Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the speed right in traffic .

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,116 Likes on 630 Posts
Default Can't get the speed right in traffic .

Does anyone else feel this way about their Sportster ? I love my bike , it accelerates well , it slows down well and it gets down the road in a most pleasing fashion . On the open road I can ride all day long with a stupid grin on my face . BUT there is one thing that my bike just won't do and that's to exactly match and maintain the speed of another vehicle . If I'm stuck in moving traffic or behind a car on a narrow road , my bike just doesn't seem to know whether it's speeding up or slowing down . I try experimenting with different gears but in the end I find myself slipping the clutch in order to perfectly match the speed of the vehicle in front . How you guys manage to ride in groups is a mystery to me . Years ago I rode a couple of TL 1000's and it was exactly the same . I could accelerate like a rocket and stand the thing on its nose but try to behave myself in traffic and it was all over the place . So is this just a big V Twin thing or is there anything I can do to fine tune my bike ? I've got a carb version ( XL 1200 R ) which allegedly has a " Thunder Slide " in it . Any views most welcome .

Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I ride in Washington DC traffic almost every day. Have no problem matching other vehicle speeds.

It's all what you practice.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I used to get that "too high for 2nd, too low for 3rd" chugging feel but it turned out to be my chain was just shot. With new, top quality X ring chain, all is smooth. I do agree that traffic speeds and gearing match is not perfect, at least on my 883. With more torque (1200) I can see it being a bit annoying.

When's the last time you replaced your manifold seals and rebuilt your carb? Freshening up the accelerator diaphragm and making sure all is nice and tight might help. Maybe the throttle response with the Thunderslide is not that good? I have a Dynojet carb kit, but have no complaints, worked fine for 29 years so far. Not familiar with the Thunderslide, isn't it a Dynojet product? I'm not even sure I can buy that stuff here in California anymore. I had a heck of a time getting a new mainjet from Dynojet in Nevada due to CARB rules.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 10-07-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I find myself in first and second gear far more often than I'd like to match town traffic, have to keep the rpm higher than if I was by myself. I never had that problem with a metric and their lower gear ratios, but if I rode my sportster like I do without traffic, I'd have the same problem you do, those sportsters are geared really tall. So are the big twins, but they handle low rpm better. It's either slip or spin, lot of clutch work or higher rpm to keep it smooth. If you're getting into lugging territory and needing to slip the clutch for it, your drivetrain is getting more stress than if you just ran higher rpm in a lower gear to start with.

The following users liked this post:
Midpegs (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 574 Posts

Sounds like you have no idea on how to ride a bike to me. Is this a troll post? Seriously?!?

The following 3 users liked this post by Madnss:
apache snow (10-08-2019), modular (10-08-2019), perki48 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 406 Likes on 327 Posts

If you need to slip the clutch, you actually need to downshift.

The following 2 users liked this post by bad tappets:
Imold (10-07-2019), JimmyL (10-10-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Madnss
Sounds like you have no idea on how to ride a bike to me. Is this a troll post? Seriously?!?
No it is not . I have ridden bikes for Forty years but I have only ridden a Harley Davidson V Twin for the last six months . How dare you make such a nasty and ridiculous suggestion . I have made a similar post on a leading UK Sportster dedicated FB page and I have received a unanimous chorus of agreement from fellow riders .Perhaps your passion for Drag Racing has caused you to forget what it is like to ride in slow traffic. So, if you have nothing constructive to add to this discussion you would be well advised not to contribute . Troll indeed ! that's just bad manners .

Last edited by Midpegs; 10-07-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Midpegs
No it is not . I have ridden bikes for Forty years but I have only ridden a Harley Davidson V Twin for the last six months . How dare you make such a nasty and ridiculous suggestion . I have made a similar post on a leading UK Sportster dedicated FB page and I have received a unanimous chorus of agreement from fellow riders .Perhaps your passion for Drag Racing has caused you to forget what it is like to ride in slow traffic. So, if you have nothing constructive to add to this discussion you would be well advised not to contribute . Troll indeed ! that's just bad manners .
It wasn't nasty or ridiculous, just blunt; That is something you'll tend to find in bikers here in the US. And I'll admit I sorta thought the same thing based upon your clutch slipping remark. If you have to slip the clutch to maintain some desired speed you're just screwing up your clutch. In no circumstance should you slip the clutch as part of normal riding, except the normal taking off routine, and perhaps in some rare circumstance.

Having said that - is it possible your throttle cables are set up so tightly that they cause the throttle plate to move excessively under normal riding conditions? There should be at least a very small bit of play or it seems like every heart beat causes the throttle to move.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,035 Likes on 17,520 Posts

Hate to break it to you but it isn't the bike and I'm pretty sure you already know that.

We're not trying to mean here please understand that and doesn't matter how long you've been riding it's apparent you aren't comfortable on it yet.

Figure out why.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 10-07-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick Reply: Can't get the speed right in traffic .