Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best liquid cooled heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Bam Bam!
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best liquid cooled heads?

I have a 16 road Glide ultra with an H-D 110 drop in kit (factory heads, throttle body and injectors and 585 cam). Just had her dynoed and pulling 101 hp & 127 ft/lbs torque.

Considering upgrading the throttle body, injectors and heads and I'm curious what options might be available out there for ported heads. I know having the liquid-cooled heads substantially reduces available options and wanted to see what you guys might be running to improve performance.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I chose the Harley Screamin' Eagle CNC Heads. Part Number 16500208 when I went with the 110" Bolt-On Kit. I'm also running: an Andrews 57H Camshaft, 0.030" Cometic Head Gaskets, an S&S Air Filter (P/N 106-2091), Harley Street Cannon Slip-on Mufflers and using the TTS Mastertune software (which I've used in the past and like).

I'm quite pleased with the results. No Dyno Sheet, but even with an upgraded Clutch Spring (Harley P/N 37951-98) I do have to exercise good judgement or I'll be needing to purchase another clutch in fairly short order.

As for the heads . . . I chose the S.E. Heads for three reasons: 1.) I wanted to keep my original heads (just in case). 2.) Sending my original heads out for an independant shop to work their magic would have generated a down time that I didn't care to work with. 3.) Given reasons #1 and #2 the pricing of the Harley Heads was "relatively" attractive. I paid $815 for mine via one of the popular on-line Harley Dealers.

I did hand polish the combustion chambers. See attached before and after pictures. For fluid dynamics reasons I left the intake and exhaust tracts pretty much as the CNC machining process left them.

The following users liked this post:
HARDWAY90 (11-16-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Bam Bam!
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I chose the Harley Screamin' Eagle CNC Heads. Part Number 16500208 when I went with the 110" Bolt-On Kit. I'm also running: an Andrews 57H Camshaft, 0.030" Cometic Head Gaskets, an S&S Air Filter (P/N 106-2091), Harley Street Cannon Slip-on Mufflers and using the TTS Mastertune software (which I've used in the past and like).

I'm quite pleased with the results. No Dyno Sheet, but even with an upgraded Clutch Spring (Harley P/N 37951-98) I do have to exercise good judgement or I'll be needing to purchase another clutch in fairly short order.

As for the heads . . . I chose the S.E. Heads for three reasons: 1.) I wanted to keep my original heads (just in case). 2.) Sending my original heads out for an independant shop to work their magic would have generated a down time that I didn't care to work with. 3.) Given reasons #1 and #2 the pricing of the Harley Heads was "relatively" attractive. I paid $815 for mine via one of the popular on-line Harley Dealers.

I did hand polish the combustion chambers. See attached before and after pictures. For fluid dynamics reasons I left the intake and exhaust tracts pretty much as the CNC machining process left them.
Looks GREAT!!! I would guess that you are probably pulling between 110 and 120 horsepower. Nice work!

Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I should get my bike off the dyno later today.

I have a fuelmoto 110 kit, .045 cometic gasket, and Woods 999-6 cams. With the CC of the chambers, that gasket and the -1.5cc dished pistons, it put my static compression right about 11:1. My heads CC'd to 79.6 and 79.8 CC in the chambers. Just something to help anyone in the future.

I also went with fuelmoto port work, and I was happy seeing the port design and how they unshrouded the valve guide.

I think their price for the work is a good value. I've also handled a set of zippers twin cooled twin cam heads and was able to compare them directly. The heads took two completely different approaches. The zippers heads had more work done on the back side of the valve, in the throat. The floor, while opened up, was left relatively flat and broad. The fuelmoto heads had more attention applied to the guide, and the even shaped in a sort of blade edge leading to the guide; but they did not do as much work deep into the throat.

I was able to buy a spare set of twin cooled heads for very cheap and had them sent off. My down time was limited to 4 days.

Old Today, 04:00 PM
Chrisheads4u
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port those heads

Originally Posted by Bam Bam!
I have a 16 road Glide ultra with an H-D 110 drop in kit (factory heads, throttle body and injectors and 585 cam). Just had her dynoed and pulling 101 hp & 127 ft/lbs torque.

Considering upgrading the throttle body, injectors and heads and I'm curious what options might be available out there for ported heads. I know having the liquid-cooled heads substantially reduces available options and wanted to see what you guys might be running to improve performance.
up to 7 hp gain on a v twin with ported heads 55 years of experience AFR heads in 1969 to 1999

Old Today, 04:03 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,218 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisheads4u
up to 7 hp gain on a v twin with ported heads 55 years of experience AFR heads in 1969 to 1999
He has not logged in for 5 years. Hoping he figured it out, already