will be or are working on fixes in future releases, which is great. I fully understand a platform like this with many variants of devices and OS versions can be more difficult than coding for a proprietary device, but I shouldn't feel like a beta tester either. I don't have confidence in the DTC or the Datalog coding at this point which also creates some concern for the rest of the features of the device. Sorry that got really long.

So a few questions / requests.
What are other users experiencing with the PV4?
Anyone else seeing the multiple DTC results?
Android or Apple?
Can anyone view their Datalog files generated with the PV4 app? If you can could you share one please for me to test with?

TIA
Timbo1

Old 06-08-2023, 01:48 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 617 Posts

unfortuneately DJ makes us all their beta testers. to me its even worse with the dyno control software along with all the PV crap......i feel for you.
m

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (08-17-2024)
Old 06-08-2023, 07:37 PM
timbo1
Advanced

Originally Posted by marcodarq
unfortuneately DJ makes us all their beta testers. to me its even worse with the dyno control software along with all the PV crap......i feel for you.
m
You were pretty much dead on, lol

Last night Dynojet released a new version 1.31 which I tried this morning. Reading .wp8 files still generated errors and I still received multiple results when reading DTC's. It appears they did fix the screen sleep while running Live Gauges but I haven't really ran the bike for more than a few minutes to completely be sure of that.

Anyway I called into Dynojet this morning to try to work through the error I was receiving when trying to open the .wp8 files. After a very long wait on hold someone answered and we discussed the problem. I sent them files I generated this morning and he received the same error as I. He had never seen the error before and couldn't provide a solution so said they'd have to get back with me.

This evening I received an email response that stated that the latest PV4 app required the latest beta release of the Power Core software to open the logfiles. With the instruction on how to enable Powercore updates and beta releases I'm now able to open the .wp8 files. Woohoo success at least in part.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:24 PM
hdsoftail98
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far all the App do for me is read my VIN copy my ECU but it will not let me find or download a map

Old 09-10-2023, 01:47 PM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 283 Likes on 144 Posts

I have this for 08 fat bob and haven't had much of an issue with anything. App needs to stay updated just like any other app you have on your phone . I don't even have the unit plugged in all the time either . Once I flash a tune I remove unit from the bike and ride . The only thing I would say helps is having vendor support which I have with FuelMoto because that's where I bought mine from . Once you figure it out it's pretty easy .

hdsoftail98 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:31 PM
hdsoftail98
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply but it's just not working for me I got to wait till Monday and get a hold of Donna jet

Old 09-11-2023, 02:34 PM
timbo1
Advanced

Let us know how it turns out.

I've pretty much gave up on them and the PV4 as feature updates never seem to come. It seems when there is an update to the app which is not very frequent it's bug fixes. (Poor pre release testing)

I still have login issues when traveling and unable to use the device at all sometimes due to that. Had a rolling ticket requesting they remove the login from local use features but their system continually closes tickets unless you keep responding to the email. Got tired of that, support stated a couple times they'd forward the request on to those in charge... (But No Fix Yet.)

Their support has stated "the app and device are completely dependent on an internet connection to a cloud and simply are not intended to be a replacement stock gauge cluster."
I must have overlooked that in their advertisements because I specifically bought the PV4 with the intent of using the Live Gauges no matter where I happened to be.

Old 09-11-2023, 02:48 PM
AkaReaper
Cruiser

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I hate mine. The DJ name and "Features coming soon" hooked me right in. Nothing but the same issues, Constant app updates that don't work half the time, and then I will get prompted to update and when I hit it, it just starts the DJ app up. Won't connect a lot of times period. Always having to sign in. Haven't even tried the data logging because I'm doubtful it works. I'm seriously looking at dumping mine for something else.

brownie4412 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 01:46 PM
porkster
Club Member
Received 200 Likes on 145 Posts

Just hope you never lose connection in the middle of flashing a tune. Happened to me with a Vance and Hines FP3 and scrambled my fuel gauge. Even TTS Mastertune is going to the Bluetooth stuff now, I just don’t trust it though.

AkaReaper (09-15-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:50 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,396 Likes on 3,609 Posts

Not sure about the PV4 but do really like the PV2B.. Never had an issue with programming or the device itself..I hear they are discontinueing it though but will still support it.. It's very versatile..

Quick Reply: Dynojet Power Vision 4 on Android