Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FXDG Paint Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 AM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Troy, nice to hear yours is coming along. I never had 2 FXDG’s, one was a 2013 FXDWG which I have sold. I moved where there are more dirt roads than paved roads so I got the KTM. Insane bike btw. You were lucky finding the exhaust. I am still missing the rear header and heat shields. I found 2 rear mufflers, so I will modify one for the front. I got a cam points cover and tank decals off of Bill. They look pretty good. Are your tanks decals closer to the right colour? Can you share a picture? I am talking to a friend of mine who is a jeweller to see if she can make the fender medallion. If not I will have one air brushed right onto the paint. Where did you find the rear wheel? Was it expensive? I saw one on eBay but the guy wanted $1300 for it so I had to pass. Hopefully one will show up one day for a reasonable price. Anyway, later bro.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM
troy montoya
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 380 Posts

Hi shovhd, heir is a picture of the decals from discontinued decals for 30 $ i think they came out pretty good , but you would be a better judge because you can copair them with the originals, let me know your thoughts, the rear wheel i found in California at "elvise'splace.com " for 700$ + 300 shipping to Germany and then 200 for import duties later i found one only 300 on eBay eroupe but was too late to bid on , tank decals from discontinued decals...

Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by troy montoya
the rear wheel i found in California at "elvise'splace.com " for 700$ + 300 shipping to Germany and then 200 for import duties later i found one only 300 on eBay eroupe but was too late to bid on
lol. That’s the exact wheel I passed on, but I sure thought about it a lot. I just can’t justify it and with my luck another would come up for $300 right after I bought it. Btw, those stickers from Grinder Bill aren’t original. They look good too. He’s a helluva nice guy.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:11 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

hi shovhd did you ever get a reply from mrlexus on the new paint code from PPG ? i tried to contact colormaniapaint.com to ask about the old paint codes but received no reply, maybe you know of a way to contact PPG directly to ask about the new code ?

Last edited by troy montoya; 02-18-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by troy montoya
hi shovhd did you ever get a reply from mrlexus on the new paint code from PPG ? i tried to contact colormaniapaint.com to ask about the old paint codes but received no reply, maybe you know of a way to contact PPG directly to ask about the new code ?
Hey Troy, I never truly got a response. Mr Lexus said the paint shop wouldn’t tell the code due to proprietary secret? Anyway, I have an original survivor rear pulley that had a chrome cover on it. The original paint has never been exposed to sun or anything. I will try to find someone to match it before I commit to a full paint job.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

We tried to match off of original pieces, but the gun wouldn’t give a code, and with both gold and silver pearl, it’s a bitch to match. PPG made the paint in their lab, specifically for us using the original can of lacquer paint that I had, so the code is proprietary to my paint guy. I have no doubt he would sell you some if I ok it. We used Chromabase, so you’d need to be able to shoot water based base coats. I’ll share what I can, but the devil is in the details. Try getting a paint code or spray out from John Pierce, (paint supplier for lots of old colors) he’ll tell you you either buy the paint from him or good luck. I’m not in the paint business, but I don’t really want to just throw out all the hard work, time, and what cost me a pretty penny, to the general public either.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mrlexus
We tried to match off of original pieces, but the gun wouldn’t give a code, and with both gold and silver pearl, it’s a bitch to match. PPG made the paint in their lab, specifically for us using the original can of lacquer paint that I had, so the code is proprietary to my paint guy. I have no doubt he would sell you some if I ok it. We used Chromabase, so you’d need to be able to shoot water based base coats. I’ll share what I can, but the devil is in the details. Try getting a paint code or spray out from John Pierce, (paint supplier for lots of old colors) he’ll tell you you either buy the paint from him or good luck. I’m not in the paint business, but I don’t really want to just throw out all the hard work, time, and what cost me a pretty penny, to the general public either.
Not a problem Lex. I wasn’t judging, just explaining to Troy what I understood to be the case. I have no problem buying the paint off of your guy if that option is available. If not I’ll find someone here to eyeball a match for me. We all appreciate what you’ve done for us so far. ✌🏻

Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
Not a problem Lex. I wasn’t judging, just explaining to Troy what I understood to be the case. I have no problem buying the paint off of your guy if that option is available. If not I’ll find someone here to eyeball a match for me. We all appreciate what you’ve done for us so far. ✌🏻
I’ll call him today.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Mr Lexus , just wanted to say thanks for sharing what you feel you can , i understand completely your decision to not just "throw out" your hard work and all that was involved in getting the right Paint for your FXDG . when i decided to do a replica / tribute i did not realize all that it was and is going to take to get it done, but thats all the more fun & satisfying as my project progresses. and like shovhd has said, we all really appreciate what you've done for us so far !!!

Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

wow shovhd from the pictures you posted Your FXDG was in real need of a restoration, can you post a picture of the bike before you started ? heirs a shot of mine before i started , it was a complete bike that i road for a good 12 years, i got it with close to 30k kilometers on it and i put an additional 50k on it until i started this project in the fall of 2010, i restored a 65 pan electra glide and a 1980 flamed wide glide in between , so its just ben the last year that I've working on getting her done My 1983 FXWG before i started this FXDG tribute Build

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Paint Code