Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:32 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
So does this apply to non-ABS bikes as well?
Without a doubt. It's all written in your owners manual that came with the bike!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Maybe things are different in UK, but there are vehicle owners in US that can barely afford their rent, much less maintain their 4-wheeled vehicles, especially a brake fluid flush that many vehicle manufacturers don't list as a maintenance item.
That's a plea that can probably be made around the World - doesn't alter the fact that we each have duties and responsibilities as vehicle owners - to our passengers including family and every other road user!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Not sure why you think cages are any different. Friend at work was just quoted $850 for 30k service at the dealer. An independent shop still wants $400+ for same service.
I have been driving for almost 50 years and never once changed my brake fluid and never had a failure in my vehicles. I also have owned only 1 brand new vehicle in my life so used with miles is what its been for me.
Not saying its right, but changing this often is a little bit much.
You know the old saying,"if someone told you to jump off a bridge would you?"

Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I have been driving for almost 50 years and never once changed my brake fluid and never had a failure in my vehicles. I also have owned only 1 brand new vehicle in my life so used with miles is what its been for me.
That's a horrible analogy. A far more apt one would be something about wearing seatbelts or putting babies in car seats. When I learned to drive seatbelts were the things stuck in the crevices. Today I don't get in a vehicle without putting one on. My granddaughter is strapped into a rear facing car seat every time. I still remember my father flinging out his arm to keep me from sliding into the floorboards. If you don't choose to implement better safety practices than what you first learned then, well good luck to you.
But that wasn't what my post you quoted was about at all. I was simply pointing out the cost of recommended maintainece on cages is just as outrageous as on our bikes.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Just Me
I've been changing brake and clutch fluids regularly for OVER 50 years! Jus' sayin'......

Old 07-05-2017, 09:46 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,263 Likes on 4,437 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
So does this apply to non-ABS bikes as well?
Yes it does...

But.... the ABS units tend to be sensitive to moisture in the brake fluid and can amplify the problems. The HD ABS unit in particular, can actually disable your brakes if the ABS pistons freeze/stick due to moisture and corrosion.

There were several Harley ABS failures, and HD claiming the fault was improper maintenance due to lack of fluid changing, seemed to have sparked this debate... I admit that prior to these threads, I was unaware that changing brake fluid was a maintenance item. I've since done some research/reading and now accept it as a fact....

As you can tell from the answers to this and other brake fluid threads, many are unaware that brake fluid should be changed out at designated intervals. And manny, including some who work on vehicles, refuse to accept brake fluid is a maintenance item just because they never heard of it/did it.....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 849 Posts

same exact thread.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, I was trying to post off my phone and determining which post I was on was a mess, lol.
I can attest, car systems do also get contaminated but they hold a lot more fluid and most people dont notice as well as vehicles having power assisted brakes not noitcing their pedal motion as much. My dirt bike holds very little fluid and gets burnt and contaminated very quickly...bad enough that the pedal goes to the stop and I have no brakes. I have bled black fluid and water contamination out of those bikes frequently. when I flushed my RKC yesterday, there was water droplets in the old fluid and the fluid was getting dark. 22000 miles, 4 years old ridden in all conditions inculding rain and heat as well as used pretty hard in the rocky mountains. The fluid DID need changed. My 2 cents. Nobody is going to make you change yours...took me about 15 minutes in my garage with a mity vac, phillips, 10 mm and fluid. Mine is abs and i will ride it a bit and cycle more fluid though it to make sure the abs internals gets flushed good.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's a plea that can probably be made around the World - doesn't alter the fact that we each have duties and responsibilities as vehicle owners - to our passengers including family and every other road user!
You're suggesting changing brake fluid trumps putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads? You're a fool.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
same exact thread.

Yep, and there will be more...

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?