Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one with a Lucky Daves seat (vs stock)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 AM
JuanderBoy
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I made this quick comparison video between the Lucky Daves and the stock seats.
I think it'll make things more clear about positioning. Hope it helps.

The following 5 users liked this post by JuanderBoy:
CaptainAwesome (02-06-2018), Chicago Ken (09-05-2018), Dispatch (12-06-2018), najimoto (02-15-2018), rauchman (09-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Very nicely done! Shows the difference better than anything I've come across. Nice to see something real world rather than just written.

Also glad it showed me what I wanted to see because mine is due in later today

Old 02-06-2018, 01:45 PM
JuanderBoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Very nicely done! Shows the difference better than anything I've come across. Nice to see something real world rather than just written.

Also glad it showed me what I wanted to see because mine is due in later today
Thanks fro the feedback. Let me know what you think about the seat.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:01 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

It's just an idea and would be a bit of work and sourcing, but if you had a video like that that compared several seats, Lucky Daves, Saddleman, Corbin, Stock (couple different ones) , ect. all in one video I think it would easily become the reference people used for picking a seat. That's the first time it ever appeared clear as to what position changes occur and how it would effect your posture and what not.

I would think if you had a meet up with a few members with the different seats it would be easy enough to get a variety without having to buy anything.

I just found when looking for a seat myself that rider position changes where never all that clear cut. Mostly assumptions and best guesses, but never anything that actually showed how it would effect you on the bike. The difference when you actually sat in it too is something there isn't really any solid information on out there. Could even have a couple different bikes and riders to cover the whole spectrum.

Just an idea, easy for me to say when I don't have to do any of the work.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:11 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I like the lucky dave's seats, but thanks to that video, I see that it would raise me up too much. Any more than the LRS stock seat height and I wouldn't be able to flat foot it.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Try taking a towel and folding it over till it's a solid 1" (not a plush 1"), throw it on your bike and see how that feels.

Or even see if someone around you has the same seat you want to try. Sometimes they are curved in such a way that you can sit higher yet still have a better reach when you put your feet down. Depends how it's shaped where your leg hits when you put them down, a seat can push your leg out more meaning you need a wider stance to flat foot it. This guy mentioned it was easier and more comfortable for him to put his foot down with the Lucky Dave.

Just a thought, a whole lot effects how it works out in the end.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-06-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:09 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

So, a quick couple notes after I've tried 10 miles on the seat before the rain and rush hour traffic hit.

Craftsmanship: As a guy who makes things for a living, this is beautifully done. They did an amazing job. The gold is slightly brighter than the gold on a LR-S but it's in the same family of shade and I think actually works better than if it was darker to match the wheels. It's more noticeable in photos than it is in person. The stock seat never felt cheap, but when you put the two side by side the LD is miles ahead.

Fit: Yep, up higher. It does hit a little more on my legs than the stock seat when I'm stopped, course the other seat had 7,000 miles on it and was more broken in.

Ride: Comfort is something that takes a 500 mile ride, not a 10 to notice, but I did notice a drastic change in handling. The seat made my back straighter and how it positioned me on the bike I found I was in more control over it. Best way I can explain it is it's a lot more willing to dive into a corner and something I found I had missed from a sports bike; I can easily throw it with my hips. Not the handle bars, not the pegs, but from the hips. You sort of dance the bike, it's very useful and enjoyable when you need to move around in a lane. The bike no longer feels bottom heavy, like a mop trying to move around a bucket of water on wheels. It's amazing how just changing the seat brought that aspect of riding back that much.

I put 9 days of 12hours worth of riding in a row on the stock seat. I felt no need to change it out. I was very happy with the stock seat. The only reason I looked for a different seat is I wanted something for a passenger. I'll ride more with it tomorrow. Don't expect I'll have anything to add that no one else has.

Well worth the money.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-06-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:53 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 372 Likes on 209 Posts

The only reason I looked for a different seat is I wanted something for a passenger.
A couple of thoughts. I switched from the stock Low Rider seat to the LD. I definitely wanted to keep the 2-up option. I really like the LD and it's on the bike for all my solo riding (which is most of my riding). It is nice to have the option for a rider to hop on if needed. However, as I've said before in other threads my wife is definitely NOT a fan of the passenger portion of the LD seat. It might be OK for short hops around town but anything longer I have to switch it to get her on the bike. I ended up getting a third seat, a Mustang Vintage 2-up, for those rides that she is going to be with me. It becomes sort of a ritual when setting up for 2-up riding to switch out seats and adjust the shocks.

I'm short, 5'7" w/ a 30" inseam. I do not find the LD too high and I can flat foot both feet. Although it is higher than both the stock and the Mustang.

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:35 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Yeah... going to find out on that one. But at least I have the option for a passenger now.
My goal was that it's comfortable enough for the passenger for a 300 mile day trip with a whole lot of stops and walking around. I think it will be more than comfortable enough for that, guess we'll find out.

Though I don't think it would be comfortable enough for a passenger for a 300 mile trip with only a stop for fuel, but I myself like to pull over and check things out at least once an hour, that's half the point.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 AM
JuanderBoy
Cruiser

It's just an idea and would be a bit of work and sourcing, but if you had a video like that that compared several seats, Lucky Daves, Saddleman, Corbin, Stock (couple different ones) , ect. all in one video I think it would easily become the reference people used for picking a seat. That's the first time it ever appeared clear as to what position changes occur and how it would effect your posture and what not.
Now, that is an excellent idea! I would be a great reference and we can add a view from the top, which I missed on my video. The width near the tank makes a difference in the feel. On the LD my legs are closer together which makes me feel I have a better grip on the bike, specially combined with a straighter back position.

If there's anyone out there with a seat for the FXDL other that LD and wants to do a collaboration I'm open for it. I'll shoot and cut the video.

I live about 20 min. north of Burbank, CA.

Quick Reply: Any one with a Lucky Daves seat (vs stock)