Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

street glide shock on a sportster

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:31 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I hope I am too, for your having a better ride.

But the SG is a heavier bike than the Sporty. The reason the air shocks of the heavier touring bikes work on Sportsters is because you can run them with very little air, which in effect is adjusting the pre-load for a lighter bike.

Not sure the coil over can be adjusted for a lighter bike...the pre-load, to a great degree is based on the spring rate.

As Imold said, you're in uncharted territory. Looking forward to hearing what the ride is like with these.
i think you can adjust them from 1-8. so should i put them at 1? or 8?

Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by Imold
You're in uncharted waters, this should be interesting. Please let us know how this works out. You may be able to fit the shock with the adjustment **** better on the left side, looks like it would be real close to the oil tank cover on the right side. I'm running RK air shocks on my 1200, and they're a big improvement. I needed spacers for those, but these shocks don't look bigger than the stock ones. If you do use spacers, be sure to use the same amount top and bottom.
damn. this bike has put me in unchartered waters about 5 times already. just means wasted time & money. between brakes, rear brackets...ect...i'll try to put them on wed..

Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

so, after spending hours online tonight i haven't found anyone who's done this exact switch yet.
looks like once again, i'm the guinea pig...i have a feeling i'm going to get pissed off wed lol

Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

today's the day....
i've seen stock 2017 premium ride emulsion 883 shocks and progressive series 412 shocks fairly cheap. are they any better for the 48? in case the street glide shocks don't work out?

Last edited by scottylonebull; 05-02-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
i think you can adjust them from 1-8. so should i put them at 1? or 8?
I would start out trying them on the least pre-load.

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
today's the day....
i've seen stock 2017 premium ride emulsion 883 shocks and progressive series 412 shocks fairly cheap. are they any better for the 48? in case the street glide shocks don't work out?
The touring air shocks will bolt right up and will give a better ride than the two you mentioned above. You can get them used off ebay for around $100.

Check out this REPORT on rear suspension, you may find it useful.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

subscribed

Old 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

ok, so it's done...street glide premium shocks are on. no drama at all. we didn't even curse once. the only problem was i have a side bag on the same side that the adjustable shock goes on, so my buddy just made a spacer for the bag bracket and everything fit fine. and i can even reach the adjuster **** with the bag on. if you don't have a side bag it's just a simple swap.
there was no belt clearance issues so i didn't need any extra spacers. the bike now sits higher, between the mustang seat and the 12" street glide shocks its about 2" higher than stock. i weigh 225 so i set it on lowest setting. the bike does ride stiff but i don't bottom out anymore.
me personally, i don't have that "wow what a difference" in the ride like i did when i put the new seat on last week, or what i've read about with the road king air shocks. to me it's still a sportster ride. and a sportster is a sportster. to be honest, i'm not even sure it was worth putting the street glide shocks on after i put the mustang vintage solo seat on. that seat alone made all the difference in the world.

so in conclusion. i got the shocks for free, and i did the wrenching with a buddy so there was no shop labor fee. if i paid for these i might be a little annoyed. the whole job took all of a half hour. took longer to make the spacer for the side bag than to switch the shocks. in the end, i didn't really feel a comfort difference, just a stiffer ride, and no bottoming out. the SG premium shocks are probably too strong for the sportster...
if i can find some newer 16 and up upgraded sportster shocks i might just put them on to lower the ride back to normal height. like i said before, the seat alone made a huge difference. if your thinking of buying the street glide shocks don't. get the seat first...if you want to do a switch, maybe go with the touring air brakes instead of the street glide premium shocks. i'll have to look them up on ebay and see if i can find a pair cheap.

Last edited by scottylonebull; 05-02-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I would start out trying them on the least pre-load.

The touring air shocks will bolt right up and will give a better ride than the two you mentioned above. You can get them used off ebay for around $100.

Check out this REPORT on rear suspension, you may find it useful.
yes, i have them on the least amount.
i'll look for the touring air shocks or a newer upgraded 16 & up stock sportster shock. like i said, i was fine with the stock 2014 48 shocks and the new seat i put on, but i read so many stories how much better the ride was with the bagger shocks...i'm not a new Harley complainer, i'm used to riding a sportster so the ride situation isn't such a big issue to me with the new seat.
that shock review was very interesting.
thank you for all your advice.

Last edited by scottylonebull; 05-02-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

with the seat and shocks, i sit much higher now. at least 3". after the new 12" shocks today i can tell when putting it on the kickstand. it leans lower now. but it doesn't look taller.

Last edited by scottylonebull; 05-02-2018 at 05:15 PM.