General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Millennials and Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:13 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
The folks at HD are clueless. Look at what they do.

They look at different US demographics, they undertake aggressive marketing nonsense, they look at overseas markets, they introduce sub par 500 and 750 CC bikes in the US and overseas. They have lost focus on what got them to where they are.

Look at other market leaders in the US. -

Mercedes is not hucking a Hyundai type of car for the masses.

Amazon is not hucking bricks and mortar for their products.

Walmart is not hucking Whole Food's produce, meat or poultry.

Trane is not hucking a Goodman type air/heating system.

HD darts and dodges aimlessly looking for the flavor of the month - anything that they think will increase sales.
Almost every signle one of those points is false/incorrect.
  • Merc has cheapo cars and sub-brands
  • amazon has brick and mortars .. and is buying up more
  • Walmart is definitely slinging food... they even have "neighborhood markets"

Old 08-09-2017, 09:35 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave0176
Im 42 have loathed over a Harley since I'm a young boy, and seeing Arnold rip that Fatboy in T2 just planted my love for HDs.
No worries, I see a lot of people with a love-hate relationship with their Harley-Davidson.

The following users liked this post:
Dave0176 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Ya, you know... to each his own I suppose... I have a lot of family that just doesn't understand my love for riding, but that's cool... I don't understand the phone thing, the social media thing, the video game thing and I never will. I'd rather be outside, in the shop, on the bike, whatever... I guess if we were all the same and enjoyed the same things, this world would be a pretty boring place. Just my 2 cents...
Well I'm 55 and still like my social media, couple of hours playing half life or portal on the weekends ( video games ) but I'll spend the bulk of the day outside garden, garage, out with the family and have phone free times during family time and the children don't mind one bit.

I remember someone told me we have these fantastic phones to help keep in touch with friends and family members afar, But it distances us from those that are near.

Wiz out

Originally Posted by dDavid
No worries, I see a lot of people with a love-hate relationship with their Harley-Davidson.
Yeah im trying to love mine. But it's hard when it has issues and needed 3 warranty clams in 4 months.

Wiz

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-11-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 AM
eldenco
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a millennial and love my Dyna. Had to buy second hand as there is no way I could of afforded a new one with out some sort of financing deal and that is not something that appeals to me.
I have quite a few friends who are interested in riding and say they would like a Harley but they just keep putting off their motor bike test. In the UK there are quite a few different aspects to it and unless you are over the age of 25 you are also restricted on the power output of the bike you can ride. I think because of this they view riding a bike as abit of a luxury.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

I'm a millinial from the 80s and I have always wanted harleys. I grew up seeing cool old ww2 harleys and flat track races on tv and Evil knivels sportster that he jumped over obstacles is like the general lee charger of the motorcycle world. I bought my first harley when i was in my late 20s and have had 3 more since then. I have met plenty of other millinials on harleys mostly dynas and sportsters, and it's not just the older millinials there is a 19 year old kid in my town that just bought a sportster. They are out there

Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

My husband and I are both Millennials I am on my 2nd Harley and my husband is on his 5th ...

My first Harley was a new 2015 Harley Night Rod and my 2nd Harley is a 2017 Harley Breakout (no i will not ride the street 500).

My husband rides 2016 Harley Breakout (he also will not ride a Street 500) ... those Streets 500/750 were not made for Millennials - Harley had a deal with India and in return India gave Harley the rights to slap a name badge on those bikes made India.

US and India had contra-deal where USA supplies India with Uranium in return India gives USA trade rights and ownership of many things undisclosed - one of those things were India must manufacture and pay for the costs of those bikes but India demanded USA to allow their nationals to work in the US. This is why USA is full of Indian workers with fake documents and passports.

If Harley really wanted to make a bike for younger people they would have down sized and modernized their night rods but they didn't so as you can see the Street 500/750 were the result of a US India contra deal ...

My auto word completion and word replacement is really annoying sorry about this I am trying to post something but it is being taken over by word auto completion and replacement

Last edited by Jessica Sinclair; 08-09-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid

I'm a Generation X'er. I've always owned and ridden inline fours. I have always wanted to try a Harley. I finally bought one about a year ago and I can see what all the fuss is about. It gives me a feeling that stirs my soul. Not to say that my inline four is not a lot of fun, it is, but the Harley just stirs something in me. It's a seriously fun bike to ride. Not so much performance oriented, but every bit as much fun as my inline four. And it's perty too!

The following users liked this post:
Jessica Sinclair (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty much all the millennials I know are popping kids out left & right. Going to birthday parties, school functions etc. No time to ride. Let alone make a payment on a bike when they probably already have car payment, daycare & ungodly amounts of money invested in *** wipe every month.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
Pretty much all the millennials I know are popping kids out left & right. Going to birthday parties, school functions etc. No time to ride. Let alone make a payment on a bike when they probably already have car payment, daycare & ungodly amounts of money invested in *** wipe every month.
Everyone does that not just Millennials it is part of our culture and way of life ...

Those articles everyone was referring to was created by FAKE NEWS .... trying to damage Harley Davidson brand name by using the online method of spreading lies and propaganda.

Most of my friends are Millennials some are Gen X and most of us ride some kind of motorbikes or drive cars ... but not everyone is into motorbikes because people are brainwashed by the fake news that bikes are dangerous and you will die if you ride it.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

One major thing I love about my Harley is how highly customizable it is. The abundance of aftermarket parts and model parts interchangeability is outstanding. On my Kawasaki I relied mostly on parts other members of this Kawasaki forum made for the bike, or I would have to modify it myself. There is not much else I can do to my Kaw (within my skill level). It's fun working on and changing my Harley.

Quick Reply: Millennials and Harley Davidson