Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was a security system standard ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 11:52 AM
danielzink
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Was a security system standard ?

Sorry for what may seem to be a silly question...but..

I picked up this 2002 Softail at the end of last year and got a "key" for it (where the ignition switch vover flips over) but no fob.

When I turn it on - the red security system "key" lights up.

I've hooked anduonhooked the battery several times with no ill effects.

After downloading and reading the 02 owners manual it makes mention of the security system.

So..I'm just wondering if there's a system on it - and if so where would I look for it.

Thanks, Dan

Old 07-19-2021, 09:14 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Security systems were optional back then. If you had one it would have a fob with a push button on it for that year. If your really concerned then look at the part number on the TSSM and cross reference that with the standard one for that year and that will let you know right away if you have an alarm installed or not. I had an alarm on my 07 CVO Springer I bought but they had turned it off at the dealer and the battery for the alarm was dead and needed to be replaced. Ended up having to buy a new fob and have the battery changed and the system turned on by the dealership.

Old Today, 04:55 PM
Parentech
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I don’t think that’s a silly question at all. I picked up a used bike a few years back, and it had the same situation where I wasn’t sure if the security system was actually installed or just wired for it. I had the key but no fob. The red light made me think something was up, so I checked under the seat and near the ignition wiring and found a small control box for the system.