Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mother Road Customs tractor seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:33 AM
Guzzer
Tourer
Received 685 Likes on 225 Posts
Default Mother Road Customs tractor seat

Have been very happy with my Mustang wide Day Tripper saddle over the last three years on my Softail, however I love the look of the springer tractor seats and have always wanted to try one . Mother Road Customs was running a 10% off deal and I ordered their seat and install kit , $577.0 all in and saved about $60.00 with the discount . All leather seat with steel hardware all American made . Compared to the Harley tractor seat which is made in Mexico with a vinyl seat covering and a cheap pan and stables holding it all together, about the same price as the Mother Road Custom seat .My only concern is I am only 5"7 , however being 250 lbs I think I should get some spring compression and should not sit to much higher ? I will post some pics in a few days of the final install . Thanks

Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,732 Likes on 2,005 Posts

I have the Harley-Davidson tractor seat on my '19 Heritage, and I can assure you that it IS leather (the "skirt" is neoprene rubber, as it has been since the 1950's). I have no issues with its quality at all after two years and 18,000 miles.

For the record, I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and, although the sprung tractor seat sits a good two inches higher than stock, I find I can still flat foot the bike easily. this is because the nose of the saddle is so much narrower than whatever seat you're used to so your legs can go straight down to the ground.

If you are running a windshield, you can expect to need a taller windshield to get the same wind protection you have now.

My only complaint is that I wish I could move the seat about an inch further forward, but the mounting hardware won't allow it. Even so, it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used on a motorcycle.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 08-22-2022 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oldbie (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:34 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,941 Likes on 4,697 Posts

I ran the Tractor seat on my Cross Bones for years, nearly 40k miles on that seat over the years. Still have the seat and the bike, but I'm running a different seat now. The pan is steel, the cover is leather, and it's held on my a nylon strap around the bottom with rivets. Not sure where you got the info about the HD tractor seats, but what you posted was inaccurate. That said, it's an extremely comfortable seat. Because it is leather, be sure to condition the leather and get some good saddle soap so you can clean it then condition it when you give the bike a wash.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (08-22-2022)
Old 12-19-2023, 07:06 AM
richardchapman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that it's all-American made and leather sounds like a solid choice, especially with that discount. Your detailed comparison with the Harley seat is super helpful for folks considering the switch. I hear you on the height concern at 5'7", but with your weight, the spring compression should provide the right balance. Looking forward to those install pics—seeing it in action will be awesome. If you ever find yourself in need of more gear or accessories, www.machinerydealer.co.uk is worth checking out. They've got a diverse selection.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:07 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 471 Likes on 239 Posts

Can you post a picture,
I have had a tractor seat on mine for years very comfortable

Old 07-10-2024, 08:23 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I have the Harley-Davidson tractor seat on my '19 Heritage, and I can assure you that it IS leather (the "skirt" is neoprene rubber, as it has been since the 1950's). I have no issues with its quality at all after two years and 18,000 miles.

For the record, I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and, although the sprung tractor seat sits a good two inches higher than stock, I find I can still flat foot the bike easily. this is because the nose of the saddle is so much narrower than whatever seat you're used to so your legs can go straight down to the ground.

If you are running a windshield, you can expect to need a taller windshield to get the same wind protection you have now.

My only complaint is that I wish I could move the seat about an inch further forward, but the mounting hardware won't allow it. Even so, it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used on a motorcycle.
does anyone know the manufacturer and model number of this seat and hardware?

Old 07-11-2024, 07:57 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,582 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
does anyone know the manufacturer and model number of this seat and hardware?
Uncle G is a regular on the forum. You could PM him and ask.