Classic All 'historic' bikes.

1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 PM
troy montoya
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 380 Posts

thanks for the extra material, how long have you had your FXDG i am the second owner of my wide glide and have owned it for 20 years and this is the first re-build , the motor had over 120k miles on it so it was time to redo it so thats why i am doing this conversion now..

Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

thanks for the extra info , i do have a copy of the H-D Archives & the 83 enthusiast, as you can see from the pictures i posted i don't have the the color quite right. I've also have used stainless steal hard ware throughout and also used a set of 2001 H-D stainless steal baby apes handle bars with internal wierring . Because my bike is a FXWG i have not gone to overboard on making it exactly like an original FXDG.

Last edited by troy montoya; 01-31-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Heirs a photo of my motor after wrinkle finish coating, the cylinders were also coated, but were at the machine shop for honing when i snapped this shot

Last edited by troy montoya; 02-01-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:36 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

well so far you are the only one who has responded to this thread, so here goes, would you be willing to loan me a 83 decal for reproduction purposes ? knowing how rare these are i promise to take utmost care to make sure you get it back in the same condition as you send it to me, i have 2 other contacts that could also use a set so please know that the help you you give us would be greatly appreciated ! If you decide not to help it's perfectly alright , I under stand . Either way thank you so much you've already helped me out a lot

Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by troy montoya
well so far you are the only one who has responded to this thread, so here goes, would you be willing to loan me a 83 decal for reproduction purposes ? knowing how rare these are i promise to take utmost care to make sure you get it back in the same condition as you send it to me, i have 2 other contacts that could also use a set so please know that the help you you give us would be greatly appreciated ! If you decide not to help it's perfectly alright , I under stand . Either way thank you so much you've already helped me out a lot
I can get you one of the silver one, as they are 'disposable'. The problem with the original decals is that to make a copy of it, you can't use the decal, it is basically destroyed. Since the stickers are so old, the transfer tape has much more adhesive power than the sticker itself, they don't want to separate. The only way to get a scan of it will be to apply it to something and then meticulously remove the transfer tape.

I got these last decals with the intent to someday make reproductions, but since I didn't have an immediate need and knew it would destroy the decal, I just haven't gotten to it. If you guys think it's time, I can move forward with the project. I have to find the right sticker shop, since this is a printed decal with a funky gray color, so it might take me a little bit. Fortunately I live in one of the biggest advertising towns in the USA, so there are plenty of resources here.

Let me know what you think. Obviously if I get them made, there will be some cost to getting a set.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:11 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

ok i under stand that there will be costs involved in re-producing the original decals, when you are ready i would like to have 4 sets of 2 ea , let me know when they are ready so we can work out a deal. thanks again for your help, Troy

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Hallo mrlexus, its ben 3 days since i posted my request for the FXDG decals, but no response from you, is everything ok ? or have you changed your mind ? please let me know either way you decide to help me out or not, thanks Troy

Old 02-05-2018, 03:02 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Hell mrlexus, I've found a reproduction co that reproduces obsolete decals, they can work from photos , so if you can send me a "straight on " shot of the original decal with the out side diameter measurement that would help, i found in the Companies color charts Pearl Gray is the best match, ok hope to hear from you soon ,Troy

Old 02-05-2018, 06:14 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

I did talk to a shop on Friday. They think they can match any color, as they print them. However, I don't have the transfer tape off the original decals, it's not easy, so I won't do it until I'm sure the print shop is 100% able. For that I need to actually bring it down. So, if you're in a hurry, I can take one of the silver decals in to my office and scan it for you and send the file to give to your print shop. That way you will have everything perfect dimension wise, and it won't matter as they can just change the color of the silver part. Is that OK for now?

If you want to try and get the color as close as possible, I can take a picture of the decal next to some know object so you can calibrate your monitor color to real life. Something that you would have in Germany and I would have here that is always a consistent color, like say a red Coke-a-Cola can.

Last edited by mrlexus; 02-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:26 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

ok that will work, if would you like to know, the Co. i found has ben reproducing obsolete decals since 1982 and they are located in Florida, you can find them at" discontinued decals.com " maybe you've seen them or if not give them a look and let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread