EVO All Evo Model Discussion

panic is setting in

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
mr-stabby
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default panic is setting in

hi guys at the monument i have a 97 fxds and i love it but i have always liked the fxr models , i have found one cheap and have put a £200 deposit on it , i haven't seen the bike in person yet which is a bit of a chance but the guy has said if its not what i want when we meet i can get my money back ,, my issue is its a 92 bike and after reading all the stuff about cracking cases and alf seem to be top breathers and others are bottom my head is scrambled ,, am i just being stupid and buy the thing or should i just hang on too my fxd as the boss has said i can't keep both ,,

thoughts please guys

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-stabby
hi guys at the monument i have a 97 fxds and i love it but i have always liked the fxr models , i have found one cheap and have put a £200 deposit on it , i haven't seen the bike in person yet which is a bit of a chance but the guy has said if its not what i want when we meet i can get my money back ,, my issue is its a 92 bike and after reading all the stuff about cracking cases and alf seem to be top breathers and others are bottom my head is scrambled ,, am i just being stupid and buy the thing or should i just hang on too my fxd as the boss has said i can't keep both ,,

thoughts please guys

Tell "the boss" to pipe down and keep both bikes.
There are some issues with some of the cases from that era, but so what?
Worst case scenario, you gotta replace the cases.....It's not that big a deal.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-stabby

thoughts please guys
As with any used vehicle when you first buy it things will pop up that need fixing.

If you really want it get it.

As for what the "boss" says unless there is a compelling reason why you can't have 2 bikes (have to be a good one like it would put you in jeopardy of losing your place to live or ability to put food on the table or ability to pay bills etc...) then I'd say keep both as sometimes ones busted and you can ride the other one or if a friend comes in town to visit and ya'll want to ride together etc...

Old 10-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,016 Posts

I found my 92 last winter. Because of the weather I did not test ride and I was in a similar situation. I started it up in the sellers garage played around with it a little but no test drive . It did have a lot of gear whine typ noise and I was concerned that it could be a cam bearing problem. The owner did say it was always like that. Turns out it was gear wine and it was always like that. I have since,did a cam and lifters. Bike runs great and no more gear whine. The Fxr is a great bike. I hope it works out for u . Good luck!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM
b bop n bob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,929 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Back in June I was hired to do some roofing and carpentry work. The homeowner had just bought a CVO ultra and was looking to sell his old bike. halfway thru the job the homeowner offered me the bike in exchange for materials and labor. I took a $3500 hit to the wallet but came home with a 97 ultra. Since then I put a 10 x 12 addition on the garage. I installed a wood stove and ran a funnel thru the wall so I don't have to go all the way outside to pee. I have ordered an extended range router so I don't have to sit on the back steps to use the internet. FYI, cfl bug bulbs suck.

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:33 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my 92 since 98 and been on the forums since purchase and I haven't seen one thread on someone with a busted case on a 92. Buy it and enjoy it! Post up some pics to!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Cool

Relax old chap! The FXR was replaced in 1995, so the choices available are limited. To be blunt you can either buy it or walk away, because the later supposedly much improved Evos were never installed in an FXR. I have owned my 1990 Glide from new and never had any problems with crank-cases. Of course you can always replace the engine with a bullet-proof S&S one.....

Post pics when you get it home!

Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,395 Likes on 3,608 Posts

I thought the issues with the case cracking was resolved by 1990?

Just get it.. you'll be very satisfied.....

And yeah keep both once paid for it's stupid to get rid of it...

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 10-06-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Relax old chap! The FXR was replaced in 1995, so the choices available are limited. To be blunt you can either buy it or walk away, because the later supposedly much improved Evos were never installed in an FXR. I have owned my 1990 Glide from new and never had any problems with crank-cases. Of course you can always replace the engine with a bullet-proof S&S one.....

Post pics when you get it home!
You are forgetting about the FXR4 put out in 2000.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You are forgetting about the FXR4 put out in 2000.
Yeah, but they're rare as hens' teeth!

Quick Reply: panic is setting in