Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red fluid on my clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Red fluid on my clutch cable

Lately I noticed some red fluid on my cautch cable.I checked where clutch cable goes into transmission and all is nice and dry at the entry point but at the lowest point of the cable this red fluid is sipping out. Should I be really concern about this. My 2014 Slim has only 1000 miles on it as I just bought this thing with 500 miles. I replaced trans fluid and properly refilled it while doing it. Kinda early for leaks after such low milage.

I am wondering if this is big deal? I will hate to remove this whole exhaust to replace this cable or worst yet $1 o-ring and wonder if I should just check level periodically and dont bother with wasting my time. Is trans fluid red btw?

Anyone has same issue?

Last edited by Burbur2; 12-06-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Check the clutch cable nut for tightness, check trans fluid level, clean and monitor. If it wasn't loose, the o ring may be the culprit. If it bothers you and it's cold where you live, now is the time. Trans fluid CAN be red, is that what you remember putting in?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 12-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I actually tight the nut just a bit more as I read this one is really easy to brake so I was gentle. Will check level again just to be sure it is ok. Yeah it is cold in IL so I might be for a job I guess

Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Did the previous owner just lube the cable ?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I actually tight the nut just a bit more as I read this one is really easy to brake so I was gentle. Will check level again just to be sure it is ok. Yeah it is cold in IL so I might be for a job I guess
If you find that it is the o ring and decide to change it, here's something that helps me re-thread the cable into the trans end cover. I hold the cable still and thread the trans cover onto the cable by turning it (the cover). If you have the angle correct, it'll go on first time every time. I know this may not have made sense, but when/if you get to that part, re-read what I typed. It'll be clear then.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I have some doubts about this oring leaking as if that would be a case I will expect oil traces right under entry point but this area is dry. Is there any other place this cable itself can leak (meaning after nut that goes into tranny)?

i would expect from the tranny nut till clutch adjustment screw (in the middle of the cable) there is one solid piece without any additional connections. Isnt that the case? Looks like therr is this mash net on the lower part of the cable but this is just cover on top of the cable right? In case there is any additional connection between tranny nut and adjustment screw any chance I can tight/fix this connection?

Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You might want to check the rubber vent hose of your transmission. If it gets blocked for some reason (dirt of insects) the transmission oil gets forced up the clutch cable.

Could be the issue since your bike has stood idle for a longish time if I remember correctly.

Here is an old link about the same problem, there are some more threads on this.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post5112837

Last edited by Rakthi; 12-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

I dont think so. I believe previous owner did nothing from moment he bought the bike, not even broke it in so in fact this might be still factory state of things and 1000 miles of driving. So let say this is oiled from factory will it still leak from where if not nut going into trans?

I will place paper towel next to the tranny nut today and see if it is sipping from there by any chance and report back in 24 hrs or sooner.

I will also try to locate this vent hose and check it out whats the deal there.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's one thing for sure; problems eventually make themselves known. I have two Harleys and both of them have a leak, weep or drip somewhere, but I'm not doing anything about it. Not until it threatens to keep one of them from running down the road or something breaks that (labor wise) puts me in the neighborhood. Get a flashlight and crawl under a two year old car or truck. I have weeps and drips under my truck too, but I ain't taking it apart until something is broke.

Hats off to you OP for being proactive, but I wouldn't let something like that worry me much.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

So here is the latest on my investigation. I placed paper towels in 2 different locations to identify where this red fluid is coming from. One under nut where clutch cabel is going into tranny - this one was dry no sign of any leaks of any kind so here I believe it is not oring.

Second paper towel was under lowest point of clutch cable bent this is where i see this red fluid collecting
picture below.

Here I went step further and checked trans fluid and added about shot glass worth of fluid so looks like it is not overfilled. I will need help identifying this trans vent as I coudnt find it on my own so please help me with that.

Now most intriguing part. I took a picture of red fluid stain from paper towel and place sample of my transmission oil (Amsoil) which is clear and compared two. No doubt whatever is leaking is not trans oil, it is this red unknown fluid. So I still dont know where is it leaking from and what it is. Check the picture below.

What do you guys think? On left side is red unknown fluid on right sample of my trans oil. Definately not the same thing.

Last edited by Burbur2; 12-07-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Red fluid on my clutch cable