Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Front AND Rear wheel bearings after 7500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
no, its anti-seize used on the axle and the excess mushed off when slid in. The new seal also rotates with the inner race unlike the past bearings.
That's typical of metal shielded bearings, the metal is crimped into an outer race groove. Almost impossible to remove one without damaging it bad enough it won't fit back on. I'd never use one on a wheel bearing, they're not near as water resistant as plastic sealed, no matter what the specs might claim. I've changed thousands of both types and seen too many metal shielded in environmentally exposed applications that didn't hold up when they got wet. Big difference between "shielded" and "sealed". Shielded are fine for something like oiled bearings in electric motors in a closed and clean environment; wheel bearings, hell no.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,019 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
That's typical of metal shielded bearings, the metal is crimped into an outer race groove. Almost impossible to remove one without damaging it bad enough it won't fit back on. I'd never use one on a wheel bearing, they're not near as water resistant as plastic sealed, no matter what the specs might claim. I've changed thousands of both types and seen too many metal shielded in environmentally exposed applications that didn't hold up when they got wet. Big difference between "shielded" and "sealed". Shielded are fine for something like oiled bearings in electric motors in a closed and clean environment; wheel bearings, hell no.
You are thinking shielded bearing and not sealed. Its not.. It's a sealed bearing with a metal shield added over it.

There was nothing wrong with the early HD sealed bearings for 3/4 and 1 inch axles, they were pretty good.. The later ones that started in 2008 had issues when HD switched over to 6205 bearings.. Some did not have enough grease in them.. I suspect that some of these later issues are occurring do to improper installation.. HD seems to be have more issues with assembly of late that anything else.. The 6205 bearings have been used in other MC wheels for a long time..

There has been issues with some of the install tools.. Aftermarket sure screwed them up..

Old 07-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You are thinking shielded bearing and not sealed. Its not.. It's a sealed bearing with a metal shield added over it.
Didn't know that, haven't run across that combination before that I remember, from the pic just thought it was a shielded.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 AM
Poodie
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front bearing

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
I'm taking my '17 Road King from Key West to the Arctic Circle in a week or so, so I took the bike in for an early 10K service and new tires. Service advisor calls with "good news:"

I need new front and rear wheel bearings - the good news is they're warranty items, so it's free.

But what the hell? I'm going to put another 7500 miles on the bike by August2 or so ... will it need bearings again?

Is this a problem anybody else has heard of?
Hi
My 2015 needed a font bearing at 8,000mls😡

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,159 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Sealed bearings with metal reinforcement have a "Z" in the nomenclature. I thought the HD bearings were 6205-2RS, and NOT 6205-2RSZ (note: RS and RS1 are the same seals).

Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,936 Likes on 19,377 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
Stunned that You replaced tires at 7500 miles.They will go at least twice that.Hope You bought some decent tires like Michelin Commanders.Good for 25,000 miles.Hope Your trip goes well.
No problems with the Dunlops and the mileage is fantastic .... 20,000 miles on the originals and the same for the D407 ( HD branded ) replacements.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
I'm taking my '17 Road King from Key West to the Arctic Circle in a week or so
So are you doing the Iron Butt UCC?

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ucc/

Looks like an Epic Ride!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,376 Likes on 4,783 Posts

just put Dunlop American Elites on mine and specifically asked them to be sure to inspect wheel bearings which they said is SOP anyway, at 10,300 miles I was told all looked fine

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Not all but many of the problems I have seen over my life with Harley-Davidsons are caused by the owners. This was first brought to my attention in 1978, I was in the Army and had a new XLCH and so did a couple of Buddies. Both of those guys had Elec Switch issues, their handle bars switches just fell apart, I thought it weird cause I had no issues. Then one day I saw them at the quarter car wash.

Seen many many guys break down on the road, the passing motorists surly thought to themselves, "there is another junk Harley". Upon inspection it was usually owner inflected and rarely the Bikes fault.

Not sure what to think about todays problems, reading about Guys on their 2nd and 3rd engines on bikes with hardly any miles on them gives me Pause.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
The bearings are a little different this year,...
Really? In what way, because they're still listing the same 9276A/9252 pairs (ABS) as replacements for the '17 FLHXS as they do for my '13 FXSB.

If you want the absolute best bearings you can always go with 2 sets of Ceramic bearings that are lubed with Mobil Polyrex aerospace grease. For ABS bikes they run a cool $215 a set. (You have to buy each bearing separately)

http://www.brocksperformance.com/Cer...1457+C170.aspx

http://www.brocksperformance.com/Cer...0170+C170.aspx

Quick Reply: New Front AND Rear wheel bearings after 7500 miles?