Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96-13 Fairing Swap to 14-17 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017 | 06:58 PM
Exsomos
|
Advanced
Default 96-13 Fairing Swap to 14-17 Street Glide

Forgive me if this has been asked before, i didn't see any threads about this.

Is it possible to swap the inner faring from a 96-13? I have a 2013, so lets say 2013 fairing for this hypothetical swap, to the rushmore 14-17 style inner fairing?

Or can you, or would you, have to swap the inner and outer fairing?

Or are the gauges the wring size as well????, can you "install" rushmore gauges to a 2013 bikes electrical? would they "talk" the bikes system?

Im pretty sure it wouldnt work, but wasn't completely for sure it wouldn't work.

I assume that that the inner fairing isn't the same "shape", then if you did the inner and outer fairing, then the potential issue of the gauges not fitting, then the potential issue of gauges not working if swapped....

Any one try that? Im sure i can't be the first one to think of it. lol

I have 2014-17 style stretched bags (liked the one touch system much better), 2015 style air cleaner (me knee hit the football style), and want to do a 2014-17 style front tire (cuz i like the look). Im unintentionally turning my 2013 into a rushmore style.

And please no comments like "just sell it and get a rushmore"... wish i could.

The following users liked this post:
DetroitGuy (04-02-2021)
Old 08-04-2017 | 07:04 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

..... anything can be done, with an appropriate application of cash
........ that said, i'm thinking that pretty much everything is different on a Rushmore

The following 4 users liked this post by groupw:
62hdbiker (02-03-2022), Jaftica (07-27-2020), lionsm13 (07-15-2023), Tenn (07-07-2023)
Old 08-04-2017 | 07:38 PM
Exsomos
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by groupw
..... anything can be done, with an appropriate application of cash
........ that said, i'm thinking that pretty much everything is different on a Rushmore
The more I thought about it, the more I thought about what wouldn't work. Lol

Old 08-04-2017 | 08:46 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Why would you want to anyway? Is there something specific you want to accomplish?

Old 08-04-2017 | 11:15 PM
Exsomos
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Why would you want to anyway? Is there something specific you want to accomplish?
I like it better, and be able to have double din, and that pocket door and other visually pleasing things.

But also, very curious just plainly to know if it can be done.

Old 08-05-2017 | 03:25 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master

I'm working on doing a 17 to 17 swap from street glide to road glide. Even that is hard to get all the part. You will need all the new mounts internals and all fairings. Your gauges should actually be the same size (I haven't measured) Your gauges won't work and the wiring harness in a 14-17 isn't backwards compatible with a 13. The Rushmore bikes have a can-bus system which is totally different from the earlier bikes. Could someone make it work? Possible. I'd find a friend that has a Rushmore and measure the gauges and headlight to see if there the same size. If so those items should swap over, then you would just need all the hardware as mentioned.

Mongo1958 (Yesterday)
Old 08-05-2017 | 07:13 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Exsomos
I like it better, and be able to have double din, and that pocket door and other visually pleasing things.

But also, very curious just plainly to know if it can be done.
I'm sure it could be done if the desire is strong enough and your pockets are deep enough.
The Rushmore was a huge change in the bikes, not just in styling but in the level of electronics and how they control the bike.
I think that, at a minimum, you're looking at a completely different mounting system, reviewing all the plugs in the faring and possibly even a Rushmore ECM depending if you want to keep the infotainment system. I really think the instrument fitment question will be the least of your problems.
Another thing to consider is what such a mod is going to do to the resale value of your bike. Personally I wouldn't give you 10 cents on the dollar for one so heavily modified. It would be a nightmare to work on.
I know you said you didn't want this response but... It really would be better on several front's to find a garage queen Rushmore than to try to reinvent one.

Darrin Bennett (09-19-2020)
Old 08-05-2017 | 07:38 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

I did a batwing conversion on a 2010 VTX it looked very nice when i was done. But it handled very poorly the wind buffering was bad tried different shields. You may go threw some on the same aerodynamic problems i had. Ended up trading the VTX for my current Harley

Old 08-05-2017 | 09:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

This is one of those custom jobs that if you have to ask you are not likely to be able to do it! Occasionally someone comes along and does something that takes the breath away and also makes it look easy. It needs special people with a wide range of skills and equipment to do that - such as converting electronic instruments backwards from Canbus!

talkingrock (07-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2017 | 10:45 PM
Exsomos
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
This is one of those custom jobs that if you have to ask you are not likely to be able to do it! Occasionally someone comes along and does something that takes the breath away and also makes it look easy. It needs special people with a wide range of skills and equipment to do that - such as converting electronic instruments backwards from Canbus!
I research before I dive in. Haven't had anything I couldn't tackle yet. I enjoy working on my bike. I'm a hands on kinda guy. That's how I was thought, and how I teach my kids.

Only thing I pay for is tire installation. lol I hate doing those.

I agree. This sounds like something that someone with very diliberate intention and serious cash and time would accomplish. That is not me. Not this mod.

Again, all just a thought and curiosity.

Last edited by Exsomos; 08-05-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Ultar Rich (06-19-2020)

Quick Reply: 96-13 Fairing Swap to 14-17 Street Glide