Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 01:22 PM
Purplhrt91
Stage III

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Question Speakers

I have a 22 Street Glide Special and all id like to do is pull out stock speakers and replace with speakers that are louder and have better sound quality.
Any suggestions on replacement speakers.
All advice welcome and appreciated.
JP

Old 10-07-2022, 01:30 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

You won't gain much without an amp.

The following users liked this post:
Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:31 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

seems the general consensus is you need to add an amp as well as better speakers to get more sound. im sure the gurus will be along shortly to share more knowledge, ask for a budget, goals, is it DIY or shop install before making recommendations.

Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 12:15 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 157 Posts

If you are looking to gain more volume, you are going to want to add an amp, along with upgrading your speakers.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:40 PM
SoCalHarley
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

The Harley/Rockford Fosgate Stage 2 speakers by themselves will improve sound quality quite a bit and increase volume only slightly. I used them in my 21 SGS by themselves for a few weeks before adding a RF Amp and the Harley Stage 2 bag speakers. The quality of the sound was much better. You could install these first and see how it does for you.

Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by SoCalHarley
The Harley/Rockford Fosgate Stage 2 speakers by themselves will improve sound quality quite a bit and increase volume only slightly. I used them in my 21 SGS by themselves for a few weeks before adding a RF Amp and the Harley Stage 2 bag speakers. The quality of the sound was much better. You could install these first and see how it does for you.
For the price, you would be way further ahead buying a decent set of speakers, and adding an amp right off the get go.
The reason I say that......is there are way better speakers out there for less money than the RF speakers. The same goes for the amp.
There are a lot of guys on the forum that have wasted money on Rockford, only to upgrade them again latter.
In my opinion Rockford is a waste of time, and money.
Better off with a set of Mmats PA 601.4cx coax, and a decent 2 channel amp around 150 watts per channel. Something like the JL Audio MX 280/4, which puts out 140 watts x 2.
Yes you will have to modify the speaker pods to get the Mmats speakers to fit, but you would have to modify the pods tog get most decent quality speakers to fit.
The exception is the Hertz SX neo coax which drops into the pods without mods, but it is pricey.
Yes the RF speakers will drop in, but again, there are way, way, way better options.
There are other speakers that claim to be a direct replacement, and a huge improvement over stock, like Hogtunes, Biketronics, J&M, etc.......yes they are all better than stock, because stock is junk. Adding a decent amp will give you better volume, better sound quality, and a way better riding experience at 75 mph.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bluesman280:
Fireball Jack (10-10-2022), Hawg2008 (03-13-2023), Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 06:00 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,224 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Purplhrt91
I have a 22 Street Glide Special and all id like to do is pull out stock speakers and replace with speakers that are louder and have better sound quality.
Any suggestions on replacement speakers.
All advice welcome and appreciated.
JP
Man, I remember when I asked this question. I just wanted to replace the speakers, I was sure that was all I needed to hear some tunes at 75 MPH

With stock pipes/cam, I suppose it might be possible. My buddy did just the RF stage 2 speaks, and it helps a little bit, but as stated, you really need to add an amplifier.

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
M Oclaf (10-09-2022), Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 10:27 AM
Bluesman280
Road Master

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Man, I remember when I asked this question. I just wanted to replace the speakers, I was sure that was all I needed to hear some tunes at 75 MPH

With stock pipes/cam, I suppose it might be possible. My buddy did just the RF stage 2 speaks, and it helps a little bit, but as stated, you really need to add an amplifier.

Good luck!
Most of us have started off with just upgrading to some better speakers. When that didn't get it done....we added a cheap amp with 75 watts per channel, then we yanked it out, and tried something like the 7.25" J&M Rokkers, and 7" Hogtunes in the lowers. Then we tried a bigger amp, each time getting a little bit better, but never getting to the point where we could enjoy our tunes at 70-75 mph plus!
Then we started actually listening to the guys on the forum.......and ripped off the bandage, yanked out our J&M, Hogtunes, RF speakers, RF amps, etc.......sold it off to some poor unsuspecting guy, going through the same process, and in denial. Even after telling people that speaker upgrades or cheap 75 watt per channel amps weren't enough, I had no problem getting rid of my old gear.

Happy to share the path we stumbled down, in hope of saving others from waisting their hard earned cash along the way, in the chase of good tunes.
what I have learnt......
You can just barely get by with 125 watts per channel, and a decent set of speakers.
But realistically you are better off with more watts.
Fairing speakers work great with 150 watts per channel.
Lowers need 175 watts per channel, and good efficient speakers.
Tour packs need 150-175 watts per channel.
Speaker lids need a lot of power....all I know is, once I got the fairing, and lowers sounding great, 300 watts per channel wasn't enough for speaker lids.
I have tried 11 different speakers, and 9 different amps so far.
My 05 Ultra has Mmats coax in the fairing, DB Moto G2's in the lowers, a Soundstream SS PN 4.1000d, a set of DB Moto in the lids, a Stinger SPX 700, and a Dayton DSP.
​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesman280:
Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022), sox_giantsfan (03-11-2023)
Old 10-10-2022, 10:07 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 577 Posts

A set of Mmats and a cheap amp is not much more than the crappy RF speakers. As stated the RF stuff is to much $$ for such low quality. The links below is a very good budget system that you will hear at 80 MPH even with loud pipes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12554142574...IaApdKEALw_wcB
https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/pa801-4cx/

Purplhrt91 (10-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:52 AM
Renegade 18/19
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 CVO Street Glide has factory amp in batwing for my front upper speakers anyway I can add a aftermarket amp and speakers to the factory HD boom Headunit for my saddle bags currently have no speakers in my lids brought the bike like that pervious owner said someone had stolen the saddle bags with the rear factory speakers and amp he replaced the bags and they have the screens on the lids for speakers but sadly no speakers so when it rains my bags turn into fish bowls with all water. At the same time would also like change my front fairing speakers with some better aftermarket market speakers unfortunately don't have the money right now to just get a whole new aftermarket market system so hopefully there's a way to add a second amp too the factory Headunit and aftermarket front speakers to the factory amp as well. I don't want to hack up my wire harness so any plug and play aftermarket add on would be a God sent 🙏 what I hear its properly impossible just thought I ask if I can't is there any harness I can get so I take out the factory HU and amp Then install my own

Quick Reply: Speakers