Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

O-Ring and Clip

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 PM
sh1bby69
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O-Ring and Clip

Hey everyone! I'm helping my dad out with his 1998 Ultra Classic Electra Glide trike. It was leaking fuel and we needed to replace the O-Ring and clip. We've misplaced the original pieces. Can you point us to a part number and or a website to purchase it. Please see the photo below.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,090 Likes on 7,378 Posts

Go here: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

Put in your VIN and select vehicle document, then parts catalogs select the parts catalog for your bike.

Alternatively, you can call the parts department of your nearest Harley Davidson Dealer and they will assist you.

The following users liked this post:
t150vej (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts
Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 840 Likes on 633 Posts

You state that bike is a 1998 Ultra Classic Electra Glide trike.
That is a
Magneti Marelli fuel injected motorcycle.
The M & M fuel injection of that year required two fuel lines.
The original factory fuel lines are rubber and black.
Yours are chrome and mesh.
The alternative to factory is what you probably have which are Goodridge brand item HDFL005.
I am very familiar with the lines but not replacement o-ring part numbers.
Take a look at google images for HDFL005 to confirm if that is what you have on bike.
BUT if you type "Goodridge Fuel Line Rebuild Kit HDFL5-KIT" on ebay the replacement kit of 0-rings and clips is about $10 USA dollars delivered.
If you are in a rush then a trip to Harbor freight for a plastic box of 180 Viton o-rings should get you going for about $10 too.

The following 2 users liked this post by im:
sh1bby69 (05-29-2020), TheRiddler (08-16-2021)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:31 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

And here is a copy paste that he should print and keep in saddle bag regarding common stuff for that era of bike.
It will save him some headaches.1-COMMON...Two fuel hoses under tank leak after 10 years. Harley $$$$$$$, Goodridge HDFL005 under $160 USA dollars or LESS total for BOTH if you check google .

The Goodridge lines are less than half the price of the Harley parts and are of good quality.

2-COMMON..speedometer LCD (odometer screen bleed) FOR ROAD KING. requires replacement when unable to read miles ridden. NOT PLUG AND PLAY LIKE NEWER ONES. You can get a sub-harness wire assembly from J & P cycle catalog and then use a 1999 speedometer plug and play speedometer.Easy changeover with no splicing of wires required. Old speedometer is a different manufacturer from the newer ones. Note that mileage is stored in speedometer itself not in ECM.Some folks send old speedometer out to specialty shops in order to change-out the LCD.

3-COMMON..Cam position sensor...very difficult starting, lots of cranking but does not catch. A lot of cranking and no start then you wait a second and a quick tap to start button and it starts with very little cranking…look for visible goo (beige) leak under timer cone (right foot) at black wire exit from bottom of cone…You will have plenty of warning…dozens and dozens of difficult starts.
4-CRANK position sensor by oil filter (RARE) but if you use a power commander the signal must be 100%..This is very rare.
5-(MEDIUM COMMON)Tank liner releases at middle section near fuel pump..blocks flow of fuel..loss of power, slow down and piece moves from fuel inlet so bike is OK but then becomes trapped again so cycle repeats.. FREE REPAIR..open gas tank access lid, drain fuel and clean piece out..I would carry the little bit required to remove screw..The book says you need to replace the one time use screws but if you are careful and replace in the same location it will be re-usable at least one time..
6- VERY COMMON...ENGINE TEMPERATURE SENSOR...very common, general rough riding as bike bucks from cold to hot rapidly..$100 part…As an emergency by-pass just disconnect the idle control behind air filter when bike is off/at rest..You will need to hold throttle.

