Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Does resetting ECM cancel add on tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 09:49 AM
Rodent66
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Does resetting ECM cancel add on tune ?

If you have installed a tune from PVCX or FP-3, will resetting the ECM ( switch on/off 4 x) cancel your tune ? I suspect not but just checking. I removed the EiEDs, cleaned throttle body, few other minor things. Just want bike to start fresh and not confuse ECM .

Old 05-26-2023, 10:00 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,010 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't know. Where will it get another tune from though?

Old 05-26-2023, 11:04 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,025 Likes on 11,643 Posts

I never heard of resetting the ECM. But, it can’t cancel a tune because that’s the only one there, and there wouldn’t be one to fall back on.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:17 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

ECMs can be reset but there's really no reason you need to do that. What the OP is talking about is not resetting the ECM. It's resetting the TPS.
Resetting the ECM is a bit more involved and would require a battery charger be hooked up as it takes like 30 minutes of having the power on.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:41 PM
Ohio HD
Road Master
Received 719 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodent66
If you have installed a tune from PVCX or FP-3, will resetting the ECM ( switch on/off 4 x) cancel your tune ? I suspect not but just checking. I removed the EiEDs, cleaned throttle body, few other minor things. Just want bike to start fresh and not confuse ECM .
If what you're using places a flashed tune into the ECM, it'll be there until you overwrite it with another tune. You overwrote the factory tune values when you flashed a new tune to the ECM.

Old 05-28-2023, 01:59 PM
Rodent66
Cruiser
Default Resetting the ECM

Resetting the ECM from what I’ve read only requires -start/stop switch on, cycle ignition switch on-off, on-off, on-off, on-off, slowly 4 times. Then it’s done. If I’m wrong then I apologize. But I can try to look this back up. Seen this a few times. Instructions claim this procedure just puts ECM parameters back to normal. My question was I didn’t want to lose my aftermarket tune I added to original tune. Which I assume I won’t. Scenario like this-say you removed the Exieds from bike because your selling the bike. Resetting ECM so when you start the bike up it omitted the previous Exieds setting/info to the ECM. ( example). Correct me if I’m wrong.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:28 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

I found the same info while confirming the pixie dust formula to reset idle speed and it made me think about other data in the ECM as well. I only saw one article on it - it didn't directly say tunes were unaffected but I kind of inferred it based on other comments. That makes sense to me and kind of like others said those tables are constant until modified by another tune. I can see other tables going back to default values like you stated, but gut feel is tune wouldn't be impacted. Maybe try reaching out to the gurus like Steve Cole or the guys at fuel moto.

FWIW, the speed is important when cycling the ignition switch. For the idle reset it is 10 seconds between on and off cycles with kill switch in run and start bike after 4th cycle. The post I found for ECM reset said to cycle ignition on and then back to off 4 times before the red security light goes out which is only a second or two. Kill switch was also in run for that one. I've reset the idle speed a couple of times and can confirm it works, however I have never physically tried the ECM reset. Note that this was all info on Rushmore bikes.

Interested in hearing an update if you tried it.

Last edited by Roadie13; 06-03-2023 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:31 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 621 Posts

you are not re-setting the ecm with the key on, off procedure.
you are resetting data points for the idle system that the ecm uses to operate correctly.
re-setting the ecm requires a connection at the DLC or removal from the bike and acessed through a bench harness.
Properly understanding terms and service operations is a very important thing. When you say the wrong things to someone that actually does know how things work, you look and sound like a dumb@@@@.
I understand people wanting to work on their own stuff, more power to you. But learn the proper way to communicate things so that when you come on forums like this one, people with the know how can help you and if you have to go into a shop with an issue, it can be correctly worked out for you.
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 06-03-2023 at 03:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by marcodarq:
jbarr1 (06-05-2023), porkster (06-03-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 08:33 PM
Rodent66
Cruiser

Well marcodarq, I had read doing the key on/off 3-4 times as “ resetting the ECM”, on this forum-so excuse the **** outta me. I wasn’t Trying to misguide anyone, only asking a question . I’ve wrenched on bike and cars for over 50 yrs, but not 100% profecent as you on the electronic stuff obviously. However I’d never try to be a smart *** about answering questions when I knew the answer.

Old Today, 02:13 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 436 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm bringing up this topic because I have a small problem when starting my 2024 RKS, the bike is stock, the first second when I activate the starter, the speed goes up to 2800 rpm and then goes back down to around 1500 rpm and goes down little by little the engine heats up, which is normal.
What is not normal in my opinion is this rush at startup, I have never had this on my 114 LRS and I was wondering if a reset of the ECM would not solve this problem and what is the procedure ?