Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I? get to the battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:38 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,878 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Just between us.....

My riding partner called me over to his house the first time he tried to remove the battery from his '10 Ultra and we quickly solved one problem with that plastic cover tray with a pair of cutter pliers!

It worked out so well that I did the same "customization" to my '13 and also simplified my life!

If that battery can get out of my bike (or our) bikes now, they must be turned upside-down with the seat removed and all of the wiring and cables disconnected and in such a predicament, I could not care less about the battery!

Old 10-07-2017, 06:54 AM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I see, pull the connectors apart first, then remove them from the tray. thank you Hammz and hattitude.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:34 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 267 Likes on 152 Posts

Wow! What a difference from my 2006 Ultra! Once the seat is off, you see the battery right there. Now, actually lifting the battery out is "fun" for both mine and that newer model. What I did early on was bought some of those nylon battery straps they use in boats. You can get them cheap at Wally-World. Once you remove the battery the first time you place a couple of those straps in the tray, then the battery. From now on you just pull up on the straps to remove the battery. Much easier.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,276 Likes on 840 Posts

On my 2012 I trimmed the plastic piece as with all the connectors under there (battery, GPS wires, SAE pigtail) they really don't fit. Once I had a GPS wire break due to rubbing on that plastic piece. Cut some of it off on each side w/ a Dremel. See photo.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 AM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

If you need to ask how to get the battery out... Just take her to the dealer..............

Old 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrecco
If you need to ask how to get the battery out... Just take her to the dealer..............
You know that's a real simple, trite and kind of ignorant answer.
Not a single one of us who work on our own vehicles was born knowing how to do it. Someone taught us or answered our questions so we could learn.
One of the purposes of this forum is to help fellow HD owners out.
If you wanted a trite yet still helpful answer you could have recommended he get a FSM. But to dismiss a legitimate question from someone trying to learn is, IMO, not in the spirit of the forum.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:48 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

There's a bazillion how to videos in youtube

Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

OK. for the record, I am not intimidated by rgrecco, he just doesn't know the answer. and I have a service manual (I must be getting old, took me a minute to figure what the F stood for in FSM). It does not explain how to remove the connectors. And I did a search on U tube before I posted here and came up with the same lame video as posted above.

Thanks again to the two posters. For those of you who want to know how to do it.
You press down on the tab on top to pull the connectors apart. The rear connector stays attached to the tray. There is a white plastic anchor under it, you can see it with a flashlight. Push down on the connector with a flat blade screwdriver and pull the connector forward to release it. Pictures are attached, you can see the white clips that hold the rear half of the connector in place, and you can see the nub on the bottom of the connector that has to be cleared by pushing the white clip down.

push down on the white clip to clear the nub on the bottom of the connector, pull the connector forward. left side of pic is front of bike

this is the battery exposed. all I wanted to do was clean the terminals

the tray. pull it forward to clear the metal tongue in front

The following users liked this post:
cficole (10-12-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,818 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Good job.... glad to see you got it done... !

I notice your old battery had a strap around it... very lucky... I usually fashion a home-made strap when installing a new battery

Last edited by hattitude; 10-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:25 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Some connectors and their fixings can be a bugger to remove the first time .... Thanks for the pics and info .....

Quick Reply: how do I? get to the battery