7- Bikes that are pressure washed or in snow conditions with salt roads or people that added a power commander and destroyed the rubber boot at ECM..GROUNDING PIN ON ECM becomes corroded and requires cleaning.
8-The little chrome cover cap thing with the allen bolt on the starter end will get loose one time and you will chase the rattle a long time until you figure out that under the cover is two 0.15 cent nuts and one is lost.
***-The shift linkage ends SUCK on all harleys and you need to change those yesterday to heim joints look on ebay if on a budget for: Heim Joint Rod End 5/16" with bolts for Harley Davidson as they should be about $10-$15 delivered for both.
****VERY IMPORTANT...THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR USES AN INSERT TWIST AND LOCK CONNECTION. MAKE 100% sure it is tight, zip tied and secure and then tie it one more time.. Located at throttle side of frame behind the PAINTED plastic side cover by seat (remove cover) and hidden by the triangle portion of frame..connector is black and about 2 or 3 inches long and the thickness of a fat pencil.
That thing had me scratching my head for a long time trying to chase an intermittant cut-off over bumps. Side of the road frustration thing..Many shops are unable to identify the simple problem while others waste your money by replacing it when it was only loose.

THE PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE for this bike with the exception of the gas tank from either the dealer or aftermarket.

I would imagine you have the service book or will get the service book for this bike from Harley for 99483-98 . Finally get the book read chapter 9. You can review check engine codes with no tools by following a simple sequence.

I would review the fuel lines. If you do NOT have the goodridge lines HDFL005 then I would consider carrying some in your saddle bag. Rarely does a dealer stock the Harley ones.

Additional notes:

Consider using regular Dyno oil as the synthetics are too good at locating leaks.

Check the allen bolt at the transmission shift lever. The shift lever that attaches to the transmission spline/shaft. People forget to check that allen/hex bolt and then the splines on the lever get chewed.

Shaft is harder than lever so the lever will strip. Major labor to remove the outer primary, inner primary, and clutch hub just to replace the lever on that year of bike just because someone did not inspect that allen/hex bolt.

The throttle PULL cable might eventually give-up the throttle cable end ball. My cable had a few strands broken off at the little ball inside throttle clamp. It eventually snapped while on a road trip. Required switching return for pull cable in a parking lot. I would review and consider changing Throttle, Brake and Clutch cable if they are original.

There is a bracket 65619-98 called something like exhaust bracket tab located right at top of starter. Supports rear cylinder exhaust pipe right at starter. It sometimes breaks after 20 years right at the “L”..right at the clamp . Most people fail to look at it until further more costly problems develop instead of addressing the under $10 USA dollar part and saving future headaches and cost..

That bike era does not due well with rear swingarm lowering blocks. Check for and consider removal of rear lowering blocks if someone used them. They increase probability of rear swing arm crack since they alter shock angle. Blocks change in shock position at bottom and that appears to stress swingarm in my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by im:
gleam (05-30-2020), sh1bby69 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:31 PM
sh1bby69
Stage III

This is exactly what we needed! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by im
You state that bike is a 1998 Ultra Classic Electra Glide trike.
That is a
Magneti Marelli fuel injected motorcycle.
The M & M fuel injection of that year required two fuel lines.
The original factory fuel lines are rubber and black.
Yours are chrome and mesh.
The alternative to factory is what you probably have which are Goodridge brand item HDFL005.
I am very familiar with the lines but not replacement o-ring part numbers.
Take a look at google images for HDFL005 to confirm if that is what you have on bike.
BUT if you type "Goodridge Fuel Line Rebuild Kit HDFL5-KIT" on ebay the replacement kit of 0-rings and clips is about $10 USA dollars delivered.
If you are in a rush then a trip to Harbor freight for a plastic box of 180 Viton o-rings should get you going for about $10 too.

Last edited by sh1bby69; 05-29-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:43 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad to help.

Old 07-11-2024, 06:17 PM
chuckles1856
Novice

Thanks for the original post and comments on this as it helped troubleshoot my 1999 FLHCTUI Ultra Classic with Goodridge replacement lines.

Just thought I'd supply some measurements of the replacement o-rings that came in the Goodridge Fuel Line Rebuild Kit HDFL5-KIT :

od - outside diameter
id - inside diameter
cs - thickness

Large: 12mm id / 16mm od / 2mm cs
Small: 8mm id / 12mm od / 2mm cs
snap ring: 10mm id

The following users liked this post:
im (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:51 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member