Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

isnt a stage 1 just new pipes and an air cleaner?

I would install the new pipes and air cleaner myself, then buy an FP3 and flash it yourself. I bet you it will run much better and be a ton cheaper.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:28 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
isnt a stage 1 just new pipes and an air cleaner?

I would install the new pipes and air cleaner myself, then buy an FP3 and flash it yourself. I bet you it will run much better and be a ton cheaper.
If you do that.POOF..your warranty instantly disappears. 2017 and later models only.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
This is usually when you are in the wrong gear trying to hit WOT. The reason why you think it has better throttle response is that there is more power available. You can get the same response if you dropped it down 1 gear. And you dont want to be in like 5th or 6th gear if you want to WOT. That's how you get pinging. HD's stock fuel ignition system is flawless from the get go.

Stage 1 is still not worth it. If you want to upgrade go big and go for a full system and some engine work. If you want performance get a 2 into 1 system not that duals crap or VH crapshots. That just makes a bunch of noise with negative HP gains. Rideability and performance is more important than just making a bunch of stupid noise.
I've been riding bikes for years and 100% know how to ride Jacka$$.... You can clearly feel a delay/ pause in throttle response on a stock M8. With my setup it disappeared... period! Don't act like you know me or think I'm a newbie to bikes as I do ride my bike ***** to the wall. Maybe unlike yourself internet hero! Sounds like you're familiar with what you mentioned above as you do it right?

And no I don't ping my motor nor ride in a gear to that doesn't keep my rpm's up ... say 5th or 6th going 30 mph. Gotta love the internet know it all... like yourself!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
This is usually when you are in the wrong gear trying to hit WOT. The reason why you think it has better throttle response is that there is more power available. You can get the same response if you dropped it down 1 gear. And you dont want to be in like 5th or 6th gear if you want to WOT. That's how you get pinging. HD's stock fuel ignition system is flawless from the get go.

Stage 1 is still not worth it. If you want to upgrade go big and go for a full system and some engine work. If you want performance get a 2 into 1 system not that duals crap or VH crapshots. That just makes a bunch of noise with negative HP gains. Rideability and performance is more important than just making a bunch of stupid noise.
this is why I come here...good quality reliable information that is backed up with years of experience and knowledge...that sounds you hear ladies and gentlemen is sarcasm. You should have to put a disclaimer after your posts because someone who didn't know any better might think what you said was actually true. That is not sarcasm.

The following users liked this post:
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,904 Likes on 3,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Haha.. Must been a long time since you were last in the dealer. I set of slip-ons is 500 bucks. Upgrade air filter is about $125 and a simple flash of the stock ecm without a tuner is about 60 bucks.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Am I right or wrong? I've put stage 1's on two bikes in the past 60 days. I went a little overboard but I think my prices are about on par with what I've seen anyway.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,904 Likes on 3,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Am I right or wrong? I've put stage 1's on two bikes in the past 60 days. I went a little overboard but I think my prices are about on par with what I've seen anyway.
Brother, I agree with you. You have my respect. I was poking fun at this thread in general. You're spot on. It's about as funny as me bitching about paying $130 for a manual after I spent $1500 on upgrades. I'm as dumb as everybody else.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

In the end, it's all about money. My son's brand new RG with 2500 miles on it and didn't bother with his first service is getting a new Trask put on it.

Told me all said and done, $8500.00 OUCH !!!!
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 hp. I think I'll wait till next spring and ride his to see what it's all about.

That's like a stage 8 or 10. Haha!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
For those that don't already have a PV go ahead and add $300-400 to that bottom line.

So this thread doesn't work out in your favor and you resort to "my toys are cooler than your toys" REALLY!!!!!!

Maybe that's why it cost more genius
youre an idiot.... the stage one if you do it yourself is 1500 - 1800...like i said little bit more than $500....... never mind youre too f ing stupid for this

Old 10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
For those that don't already have a PV go ahead and add $300-400 to that bottom line.

So this thread doesn't work out in your favor and you resort to "my toys are cooler than your toys" REALLY!!!!!!

Maybe that's why it cost more genius
youre an idiot.... the stage one if you do it yourself is 1500 - 1800...like i said little bit more than $500....... never mind youre too f ing stupid for this

Quick Reply: Is a Stage 1 upgrade Worth it