Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

I understand the desire to want to ride but IMO I wouldn't only because after you ride and wash your bike there will still be that doubt in your mind if you washed all the salt off or is there some I missed and it's corroding my bike as I read this and will continue to corrode my bike throughout the rest of winter. Adding this doubt will drive you crazy, just like your bars being crooked on your lrs. Hehe

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,689 Likes on 3,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Reading some of these responses, I have no idea why the hell some people get so damn angry over a topic like this.

My thinking is the lack of riding just puts ppl in a bad mood. I’m in a great mood after today
Bikers - ride

Bitches - bitch

****** - make excuses

==================

Oh..., and one self proclaimed *** - hasn't a clue

===============

Rock on Mchad

Ghost

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
I understand the desire to want to ride but IMO I wouldn't only because after you ride and wash your bike there will still be that doubt in your mind if you washed all the salt off or is there some I missed and it's corroding my bike as I read this and will continue to corrode my bike throughout the rest of winter. Adding this doubt will drive you crazy, just like your bars being crooked on your lrs. Hehe
Had to go there huh? Lol

Old 01-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,016 Posts

No big deal !

Old 01-20-2018, 11:11 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Reading some of these responses, I have no idea why the hell some people get so damn angry over a topic like this.

My thinking is the lack of riding just puts ppl in a bad mood. I’m in a great mood after today
That's simple, nowdays everyone is so ****in miserable so any chance to bitch is taken. And remember, if someone else is too afraid to do what you do, they are right and you are wrong. I ride when I can. I don't know if I'll even be alive next season. And it feels good to know I ride 10-11 months out of the year.....ok everybody, start bitching and telling me how "crazy" or "retarded" I am.....

Old 01-20-2018, 11:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

I rode every winter for the last 15 years since I retired. In this area Nov. 1 to March 31 is when most bikes go into storage. During that time period I have ridden between 12K to 14K miles each year.

However this year I am only at 3K because global warming seems to have went away. We have had long stretches of well below zero.

However in all those years I have never experienced any issue caused by salt. I only clean the bike in the spring. They are in a heated garage and that may make a difference.

Oh wait! I do recall changing foot pegs on one bike and that flat spring metal washer/spacer was a little rusted. Hit it with WD and it was cured.

Along with the passion for riding I winter ride to keep my skills up. Winter riding builds on them because the things you do in good weather are even more important in the winter. Following distance is more critical. Awareness of surface conditions are more important. Speed is more critical. At 77 I don't want to head out in May on a multi state tour after being idle for 5 months.

Somehow that makes sense to me.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-20-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:43 AM
rossWG
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

imo, you always do what you need to do, to enjoy the bike, otherwise whats the point

eyes open, and there's enough tips on here for mitigate a large part of the risk for salt contamination

Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 AM
Rollcage
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought it to ride it, to enjoy it, not just look at it.
If we get a nice day, I'm riding.
I'll wash it when I'm done, if the point comes I need another one, I'll buy one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rollcage:
K9F (01-21-2018), rideon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollcage
I bought it to ride it, to enjoy it, not just look at it.
If we get a nice day, I'm riding.
I'll wash it when I'm done, if the point comes I need another one, I'll buy one.

Great ethos and one I concur with. If needed you can always go and buy an ex-Garage Queen with really low mileage from someone that either made constant excuses NOT to ride rather than get on it and enjoy it, or just bought into the name and culture to say they own one.

Last edited by K9F; 01-21-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

probably too late as you were talking about yesterdays weather im sure here in the north east..

im jonesing for a ride myself, last time out was Christmas eve for a little over 40 miles.

all I can add is back in 2013 I took my switchback for a ride on a nice January day, roads were white from leftover salt, came home after 50 miles and bike was washed and covered as more snow was coming in..

6 weeks of crap weather later its finally nice enough and had rained to wash the salt off the road so I figured I would go for a ride.. pulled off the cover and my mag wheels were white from salt residue the rest of the polished parts were all clouded..

took a solid week and a ton of elbow grease to detail it..

if that salt away product works it may be the way to go BUT in my case I will wait for this Tuesdays heavy rain and get a ride in next Saturday as I don't mind the cold but I will never risk the salt again..

Quick Reply: riding in salt