Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,813 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
Do you spend any significant time on dirt/gravel roads? If so, I'm betting that is what's doing it.....

YMMV

Lon
Not any significant time. I live on a gravel road, though only about 500 feet from the pavement.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
I don't have quite the mileage you do, but living/riding in Arizona, I don't think your roads are any hotter than ours. At 2500 miles, I can still just barely see the base of the **** on my tires..........

YMMV

Lon
My tires still looked new at 2500 miles as well. Not sure at what point they decided to wear excessively. At the beginning of May, I had around 3000 miles on the bike. That's when it started heating up, and it's only gotten hotter since. A lot of 90°F days since then over the next 3000 miles and there is much more significant wear.

I know Arizona is hotter, not sure how much you ride in the higher temps or for how long. My rides are a minimum half hour (that's how long it takes me to get to town/work). At 90-100°F, that's plenty of time to get the tires scorching hot.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 07-07-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Just a suggestion, but maybe you stand on your brake pedal more than you realize. Also, the M8's do make more low down torque than the twin cam engines do, so maybe you are twisting the right handle grip more than you realize. I find that all that torque goes to waste if you don't crank it on from time to time. Hey man, it is only money. You can probably put a new set of skins on for around $500-600. This is an expensive hobby, isn't it?
I appreciate the response and will evaluate those aspects more closely when I ride. For me, it isn't a hobby - my motorcycle is my primary mode of transportation. I take every effort to evaluate myself honestly, and I'm in the game to extend the life of this bike and its components. I don't do burnouts and wonder why the life of the rear sucks. From day one, I've been trying to get the best fuel economy (which, in turn, provides less wear and tear on other components like tires).

New set of tires will cost about $300 as I will mount them myself. Cost isn't a major concern, I just want to get the most out of them, and from what I can tell from other riders, I'm not going to get close. I want to increase efficiency and reduce downtime.

Honestly evaluating my riding, I'm not certain that I brake heavily. I say that because for any of the turns I have to make, I coast to the turn rather than using the brakes, sometimes I pull the clutch and coast, sometimes I engine brake. When I engine brake, I'm not downshifting hard either - I'm downshifting around 2000 rpm and you hardly feel any additional deceleration at that point. And only make two turns on my commute each way.

As far as accelerating too hard, if I turned the throttle any less, the bike wouldn't accelerate. Im also shifting around 2750-3000 rpm. I'm honestly evaluating my riding daily to get the best possible fuel economy.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 07-07-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
My tires still looked new at 2500 miles as well. Not sure at what point they decided to wear excessively. At the beginning of May, I had around 3000 miles on the bike. That's when it started heating up, and it's only gotten hotter since. A lot of 90°F days since then over the next 3000 miles and there is much more significant wear.

I know Arizona is hotter, not sure how much you ride in the higher temps or for how long. My rides are a minimum half hour (that's how long it takes me to get to town/work). At 90-100°F, that's plenty of time to get the tires scorching hot.
Had this bike 2 months and sitting at 2500 now. I will ride pretty much in any weather, but now that I am retired, I try to avoid rain and anything much over 100 degrees.......

Lon

Old 07-12-2017, 10:51 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Figured I'd add pictures from the 5k service...

5,082 miles.

Popped the cork!

Drain plugs looks clean as a whistle.

Just an overall picture of the setup. 1) Oil Filter Drain Routing. 2) I guess I scraped a time or two! 3) Damn wind blew some oil around a bit.

Oil Filter Drain Funnel in place.

Backside of the oil filter drain funnel - a good check to make sure it is fully seated. For the love of GOD, PUT RAGS UNDER THE FUNNEL.

I probably could get away with a 4" extension instead of this 6".

Fill 'er up. Put in 4 qts. This is a hot reading (rode the bike to get it to full operating temp, parked it and let it idle for two minutes). If it's unclear, the level goes right to Full Hot on Jiffy Stand.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 07-12-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Damn, it's going to be a long week without riding... On business travel for the next 7 days. When I get back, I'll have a couple days to look the bike over and make sure it's ready for the 2500 mile roundtrip to Sturgis! I suppose I need to check the tires, all three fluid levels, and that sort of stuff - and of course, figure out what to pack in terms of tools, as this is my first and the bike's first road trip.

I just bought the King HD luggage rack for $65 and it looks/feels great (
Amazon Amazon
). What I love about this Amazon knock-off is that it is not glossy, it's more of a satin finish, which looks better with the denim black paint.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 07-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,992 Likes on 4,630 Posts

Figured I'd add pictures from the 5k service...

5,082 miles.

Popped the cork!

Drain plugs looks clean as a whistle.

Just an overall picture of the setup. 1) Oil Filter Drain Routing. 2) I guess I scraped a time or two! 3) Damn wind blew some oil around a bit.

Oil Filter Drain Funnel in place.

Backside of the oil filter drain funnel - a good check to make sure it is fully seated. For the love of GOD, PUT RAGS UNDER THE FUNNEL.

I probably could get away with a 4" extension instead of this 6".

Fill 'er up. Put in 4 qts. This is a hot reading (rode the bike to get it to full operating temp, parked it and let it idle for two minutes). If it's unclear, the level goes right to Full Hot on Jiffy Stand.
thanks..interesting tho..mine takes 4.25 qts to get 3/4 of the way up the HOT check for me, so 4.5 is Full Hot.....I don't have a jack so drain on Jiffy and you drained upright..not sure what to make of this significant difference..??

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Wow, I'm not sure. I know the book is closer to your numbers as well, and doesn't specify whether to drain on jiffy stand or not (I suppose it would be assumed to be on jiffy since it doesn't say to put the bike upright). Maybe it doesn't drain quite as much upright.

I left the drain plug out and filter off while I performed the rest of the 5k service, so it had plenty of time to drain. I could still see a visible amount in the cavity where the filter goes, but upright, it would not drain out. Highly doubt that was any more than a few ounces though.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,992 Likes on 4,630 Posts

Maybe it doesn't drain quite as much upright.
that has to be it..I drain on Jiffy until it just starts dripping, then stand it upright and it trickles a little more so getting as much as I can out..since the capacity is 5.2 quarts and a complete drain and refill allows 4.5 we still have over 1/2 a quart of old oil left in the engine mixing with the new..is what it is, working as designed as always has

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Alright, this time next week I will be getting the bike ready for Sturgis and I am searching for the list of critical fasteners that I've seen on this forum before, however, I'm coming up with nothing. Can anyone help me out?

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX