Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 PM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

The service guy at my dealership also told me to check it when its hot.

Crazy that they dont know what they are doing.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,167 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Just got off the phone with the service manager. He’s “looking into it to see what he can do for [me].”

Old 12-20-2017, 02:09 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Alright, so a couple hours later now the Service Manager gave me a call and said that a tech has the bike apart looking at it. He assured me that it’s oil that migrates from the engine to the primary. I asked him if he’s ever looked at TA0022, to which he said no. I informed him that is the one specifically talking about transmission to primary transfer...

The manager at least had the tech show him the shop manual that DID state to check the level upright. He checked both the owners manual and the service manual and BOTH of those said to check it on the jiffy stand, in fact the service said on one page to check it upright, and on another page to check it on the jiffy stand. Interesting, huh?

The manager has his head on straight at least and can do his job of dealing with people, but sheesh, I had to explain how to check the level, show them the service bulletin, and hold their hand through the process.

The following users liked this post:
Clay Rocker (05-19-2019)
Old 12-20-2017, 03:06 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
The manager at least had the tech show him the shop manual that DID state to check the level upright. He checked both the owners manual and the service manual and BOTH of those said to check it on the jiffy stand, in fact the service said on one page to check it upright, and on another page to check it on the jiffy stand. Interesting, huh?
Just experienced this as well at my 5k service. They said oh yeah you should check the trans lever while the bike is level. I said well you guys need to update your owners manuals, cause that's completely opposite to what it says!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:13 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Manager called me again tonight letting me know the bike was all back together and ready for pickup. Nothing out of the ordinary was found, but he took my advice and put in a tech service call with the mothership, noting the TA0022 bulletin, to make sure there’s a paper trail should anything come up in the future.

They should have everything measured exactly and the next time I notice any of the levels change, I’m taking it right to them and they will empty and measure the levels.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Manager called me again tonight letting me know the bike was all back together and ready for pickup. Nothing out of the ordinary was found, but he took my advice and put in a tech service call with the mothership, noting the TA0022 bulletin, to make sure there’s a paper trail should anything come up in the future.

They should have everything measured exactly and the next time I notice any of the levels change, I’m taking it right to them and they will empty and measure the levels.
Thanks for posting your experience. My 5k service is coming up soon. I already have everything to do this myself. I plan to start with the derby cover first and see if anything seeps. If it does I'll button it back up and take it in to be documented. If not, I'll proceed.

Man it sucks you have to tell the tech everything yourself. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Kay9Cop
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to prove/disprove fluid transfer all you have to do is add or have them add dye to the transmission. The results are pretty definitive.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kay9Cop
If you want to prove/disprove fluid transfer all you have to do is add or have them add dye to the transmission. The results are pretty definitive.
Ah, yes I forgot to mention that. They are adding dye.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:34 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Finally got the bike back. While it was in the shop, I bought the Custom Dynamics LEDs for $145 on Amazon (2x Dynamic Rings for front, 2x Rear, 4x Smoke Lenses).

The following users liked this post:
Clay Rocker (05-19-2019)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Alright, so I’m moving again... I’ll be buying a house just north of Waxahachie. Finally got this short term lease out of the way. It’ll be nice to have a garage! It’s been a long couple months lol.

Anyone down that way?

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX