General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Collect Ugly Bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:19 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 862 Posts

I like the new Fatboy, except for the wheels. Contrary to most people, I REALLY like the new headlight styling because I'm old enough to remember when Sportsters had that same headlight treatment. So to me it looks old school:

I'm curious as to why you went back to the Fatboy after the Road Glide.

The following users liked this post:
TORQUEY (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn't call any of the 3 Harleys ugly. In fact they all look pretty good to me. While I'm not a fan of the shark nose I did eyeball a 16 CVO Road Glide for a while at the local dealer. As for the sport bike yes to me it's fugly, but then I don't care for the sport bike looks anyway. And like others have said, your opinion is the only one that matters so ride what you like.

TORQUEY (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:19 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Life is like a box of chocolates

TORQUEY (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:46 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

[QUOTE=skidder;16776079]I had a friend, well I thought he was one until someone told him his Road Glide was ugly and I agreed that it was.
Well he about lost his mind over that.
As long as he liked it was all that should have mattered but nooooo, everyone had to like it.
Mental midget over a bike and how it looked.
Last I heard he was dating a pyschiatrist which makes total sense.

HA!!! If that story was fake it would be hilarious, but since it's true, it's too scary to be funny! Hey, I thought one would never find a bike parked outside of a shrink's office...

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I like the new Fatboy, except for the wheels. Contrary to most people, I REALLY like the new headlight styling because I'm old enough to remember when Sportsters had that same headlight treatment. So to me it looks old school:

WOW!! A right side shift K model!! Cool!!

I'm curious as to why you went back to the Fatboy after the Road Glide.
I loved the Road Glide, and especially with that Madstad windshield, it was hard to beat on the highway. HOWEVER, (and please no one take offense!!), the '18 Softails are an order of magnitude better at everything:

At 100 pounds less and going from a 103 to a 118, there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison in any respect.

My non LED Road Glide was fitted with small, LED running lights. Even with that, riding at night with the brights on constantly, where incidentally, I was never flashed ONCE by motorists for having them on, was akin to having 2 very dim candles in a soot covered, yellow glassed lantern as far as visibility was concerned. At night, it was downright dangerous to me.

After reading 9,000 posts about how horrible the new FB handled because of the huge tires, it took me almost 8 feet of riding to become totally used to it. Slow speed maneuverability is ASTOUNDING, and as some will recall, I am used to a Yamaha FZ-10 sport bike which is like a surgical tool as far as precision is concerned. I thought I'd have to hit the gym in order to counterbalance this bike, but it turns without even thinking about it. Yet, I am sure skinny tires would make it flick even more quickly. Yet, the Road Glide was like a Transit Mix truck compared to the new FatBoy.

The clutch is 1/3rd the effort. The transmission is VASTLY improved, to the point that it feels as though it were designed in this century.

However, the horrible suspension of the Road Glide is what did me in. Here in New York, rather than use funding to improve roadways, it is instead used to stuff envelopes for favors... I will say that under ideal road conditions, the Road Glide was aptly named in that it felt like gliding on air. Here it made the bike feel like it was falling apart (though it was very strong!) and was just KILLING my back! I had memorized 90% of the bumps in my area, and as I approached them, I would prepare psychologically and physically for the impact...to no avail. The FatBoy's suspension, both fore and aft, are several orders of magnitude better.

Then there are those BRAKES!!!! The new Fatty stops 10,000 times better than my dual disc Brembo Glide, and that's without its antilock system kicking in before it has to. No comparison WHATSOEVER!!!

Having said that, I really do love ALL bikes, LOVED my Glide and would have 100 bikes if I could. As it is, I thank God a million times, I can have what I do!!!

Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,750 Likes on 3,110 Posts

Never noticed the rake on the Fatboy, until now. Hmmm....

Old 10-28-2017, 01:45 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Never noticed the rake on the Fatboy, until now. Hmmm....
Yes, it is substantial, and is incredibly stable at speed, without hands on the bars. The day of the wobble is LONG over.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,796 Likes on 6,699 Posts

Sounds like you are extremely happy with your purchase.

I had a funny remark about the headlight nacelle but thought better of it.

Last edited by Prot; 10-28-2017 at 02:22 PM.
TORQUEY (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 03:35 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 862 Posts

WOW!! A right side shift K model!! Cool!!

No...not a K model...that's a '67 XCLH. This is a K model......

They were 750cc.......notice the different heads.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:24 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,660 Likes on 2,537 Posts

No offense intended, but I like the Yammie better.
And...I HATE rice.

TORQUEY (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

You want something that most consider UGLY? Buy what I did.

TORQUEY (10-29-2017)

Quick Reply: I Collect Ugly Bikes...