General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I remember when the FXR came out. People said they looked too much like Japanese bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think most of the people making these comments have any idea what japanese bikes look like. I spend a decent amount of time around Hondas ( I have had a few and still have one ) and Yamahas and none of them look like these Harley's do, other than the Honda shadow and that's just a Honda cruiser so it kinda looks like all other cruisers. To me when I saw the new bob I thought it was something out of a mad max film very post apocalyptic future utilitarian design and the first time I have ever thought that a street bob has looked good.
Don't sweat the idiots crying about pictures of something they've never actually seen in person and if they want to be stuck in the past leave them in the past eventually dinosaurs will die.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:05 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 543 Likes on 383 Posts

I was the plastic side cover that people complained it looked jappy. I was young and wanted something different. Got my FXR in oct 81.

Attached Thumbnails I remember when the FXR came out.  People said they looked too much like Japanese bikes.-img_0151.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't care for the looks of the new fat Bob, but after putting it through an aggressive test ride yesterday...I would say it is one of the finest riding bikes I've ever piloted. I think a skilled rider could keep up with sportbikes on a twisty road (not a track). It was the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time. But, it's ugly. And it's buzzy.

I also rode the fat boy. It is more.comfortable, but I hated it otherwise. Handled like a one track tank and that huge rear meat sucked copious amounts of monkey butter. But, it looks better than the fat Bob.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:40 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Well, Harley does have Japanese blood. It has been a mongrel for many years. Nothing new. Still love 'em.

"Technically speaking, Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the United States are not actually made here, but assembled here. Harley contracts manufacturing of parts to plants located all over the world, including Germany, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, and Mexico. Those parts are then shipped to Harley factories here."

Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Well, Harley does have Japanese blood. It has been a mongrel for many years. Nothing new. Still love 'em.

"Technically speaking, Harley-Davidson motorcycles sold in the United States are not actually made here, but assembled here. Harley contracts manufacturing of parts to plants located all over the world, including Germany, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, and Mexico. Those parts are then shipped to Harley factories here."
Now you've gone and done it..hang on boys!

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,887 Likes on 3,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Trench
Now you've gone and done it..hang on boys!

Corn's ready!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Corn's ready!

Whaaaaat? Just got back. Did you guys fill up on da' corn while I was out cruising on my WG???

Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 PM
6bblbird
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I do remember the "Jap bike" comments towards my FXRS back in '83. My coworkers even took a Toyoglide emblem from the deckled of a Corolla and presented it to me! (Still have it).
I've always seemed to pick the weird Harleys (Tour Glide, Road Glide) but these new bikes just ain't doin' it for me. I may have to road test one. I don't know.
WF

Old 08-27-2017, 10:04 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,533 Likes on 2,496 Posts

FXR didn't sell 'cause people said it was too jappy looking. They were right.
I bought one brand new in '88. Handled great, fast as all get out, but failed in the "Harley" dept...styling.
No one liked 'em until SOA came out, then everyone jumped on the "trendy" bandwagon.

"the first time I have ever thought that a street bob has looked good"

Still waiting on THAT one.

Last edited by dickey; 08-27-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,575 Likes on 4,169 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
FXR didn't sell 'cause people said it was too jappy looking. They were right.
I bought one brand new in '88. Handled great, fast as all get out, but failed in the "Harley" dept...styling.

Yep, the styling caught everyone by surprise. Even though the FXR frame offered a great improvement in handling and power to the rear wheel, a lot of the Harley loyalists called them Jap Superglides and they weren't popular.

There are a few guys on here that have turned their FXRs into some great looking machines.

Quick Reply: I remember when the FXR came out. People said they looked too much like Japanese bikes.