Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake as a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 313 Likes on 229 Posts

And you're not too big for the bike. It will be fantastic.

A craftsman doesn't blame his tools. You may want to add mid pegs for comfort but should be good.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:58 PM
drew88
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 61 Posts

The first few months are the most dangerous. A lot of riders have mishaps (mostly minor) which is why buying a cheap used bike is recommended. During that period you develop that situational awareness or 6th sense that good riders have. Congratulations and welcome.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Dude.....Your good. Ride as much can BUT treat every person on the road as if they don't see you. Nice bike btw.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,571 Likes on 985 Posts

Next time your friends give you static about your purchase give them a jack lambert look!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:17 AM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 342 Likes on 189 Posts

Nothing wrong with starting out on a Dyna as your first bike; most likely the people telling you otherwise don't ride or are providing biased opinions. Harleys are not all that powerful and fast in comparison to a metric street bike for instance. Now, if you started off on a 1000cc metric bike Id say that's a bad idea...a Dyna, not even in the same class as a street bike. I have a LRS and hopped on a Yamaha R1 the other day....haha, our Dynas are not even in the same universe as powerful as a metric bike.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,007 Likes on 3,263 Posts

Powerful? Those people that made those remarks have no clue. Dynas are super docile in stock form. You are doing just fine. You need to worry more about other idiots on the road that are not watching for you. Be safe.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:30 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

x2 on the slow practice.. that's where you are going to drop the bike... starting or stopping.

For Harley's, it's not the power (obviously) it's the weight. If you've ever owned a bike before, likely your Fatbob will be heaviest you've ever had. Physics in play no matter what bike you ride. Slow training is so important.

Now then...new, heavy bike, going in to a corner, perhaps a little faster than the rider thinks they can manage, although too late... that's probably the 2nd screwup.

Watch your curves... heavy bike+laws of physics, wants to drift to the outside... you'll have to apply a bit more body positioning... here's my biggest tip, and I call it "ride like a fighter pilot"... when you get into a corner and you're drifting... you're staring at the side of the road now, where the gravel is and the bike keeps drifting.... yep.. .. GET YOUR EYES UP OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD INTO THE CURVE, WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.. DO NOT SLAM THE THROTTLE SHUT; THEN MOVE YOUR UPPER BODY TOWARDS THE HANDGRIP WHICH IS THE DIRECTION OF THE TURN.
Your bike has the capability of cornering much further and faster than you do... this little maneuver will save your ***, and it has for others, me included.

You have a great handling bike... more training, more practice, more riding... to train your brain... will be a good combination.

You can try the 'move towards the handgrip' thing in any highway corner you want... just to try it out... move slow... you'll feel the bike lean lower and grip.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 911 Likes on 516 Posts

I had never ridden a motorcycle in my life until April this year. I took the MSF and ride for 8 hours there, then rode my neighbors Yamaha 750 once in the neighborhood and bought a 2011 Street Bob with Stage 1. My brother (who rides) came over and I putted around the neighborhood to the school 100 yards from my driveway and practiced everything I learned in class for a week or so. Then I started doing loops out of my neighborhood and back going further each day. Im still learning now but have logged ~3000 miles and am glad I didn't listen to those who said get a sportster or metric bike. Hell I want a Street Glide now. Take it slow and enjoy. Don't push yourself and skill set to keep up with others and you should do just fine.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubline
Speaking with first hand knowledge, I am 5' 11" 270 and my FB has forward controls. I find that I am too big for the bike. It would be great if the seat were another 2 inches back. At 6' 2" I am willing to bet that after a short time, you will agree that you are too big for the bike, even with forward controls. Just my 2 cents.
I'm 6'2" and 290. I have a LRS with further forward mids, and am comfortable as can be. I did get a BMC Wall seat, which is more comfy than the stock solo, but the stocker worked fine also, but I prefer the greater lumbar of the BMC. My brother is 6'6" and about 270 and is fine on my bike. He rides an FXR with mids as his daily driver. So I think it's different for every rider as to what they like. I personally like the mids for the handling I get.

OP, I did the same thing last year. I bought the LRS new in September, took the HD Riders Edge course in November and since then, I've been out riding every chance I got. I started riding when I was 36.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

You`ll be fine. My only advice to you would be to purchase a black engine guard to protect your bike in case you drop it while practicing slow drills.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake as a new rider?