General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on a tow

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:59 PM
BluesCast
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Well isn't that a can of beans. Yeah hopefully a fluke situation. In any case, appreciate the info.

Thought fer sure it was the muffler bearings. :P

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (02-10-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,627 Likes on 2,733 Posts

When bearings come apart bad enough, the inner race can come out leaving the outer race in the wheel bore. There are proper tools and techniques for getting that outer race out, but good chance they just knocked it out with a hammer and punch from the other side, cocked it, and galled the bore. Also could have had the bearing lock up, spinning the outer race in the bore - that can ruin a wheel in a split second, but usually when that happens, the outer race just falls out. Either way, lucky it was in warranty.

Next tire change, I'd recommend ditching those Harley bearings and getting a premium brand like Timkin, or even AllBalls, which have a good rep now. They also have what I want in bearings, a sturdy metal ball cage, premium brand synthetic grease and plenty of it, and plastic seals you can pop off and put back on without damaging them so you can check inside before using them - can't do that with those metal shielded Harley bearings and I will not install a bearing I can't check inside, new ones, too (I've opened some new bearings and thrown them away, replaced the grease in several others). Several forum members have reported, and even posted photos of, their wrecked bearings with little trace of grease; that would be my first suspicion of your failure, not enough grease, plus who knows what kind of grease Harley's Chinese supplier uses.

There are a lot of threads here about wheel bearing failures and what guys are doing to try avoiding any more, just do a search.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,615 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Not sure how fubared the bearing was, it's possible to get it out they had to go about it a not so textbook way. Or maybe the bearing caused some damage. All I know is they called Harley and Harley told them they had to replace the wheel. I'll try to see it in person. Glad the wheels were stock and not powder coated or something.

And yes, God was looking out for me on that freeway. The section I was on is crazy at the best of times.

And I'll be sure to look over the bike when I get it back. At least it isn't 70 degrees and sunny, not really giving up any prime riding time.
I destroyed my rear wheel/brake caliper stay arm/ rotor and pads. All by absolutely FRYING the wheel bearing on the belt side. It was so bad that the ***** literally cut the outside race in half. This happened at 6200 miles. Never in rain or water. Replaced under warranty.
So, when they say, "They all do that." They just might. The tech that did the change told me he's done "quite a few."
2016 FXDL.

I'm of the opinion that HD uses lousy quality wheel bearings in their bikes to save a buck.

I'm also of the opinion that the HD tension spec for the drive belt destroys wheel bearing life.
Wish I could post pics but garage talk isn't allowing me to...

Old 02-09-2018, 01:51 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts
Old 02-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,273 Likes on 6,024 Posts

I had front bearing go out last fall on my '13 FLHX.... I'm buying the bearing puller and will check bearings and replace next tire change. Rear due this summer, so i'll have new bearings in there when I change tire. The tinking sound was a bearing (or part there of) flying out and hitting the bike.... heard that numerous times getting to the dealership! Thank God for this happening less than 2 miles from a dealer. was able to ride there slowly, led by a Virginia State Troop, and made it safe! Shenandoah HD in Virginia.... great people there!!! They took care of me/us and treated us like long time customers!!
Glad you found yours and you didn't have problems!!!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,332 Likes on 5,640 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I'm of the opinion that HD uses lousy quality wheel bearings in their bikes to save a buck.
I work in maintenance and replace bearings on a daily basis...quality bearings are getting hard to find...China has cornered the market...and many of the "good" brand names have outsourced to there.

That being said...ball bearings should have never been used as wheel bearings anyway...they cannot take the side (axial) loading like a tapered needle bearing...like they used to use...tapered needle bearings properly serviced will outlast the bike.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:47 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 217 Likes on 139 Posts

Ok, finally got the bike back, had to wait on a wheel to come in. It's starting to snow so I can't really test anything out, doubt there would be an issue anyways.

New wheel due to damage from the bearing being removed.
New brake rotor due to damage from the bearing falling apart.

My money on the load tink sound is those ball bearings hitting my plate. A couple were missing.

All and all I'm glad it was under warranty. Pretty sure I'm the first to have it go that bad like that lol.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-21-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome

All and all I'm glad it was under warranty. Pretty sure I'm the first to have it go that bad like that lol.
was that a metal metal bearing or the older plasticish sealed one? hard tell from the damage

Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 217 Likes on 139 Posts

Wasn't checking that when I looked at it. The replacement bearings are 9252A ABS WHE and 9276B non-abs on my invoice.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 781 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks like it got a wee bit hot... Something melted there.

Quick Reply: Waiting on a tow