Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Road King Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I don't think you can generalize like that. There isn't any consensus in the 'Harley community' - old people think nostalgic, young people think old fashioned - and even that is a generalization.
There is on this subject. Do a search and you will find a general hostility toward removing the guards on Harley touring bikes, especially the Road Kings.

I admit, I don't understand the angst over removing the guards. Bikes that get a custom paint generally loose value, but the general response from the community is, "it's your bike, do what you want." However, suggest removing the guards, and the poster may find his life being threatened by the same posters who approve of custom paint.

Beary

Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

I refuse to use them until Harley makes them parallel to the ground and lines of the bike.

Not exactly rocket science to get right, is it?

I'm joking but it's a fair comment. Why do they tip up to the rear? Tried a double set and they were worse.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

One other thing to consider. That front crash bar has sent more PERFECTLY GOOD baggers to the scrap heap for VERY MINOR fall overs, that resulted in a slightly bent frame tab. If an Evo era Touring bike bends that tab, pretty much any insurance adjuster will be writting you a full value check and totalling the machine.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Take them off - Just be aware that you are upsetting the balance of nature and the internet will collapse because of it.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,402 Likes on 924 Posts

Visually, to me, it'll make it look more generic Japanese. I like the looks of the bars on them myself, very classic Harleyesque.

From a practical stand point, they give me a strong place to grab, another place to put my feet, and a place to lash things too. Plus, when the bike falls over, which does happen, the bike doesn't get damaged, and it's a lot easier to pick it back up.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,708 Likes on 834 Posts

As far as the rear goes, I made sure i lowered my bike to where my feet are solid on the ground, then took off the dumpy rear bars. They look like a cheeseburger momma's *** hanging over the seat. Fugly. I like this way cooler. Been thinking about getting forward controls and getting rid of the front crash bar. Ride naked in the summer, back with floorboards, lowers and crashbar in the spring/fall.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,708 Likes on 834 Posts
Old 10-04-2017, 01:28 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Take them off, you'll be glad you did. Kings look way better without them imo
here's a couple pics of mine
Attachment 618838
Attachment 620004

Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you take the rear bars off, won't you need to get the slip-on supports like they have on the Street Glides?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Been thinking about getting forward controls and getting rid of the front crash bar. Ride naked in the summer, back with floorboards, lowers and crashbar in the spring/fall.
Does someone do forward control conversion for Baggers? Which years?

The bars might stop some damages but cause others. I've seen lid edges crushed by bars folded into them.

The bikes sure do look clean without them.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by bikerlaw
One other thing to consider. That front crash bar has sent more PERFECTLY GOOD baggers to the scrap heap for VERY MINOR fall overs, that resulted in a slightly bent frame tab. If an Evo era Touring bike bends that tab, pretty much any insurance adjuster will be writting you a full value check and totalling the machine.
I know that tab well. Seriously, the whole frame is trash because of it?

Last edited by Wodan; 10-04-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Road King Bars