Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mohawk windscreen on my wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 PM
RoyP
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default mohawk windscreen on my wide glide

national cycles mohawk windscreen. I couldn't find much info about it but I liked the looks of it and took a shot. looks great, blocks the wind on my chest which is all I was looking for. It's easily adjustable.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:01 PM
RoyP
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 07-31-2017, 05:18 AM
Vec
Road Master

Received 506 Likes on 288 Posts

looks great!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 PM
BigTrev78
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I registered because I was looking at this windshield and your picture came up in a google search.

Which model did you get? The part# as it were... I've found mixed info between the curved or straight hardware, and how it applies to my 2010 wide glide.

Also, now that you've had it a few months, how do you like it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 AM
BigTrev78
Stage IV

Ok, been over a week without a reply... I went ahead and bought it, installed it. I'll post my thoughts after I take a ride.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:27 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,016 Posts

I run the hd detachable and the little fork bag as a wind blocker in early spring and late fall. Easy on easy off.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Once the windshield is adjusted right to control wind to head buffering it is a beautiful thing. Once it warms up it goes back in the box. Wide glides look better without imo.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM
BigTrev78
Stage IV

I agree with you about the looks, which is why I didn't want to get a full shield. I'm not one for on/off.

I have my initial review of the Mohawk, but I need to work on clarity and being concise. Update later.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 PM
BigTrev78
Stage IV

My review on the Mohawk (long):

It was easy enough to install with one person, though a second person would be recommended (one to hold the shield or clamps while the other tightens/adjusts). It comes with a gasket material so the clamps can tighten to the forks well and not scratch them. Adjustment, however can be a major a pain in the ***.

1) There are 2 bolts on each arm to adjust for forks that are wider or narrower. This is best set when you have the shield off. For the Wide Glide, I went all the way wide.

2) There is one bolt that tightens/loosens the clamps, and allows you to adjust the lower angle of the arms… which means that if you want to adjust the angle of the shield, you might move the clamps, and if you want to move the clamps, you’re going to lose the angle. It's a good design IDEA, though the implementation isn't great. The only way around that would be to have a bolt for the clamps and a bolt for the arms, but then you have to deal with additional parts and lose some of the simplicity of it.

3) Adjusting the angle at the top of the arm is easy enough, though you have to be careful and tighten each side little by little to avoid torqueing the shield one way or another. This is another time when 2 people would be a good idea- one to support, the other to tighten.

I set where I thought it would be ok and took a ride. Even at 45mph, my head had buffeting and had A LOT of wind noise. So I stopped and adjusted the lean angle to be more upwards and got back on the road. It was better, but not by much. I hit the highway to test and got a headache from all the wind hitting me in the head. When I got home, I adjusted the clamps up a little more and the lean angle forward as much as I could while keeping the shield above and off the headlamp. I will find out what impact that had when I ride to work tomorrow.

I’m tall and heavyset (with a plump butt), so that doesn’t help when it comes to getting air over me on a shorter shield. My torso was fine, which is what I wanted, but the trade-off of loud wind noise and a headache isn’t worth it. I still have plenty of vertical movement with the clamps, so I still have adjustability to find the sweet spot. I’m sure it’s going to take some repeated rides (the shame!) to hopefully get it right for me. The only other options I have are to remove it (not keen on that idea just yet) or get a new seat that puts me lower and further back with the hopes it's enough. I'll update more as I test.

The following users liked this post:
tunafisher729 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

When I first put the windshield on I did not like it. At 6ft tall I had a lot of head buffering. Almost blew my glasses off. Line of site was also a problem. I had it cut down an inch. Now I see just over the top of it. The buffering was air coming from underneath so with some readjusting and the fork bag and just some plain getting use to, it is excellent for the colder season’s. I think wind management is a little more challenging on the wide glide because of the rake. With the quick disconnect it takes no time to remove. Some say windshields are for shorter guys.

The following users liked this post:
BigTrev78 (02-14-2018)